Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Are Electric Cars Laughable? (Read 1679 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Aug 3rd, 2017 at 6:11am
Print Post  

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:01am
Print Post  
The would make sense for the guy who drives to and from work for 90% of his driving if the price is comparable to an average care used for that purpose.   Beyond that pretty laughable, a hybrid is a lot more sensible. 

If Tesla can get the Model through out at a reasonable price and decent range it will change things.  I don't think he will.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:02am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:01am:
The would make sense for the guy who drives to and from work for 90% of his driving if the price is comparable to an average care used for that purpose.   Beyond that pretty laughable, a hybrid is a lot more sensible. 

If Tesla can get the Model through out at a reasonable price and decent range it will change things.  I don't think he will.

Not to mention that unless powered by a nuclear power plant or a dam, electric cars aren't economically efficient zero emission and leftists oppose nuclear power

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
The problem is the government subsidies. Electric cars are fine and the tech was developed regardless of any government funded research that happened along side it. Heck, there are solutions and ideas suppressed by the big bad wolf and IP system that would improve vehicular technology in every which way possible.

In a real market, ideas compete. Winners are subjective because individuals all have different needs, so all solutions need to be on the table, something government regulations have done to hurt and distort current markets. Also for libertopian thinkers, electric car infrastructures can do without the 'pipe system', at least one centrally managed by bureaucrats.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:22am:
The problem is the government subsidies. Electric cars are fine and the tech was developed regardless of any government funded research that happened along side it.

In a real market, ideas compete. Winners are subjective because individuals all have different needs, so all solutions need to be on the table, something government regulations have done to hurt and distort current markets. Also for libertopian thinkers, electric car infrastructures can do without the 'pipe system', at least one centrally managed by bureaucrats.

In the real world the libertarian would be wholly conscious of the huge government subsidies that go to big oil, and then turn his/her/its support to electric.

Instead of gas stations on every other corner, there will be recharging stations. The environment demands it.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:25am:
In the real world the libertarian would be wholly conscious of the huge government subsidies that go to big oil, and then turn his/her/its support to electric.

Instead of gas stations on every other corner, there will be recharging stations. The environment demands it.

Wait, you think libertarians aren't aware and aren't against subsidizing and giving special treatment to oil?

See this crossroad? You can either fix your bad assumption that you run with or double down and ignore the facts.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Oh, and just in case there was any confusion here.

Elon Musk, the main proponent and founder of Tesla Inc is....

libertarian

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:29am:
Wait, you think libertarians aren't aware and aren't against subsidizing and giving special treatment to oil?

See this crossroad? You can either fix your bad assumption that you run with or double down and ignore the facts.

What are you on about? Do you even know yourself? I pointed out that people like you are worried about subsidies against electric but are ignoring subsidies to big oil that are thousands of times larger.

The question I would like to ask is, what's your schtick? There's a credibility gap!

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:35am:
Oh, and just in case there was any confusion here.

Elon Musk, the main proponent and founder of Tesla Inc is....

libertarian

Apparently a more moderate and sensible one!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:25am:
In the real world the libertarian would be wholly conscious of the huge government subsidies that go to big oil

Another leftist talking point lie.  Oil companies like other companies get to deduct their costs from their revenue.  We just tax their profits, like every other company.

There are no "subsidies," Sport.  Stop blindly parroting the American leftist media Fake News.

It's funny how you think that your ignoring this means no one else saw what a coward you are, LOL

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy