Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › US Navy Ship and Cargo Ship Collision
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) US Navy Ship and Cargo Ship Collision (Read 257 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

US Navy Ship and Cargo Ship Collision
Jun 18th, 2017 at 11:27am
Print Post  
https://www.rt.com/usa/392810-uss-fitzgerald-sailors-found-dead/

The cause and the blame would have been known immediately after the collision. Anyone with any maritime experience and Rules of the Road will know that.

Why the delay?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Re: US Navy Ship and Cargo Ship Collision
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Must be that the story is being buried and that would mean the US destroyer was to blame.
Hmmm?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
One is for certain:     We will never know what actually happened, or who was at fault. 

The story released to the press is obviously fake.  The Fitzgerald was dead in the water when she was rammed.  She wasnt even underway.  The Skipper was asleep.  The Fitzgerasld has muliple  redundant radar systems to alert them of approaching vessels. And multiple radar operators on watch 24/7.   So they want us to believe that the radar operator on ACX Crystal ignored his collision avoidance radar,  and all of the radar operators aboard the Fitzgerald ignored theirs, too?

Obviously, this did not happen.  The actual cause of the collision is known by very few people, and they have been ordered to keep it under their hats.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:03pm:
One is for certain:     We will never know what actually happened, or who was at fault. 

The story released to the press is obviously fake.  The Fitzgerald was dead in the water when she was rammed.  She wasnt even underway.  The Skipper was asleep.  The Fitzgerasld has muliple  redundant radar systems to alert them of approaching vessels. And multiple radar operators on watch 24/7.   So they want us to believe that the radar operator on ACX Crystal ignored his collision avoidance radar,  and all of the radar operators aboard the Fitzgerald ignored theirs, too?.

Obviously, this did not happen.  The actual cause of the collision is known by very few people, and they have been orsered to keep it under their hats.

You've added some light to the fog but you don't say where you've gotten it?

Where?

I would offer something entirely different due to the nature of the damage but that could be being hidden for some reason.

I don't think this can be kept under wraps but we may have to go to media outside the US/West to get at the truth. Worth keeping on for a while!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:11pm:
You've added some light to the fog but you don't say where you've gotten it?

I was an electrician on a US submarine for 3 years, so I know a few things about radar. 

Also, from the photos, we can tell the Fitzgerald was dead in the water at the time of the collision because the damage was very localized.  Had she been underway, we would see damage along the entire length of the starboard side of the Fitzgerald.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:34pm:
I was an electrician on a US submarine for 3 years, so I know a few things about radar. 

Also, from the photos, we can tell the Fitzgerald was dead in the water at the time of the collision because the damage was very localized.  Had she been underway, we would see damage along the entire length of the starboard side of the Fitzgerald.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4165744.1497702826!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivat...

Thank you. I too am familiar with radar, although probably to a lesser level than your experience. I owned a large sailboat with a 16 mile CRT radar. And so I don't understand how you are connecting this incident to your radar knowledge and experience. Other than the fact that both ships saw it coming on radar, as well as visually. So maybe you can explain.

I don't accept your analysis of the damage at all. I would visualize the destroyer moving at a slow speed and the other ship hitting it hard enough to just stick in position. That is because the bulb that is underwater was thoroughly imbedded too. We know that because the destroyer nearly sank. And we saw water being pumped from the destroyer at a rate that would have ensured sinking.

Agree?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Fwiw, I wouldn't rule out a slow speed maneuver by the destroyer to cross the bow of the other ship to purposely cause a collision.

Or more likely, a purposeful collision being caused by the other ship, due to the animosity against the US in those waters. This is something that would be kept covered up too.

Least likely, an accidental collision!

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
This is a bit of speculation along with some facts.

https://www.rt.com/usa/393768-fitzgerald-collision-freighter-autopilot/

RT likes to stay on a US story even after it's been dropped by the West's media.

How that destoyer managed to some off of the bow of the other ship and allow the other ship to keep steaming for another half hour is a mystery worth contemplating.

That really does go contrary to Chief's idea of the damage not being seen down the length of the destroyer. Huh?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:40pm:
Other than the fact that both ships saw it coming on radar, as well as visually. So maybe you can explain.

So you're suggesting that the radarman on the freighter and the radarmen on the Fitzgerald were all aware of the imminent collision, and all of them made the decision to not alert the OOD?   

Seriously? 

Don_G wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:40pm:
I don't accept your analysis of the damage at all.

Noted.

The reason the Fitzgerald couldn't perform an evasive maneuver is because she was dead in the water when struck by the freighter.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 23rd, 2017 at 1:06pm:
So you're suggesting that the radarman on the freighter and the radarmen on the Fitzgerald were all aware of the imminent collision, and all of them made the decision to not alert the OOD?   

Seriously? 

No, the RT story probably has some truth in it even though it raises the obvious question of what we can see as the damage to the destroyer. And it blows your theory all to hell in that it's claiming that the destroyer somehow slid off the bow of the freighter??

I would personally think it's hard to beleive that radar wasn't being manned on the destroyer, although it's very possible on  the other ship. I know that happens often that far at sea on frieighters.

Quote:
Noted.

The reason the Fitzgerald couldn't perform an evasive maneuver is because she was dead in the water when struck by the freighter.

That is possible. But being dead in the water raises some other questions too, that far from shore.

At least the RT story is enlightening in some ways. I was hoping you would have enough interest in the whole story to not be contrary about it.

As to what really happened??

A purposeful collision on the part of one or the other maybe? I don't lean either way on that right now but the whole thing just doesn't smell right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › US Navy Ship and Cargo Ship Collision
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy