Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Great Global Warming Swindle
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Great Global Warming Swindle (Read 481 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle
Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 6:09pm:
That sounds like mindless nonsense to me...

In fact, I'm sure it is. 100% is pure. Nothing less.

I assume this was just meant to be snarky?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 4:42am:
This paper confirms your claim that natural gas produces roughly 1/2 the CO2 per watt as does coal.: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/students/dunlop/2011-Salovaara.pdf
However the definition of "order of magnitude" I learned at university still seems to be correct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_magnitude

Regardless, you're right that the lefties are foolish to oppose a switch to an alternative that produces 1/2 the CO2 (which they believe is baad). On the other hand it doesn't meet their real goal of CO2 neutral and renewable, so while i understand the point you were making, I still think their opposition to NG isn't really ironic, since it falls in line with their real goals.

Thanks for the comments and questions!

I was a math major, I'm not disputing your math.  But in the context of the conversation, I took order of magnitude to mean a game changer as opposed to a mathematical calculation.  In my view, 1/2 is a game changer. And as I pointed out, that's US, the effect would be far greater in second and third world fossil fuel plants.

I realize you didn't make this a major point.  Also, I did to your point feel a little oogie about it for the reason you raised, but I didn't introduce the term to the conversation and I thought holding it to the mathematical definition would be a ridiculously high hurdle for what would be a major emissions reduction

I may have been grossly misinformed about the amount of time that nuclear waste remains highly radioactive.  If this article is true, waste is only as radioactive as natural uranium after a few hundred years. Can you confirm?  https://www.visionofearth.org/news/does-nuclear-waste-last-millions-of-years/

I'm not sure what your point is relative to the conversation

Yucca Mountain is not an incontroversial storage site: critics claim that earthquakes and geothermal activity could result in contamination. In addition it seems to only have capacity for waste created up to 2010.  What do you think?: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/nuclear-waste-lethal-trash-or-renewab...

The critics make it up as they always do, but that's why it's in the middle of nowhere.  I don't see how this changes my point.  Again, compare that to what the global warming nut jobs are claiming global warming is going to do to our cities and countries and tell me that OMG, we can't do that!

I'm most interested in your claim that nuclear power companies have paid for storage costs up-front.  Can you provide some documentation for this?  They certainly didn't implement long-term storage solutions for the waste before taking-up operations.

Thanks

Show me where I said we "paid for" the storage up front.  The claim was we had not factored our costs up front.  If you've ever been through a GE planning cycle, you know we have

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:10am:
I assume this was just meant to be snarky?
No, sorry. I had my medication wrong. Not only was my pain controlled, but I was feeling drunk. Please forgive me.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I'm most interested in your claim that nuclear power companies have paid for storage costs up-front.  Can you provide some documentation for this?  They certainly didn't implement long-term storage solutions for the waste before taking-up operations.

They had to get lots of permits from governments before they could even start construction, much less operations, and they did, right from the get-go, do just what the government told them to do with the waste. They are still doing exactly what the 'regulators' tell them to do.

IP Logged

merkelstan

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Yeah well even calling the stuff 'waste' is a misnomer - it's highly valuable FUEL for fast neutron reactors.

"What is the thing that drives scientists most?  You think it's truth?  It's a SALARY.  You gotta eat first to be a scientist." - Dr. Bill Grey

"Obviously, the lack of any evidence just proves Russia is behind the lack of evidence." - AZJoe

IP Logged

merkelstan

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:04am
Print Post  

Purple is CO2, blue is temp.

"Gee mommy, the two seem to be uncorrelated, and no runaway greenhouse effect occurred with 10x today's CO2 concentration!"

"Shut up Jimmy.  You will pray to the IPCC 5 times a day."

"Obviously, the lack of any evidence just proves Russia is behind the lack of evidence." - AZJoe

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:04am:
"Shut up Jimmy.  You will pray to the IPCC 5 times a day."
After having been accused and scorned at school for being a "denier", young Jimmy would have most likely been cowed into saying nothing.

In the worst case, Jimmy would denounce his parents as wasteful deniers who should probably be sent to the camps.

Edit: I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that "the Camps" are much better under crony capitalism than under "pure" tyranny. Undecided

IP Logged

merkelstan

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
This is huge, men.

Around 90% of the "greenhouse gas" in the Earth's atmosphere is water vapor.  This vapor normally reflects heat back to the surface, but under certain conditions it forms clouds, which reflect solar energy back into space, cooling the planet.  This effect dwarfs that of CO2.

Please watch this documentary about this history-changing discovery, and how it has been supressed by the climate cult

A more recent lecture gives new information about the magnitude of the cloud effect.

Please watch and share!
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2017 at 11:40am by merkelstan »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 8:21am
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:49pm:
This is huge, men.

Around 90% of the "greenhouse gas" in the Earth's atmosphere is water vapor.  This vapor normally reflects heat back to the surface, but under certain conditions it forms clouds, which reflect solar energy back into space, cooling the planet.  This effect dwarfs that of CO2.

Please watch this documentary about this history-changing discovery, and how it has been supressed by the climate cult

A more recent lecture gives new information about the magnitude of the cloud effect.

Please watch and share!

People have known this for a long time. It was the mainstay of theories predicting the imminent coming of another ice age back in the '70s.
There is no problem with the knowledge other than it is incomplete. Water vapor and clouds are part of what determines the earths climate, but most of what controls water vapor in the atmosphere is solar radiation.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:38am
Print Post  
If I never hear the words global and warming again, I will be immensely grateful.

Whoever coined the term should be tried and executed.

Wallace Smith Broecker, Newberry Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University is blamed for introducing the term in 1975 in his paper:

Climatic Change: Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?

but at a trial, Broecker would likely say that he heard the term elsewhere.   No matter, someone needs to hang from a thick rope.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Great Global Warming Swindle
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy