Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No one living on money confiscated by force should be able to vote
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) No one living on money confiscated by force should be able to vote (Read 3255 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

No one living on money confiscated by force should be able to vote
Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
The self interest of those such as welfare queens, government employees and social security/medicare receivers is just too great a conflict of interest that they should not be allowed to vote while they are living on other people's money.  They are burying us in spending and debt.

Notes:

1)  I would exempt the military since no one risks their lives for money

2)  I would not remove their right to vote permanently, just in the year they live on other people's money

Wow, we would be better off.  They are just voting themselves money.  That is to the point of the other thread on taxes being theft, theft.  It's armed robbery

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: No one living on money confiscated by force should be able to vote
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
So would this include folks who work for businesses that largely work for the government?  Companies that build, design, or operate sewers, roads, etc? 

Medical professionals that get some percentage of their income from Medicare?  Would it be any amount of their income or all of it or some cut off?  I'm a doctor who does 0/10/50/60/100 percent of my business from Medicare.  At which point do I loose the right to vote?

Why not the military?  Most don't risk their lives and they have two conflicts of interest.  They get paid by taxes and they have a vested interest in not going to war, even if its warranted.

IP Logged

kunstler
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
I don't think they really do vote. For the most part I read that elderly people and the upper middle class makeup the highest voter range.

It's all part of the romance of America's pseudo democracy, that we all live in a wasteland where other people call the shots, have voter apathy, and drift in a kind of void where an elite profiteers and the rest flounder in oblivion.

Not that there's no poetry in that kind of reality. Plenty of people seem to enjoy it.

IP Logged

kunstler
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
For many being Americans is perhaps too much responsibility. You can easily imagine people born in the USA and not feeling up to it, going through life trying to avoid voting, anything international, drinking too much alcohol in order to escape, because even though they may be unaware of their own mental state, actually being American is too much for normal Americans. So there is voter apathy.

Once you vote, you are moving toward internationalism, possibly thinking about the USA's action abroad, and even more responsibility for things out of your control, that foreigners will blame you for. Then you find jobs being outsourced abroad. Better to stick your head in a hole.

Being American for most Americans is like having the proverbial sunshine blown up your butt.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:36pm:
So would this include folks who work for businesses that largely work for the government?  Companies that build, design, or operate sewers, roads, etc? 

Great question.  I meant to include anyone who gets earmarks, which are just flat out armed robbery.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Those who win competitive bids aren't voting themselves money and can vote.

Medical professionals that get some percentage of their income from Medicare?  Would it be any amount of their income or all of it or some cut off?  I'm a doctor who does 0/10/50/60/100 percent of my business from Medicare.  At which point do I loose the right to vote?

Again, patients can go to any doctor.  People on Medicare would lose their right to vote, but as long as no one is required to go to you, you would not.  So that's as you ask where you would lose your right to vote, when anyone is required to use you as their doctor.  I don't think that's going to happen

Why not the military?  Most don't risk their lives and they have two conflicts of interest.  They get paid by taxes and they have a vested interest in not going to war, even if its warranted.

When you sign up for the military, you are signing up to defend the country and potentially put your life at stake doing it.  Trying to parse it and argue it soldier by soldier, position by position would be untenable.  I know a lot of military people and they are very different from bureaucrats

Thanks for the questions!

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
Great question.  I meant to include anyone who gets earmarks, which are just flat out armed robbery.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Those who win competitive bids aren't voting themselves money and can vote.

Again, patients can go to any doctor.  People on Medicare would lose their right to vote, but as long as no one is required to go to you, you would not.  So that's as you ask where you would lose your right to vote, when anyone is required to use you as their doctor.  I don't think that's going to happen

When you sign up for the military, you are signing up to defend the country and potentially put your life at stake doing it.  Trying to parse it and argue it soldier by soldier, position by position would be untenable.  I know a lot of military people and they are very different from bureaucrats

Thanks for the questions!

I think you are wrong on a few points.  If I'm an engineer who designs bridges, voting for a candidate that promises a big infrastructure plan is voting myself more money or at least job security.  The same goes for a Dr voting to expand medicare.  It means more money available for my industry and thus for me.

I was in the military and born on a military base, a lot of folks in the military are just bureacrats. 

Also, what about dudes on military retirements?  They aren't even at risk of risking their lives and who else gets a retirement at 38 years old?

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:05pm:
I think you are wrong on a few points.  If I'm an engineer who designs bridges, voting for a candidate that promises a big infrastructure plan is voting myself more money or at least job security.  The same goes for a Dr voting to expand medicare.  It means more money available for my industry and thus for me.

I was in the military and born on a military base, a lot of folks in the military are just bureacrats. 

Also, what about dudes on military retirements?  They aren't even at risk of risking their lives and who else gets a retirement at 38 years old?

Absolutely true. The military-industrial complex slash Deep State needs to be gutted.

If you are employed by the State or work for a contractor that is ultimately paid by the State, you have no business voting.

Conflict of Interest 101.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:05pm:

My proposal is military is exempt.  There's a pretty clear reason why, it's not that complicated.  You can ask the same question 50 different ways and it's still the same answer.  There's a fundamental difference between volunteering to defend your country and taking a job as a career bureaucrat thwarting the economy.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:08pm:
Notes:

Most of the people in our military don't ever risk their lives, but hopefully, all of them are having to work for their pay.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:08pm:
The self interest of those such as welfare queens, government employees and social security/medicare receivers is just too great a conflict of interest that they should not be allowed to vote while they are living on other people's money.  They are burying us in spending and debt.

Notes:

2)  I would not remove their right to vote permanently, just in the year they live on other people's money

Wow, we would be better off.  They are just voting themselves money.  That is to the point of the other thread on taxes being theft, theft.  It's armed robbery
I've contended many times on this forum that the privilege of voting should extend only to productive people.

Taxes laid and collected according to our Constitution are legal. Armed robbery is not legal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › No one living on money confiscated by force should be able to vote
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy