Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Free markets, labor mobility, communities
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Free markets, labor mobility, communities (Read 603 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Free markets, labor mobility, communities
Reply #60 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:18pm:
This is what happens, you know, when you actually think instead of just accepting that anything in the basket with the bad thing is automatically bad.

My IQ is top tenth of a percent. I can't stop thinking. I can't not analyse things. That dogpile that just happened to you because you weren't exactly, constantly 180° from all the things next to the bad things?

That's my life.

Can you accurately gauge another person's IQ? I can in that I can tell if it's higher or lower than mine.

I think I can also discern genius. We shouldn't rely on numbers though to define IQ because there are several different IQ tests which use different scales. For example, there is one that define genius as around 160 while another is about 130+. That allows 130 in as Mensa level.

Do you know the names of the various tests? It would save me looking them up. If you do then I'll offer my opinion on yours for you, just to see how accurate I am. I think you might be above mine but not quite sure yet.

Did you ever try Mensa? I did and made it but just barely. Not officially because I didn't think it was important enough to pay to be in. Although I'm often curious on what they talk about and whether or not I could fit in their conversations.

Interesting if it's kept as a sensible discussion!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
Can you accurately gauge another person's IQ?

No. It's been long admitted that the Official Government Approved IQ Testing is flawed, very deficient and almost completely incapable of predicating anything at all.

In fact, rational people often think IQ tests are dangerous and should not be allowed anywhere near our children!

Edit:... Wait- you mean can I tell if Dissident Right is a dumbshit because he's allowed his lizard brain hatred to dominate his brain and crush logic before it? Sure, that's easy! Smiley

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:46pm:
No. It's been long admitted that the Official Government Approved IQ Testing is flawed, very deficient and almost completely incapable of predicating anything at all.

In fact, rational people often think IQ tests are dangerous and should not be allowed anywhere near our children!

Your children would be a lot safer if you allowed them IQ tests and kept the guns away from them and out of their schools.

That which is flawed in your country is not necessarily flawed in other normal countries.

But make all the comparisons you like and I'll be happy to acknowledge them if they are sensible. If it's something childish like saying Canada is cute then don't expect any reply.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:27am:
That's unfortunate.
Maybe if you hadn't ever been told you had a "genius level IQ" you would have tried harder to learn things about people and the world and paid more attention to developing some thinking skills...

Really, all this time here, and you can't grasp even the bare essentials of  classical liberal/libertarian ideas. Cry

I grasp them fine, they just contradict at certain points.

For example, all involuntary taking is theft yet it's not theft when the government does it.

Due process, yet self defence. (The aggressor's inviolable right to due process is being violated when you harm him without due process!)

Anyway, the point I'm making with my compulsive gloating (I do have one this time) is that you have the option to be morally correct and honest because you are blissfully ignorant of the fact that not everything touching a bad thing is bad itself. Is brushing your teeth bad because Hitler did it? You're free to think it is because you don't know any better.

I can't think that so if I want to be morally correct and say that everything that was ever in the same basket as slavery is wrong (like the South's right to secede) I can certainly condemn such a right, but in so doing I am forced to be intellectually dishonest.

You get to be honest and right because you genuinely don't know any better.

Don_G wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
Can you accurately gauge another person's IQ? I can in that I can tell if it's higher or lower than mine.

I think I can also discern genius. We shouldn't rely on numbers though to define IQ because there are several different IQ tests which use different scales. For example, there is one that define genius as around 160 while another is about 130+. That allows 130 in as Mensa level.

Do you know the names of the various tests? It would save me looking them up. If you do then I'll offer my opinion on yours for you, just to see how accurate I am. I think you might be above mine but not quite sure yet.

Did you ever try Mensa? I did and made it but just barely. Not officially because I didn't think it was important enough to pay to be in. Although I'm often curious on what they talk about and whether or not I could fit in their conversations.

Interesting if it's kept as a sensible discussion!

Let's just say I qualify for triple nines but I avoid high-IQ groups like the plague because they do terrible things to my sense of principles.

Most extremely intelligent people are justifiers who end up with boatloads of actually very good reasons the rules don't apply to them. They're not bad people; it's just an easy trap to fall into. If you understand the reason for a rule and it doesn't apply to the situation, you can ignore it, right? No harm, no foul?

I do this too if I go among them, and I don't like myself when I'm around them. I'll do anything for accolades, including justify. It's just something that takes my narcissism to a bad place, and is thus something I should avoid.

Just like Jeff should avoid alcohol (but he doesn't).

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:58am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 8:48pm:
I grasp them fine, they just contradict at certain points.

For example, all involuntary taking is theft yet it's not theft when the government does it.

Cheesy
Ho hum. Conflating legal taxation with theft is such an old anarchist idea that it bores the crap out of me.

As I said, if only you had learned to think... Kiss

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 8:02am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 8:48pm:
Most extremely intelligent people are justifiers who end up with boatloads of actually very good reasons the rules don't apply to them.
I disagree. I've known quite a few extremely intelligent people and none of them were/are like that at all.

You're just fantasizing (both that you are extremely intelligent, and that your evil rationalizing is somehow a symptom of you 'genius'. You're not. It's not.)

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:58am:
Ho hum. Conflating legal taxation with theft is such an old anarchist idea that it bores the crap out of me.

Well, it is theft, whether you like it or not. I don't care what Stevea says or what the law says: If I hold you up and take all the cash out of your wallet, that is theft.

It's theft no matter what anyone says about it, even if I'm dictator and I dictate that this behaviour is legal.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:08pm:
Well, it is theft, whether you like it or not. I don't care what Stevea says or what the law says: If I hold you up and take all the cash out of your wallet, that is theft.

It's theft no matter what anyone says about it, even if I'm dictator and I dictate that this behaviour is legal.
The theft is in not paying for the benefits society gives you. This is a pretty elementary concept for you to grasp.

If you don't want to pay your bills then don't keep charging up goods and services on your capitalist credit card. You can avoid doing that you know, to a small degee, to a large degree, or probably even completely.

IP Logged

kaz

Small Government Libertarian

Reply #68 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:38pm:
The theft is in not paying for the benefits society gives you. This is a pretty elementary concept for you to grasp.

If you don't want to pay your bills then don't keep charging up goods and services on your capitalist credit card. You can avoid doing that you know, to a small degee, to a large degree, or probably even completely.

Sure, that works.  So if society pays me shit then I owe society zero.  I'll agree to that

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him - Groucho Marx

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way - Mark Twain

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 11:26pm
Print Post  

Then welfare is still theft.

You're right. I don't have one. What does that have to do with anything?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Free markets, labor mobility, communities
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy