Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Are Electric Cars Laughable? (Read 651 times)
Crystallas
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:43am:
What are you on about? Do you even know yourself? I pointed out that people like you are worried about subsidies against electric but are ignoring subsidies to big oil that are thousands of times larger.

And I pointed out that I am not ignoring other subsidies. Are you sure you know what topic you're on? The thread is on electric cars. Will you bring up subsidies on corn next, because you want to link them to ethanol? Well, just a heads up, libertarians are against that too, so don't bother.

Seems like you just want to pick fights for the sake of it, and are incapable of discussion.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Electric cars are a niche market. Without some real breakthrough in battery and motor technology, some of the materials needed to produce electric cars are rare. There just aren't enough of them to produce an electric car for everyone who want or needs a car.

Of course after regressives finish destroying modern civilization and most of the worlds population is killed in wars or starves to death, the few special people who survive will all get top line Teslas. Angry

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:44am:
Apparently a more moderate and sensible one!

He's an AnCap. Which in some sense is moderate, yes. Anything voluntary is moderate if you use real metrics. Extreme would be force in one way or another.  Anyone that is fair, and not just a partisan should eventually come to the same conclusion.

Why do I bother anyways. You're not here for accuracy, just to troll us.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:40pm:
And I pointed out that I am not ignoring other subsidies. Are you sure you know what topic you're on? The thread is on electric cars. Will you bring up subsidies on corn next, because you want to link them to ethanol? Well, just a heads up, libertarians are against that too, so don't bother.

Seems like you just want to pick fights for the sake of it, and are incapable of discussion.

Great point Crystallas.  All Democrats have are anti-Republican talking points.  They aren't capable of adapting those to libertarian views, they were never trained to process Democrat points, just repeat them.

When you only have a hammer in your tool belt, everything looks like a nail.  So that's what Democrats like Don do, Democrat talking points against Republicans.  He can't process we aren't Republicans, it's above his pay grade

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #14 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:46pm:
He's an AnCap. Which in some sense is moderate, yes. Anything voluntary is moderate if you use real metrics. Extreme would be force in one way or another.  Anyone that is fair, and not just a partisan should eventually come to the same conclusion.

Why do I bother anyways. You're not here for accuracy, just to troll us.

Yes, libertarians are the true moderates in this country.  We don't want government to confiscate and redistribute our money and we don't want government prying in our bedrooms

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

stevea

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Interesting topic.

Kaz nailed the subsidy issue - 99.8% of what Left-tards call "oil subsidies" are exactly the same resource depletion allowance that every business gets to deduct from income.

Back on topic.

I applaud Tesla as an showman, and the current T-cars are cool, but pricey, & w/ limited range.  You put a Tesla into 0F weather, w/  the headlights lights & heater on, and pushing thru 10 inches of snow, and I doubt you see 150mile range.  Battery technology stinks - VERY heavy (the Tesla60 is well over 2 tons!), low energy density, too slow to recharge, limited life, nasty chems.  There are some interesting battery-alternative technology futures, like graphene super-caps or fuel cells, but nothing great near-term.
--

But the whole scenario is nonsense.  The future is driverless cars for rent (like Uber/driverless).  You schedule your trips as needed, and if you're going across town an electric shows up, and if you are going long-distance a LD fuel vehicle arrives.  Why would anyone want to OWN a vehicle that costs ~$30k-$40k, takes up garage space and gets used an hour per day ?  Once self-driving vehicles are perfected no one will want to pay the huge insurance costs for manual driving (which will cause all the accidents), and this will allow other optimizations like automatic traffic negotiations.   BTW homes won't have garages or driveways either.

These self-driving vehicles for hire will likely rack-up 100k miles per year each, so the design reqs change quite a bit.  That and the passenger experience will include food, beverage, communication, entertainment features.

So yeah - electrics may be prevalent for local commuter vehicles *IF* the cost,~200mi range and 35min recharge downtime makes economic sense.  I won't greatly care, since I don't own it.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #16 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
stevea wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:56pm:
Interesting topic.

Kaz nailed the subsidy issue - 99.8% of what Left-tards call "oil subsidies" are exactly the same resource depletion allowance that every business gets to deduct from income.

Back on topic.

I applaud Tesla as an showman, and the current T-cars are cool, but pricey, & w/ limited range.  You put a Tesla into 0F weather, w/  the headlights lights & heater on, and pushing thru 10 inches of snow, and I doubt you see 150mile range.  Battery technology stinks - VERY heavy (the Tesla60 is well over 2 tons!), low energy density, too slow to recharge, limited life, nasty chems.  There are some interesting battery-alternative technology futures, like graphene super-caps or fuel cells, but nothing great near-term.
--

But the whole scenario is nonsense.  The future is driverless cars for rent (like Uber/driverless).  You schedule your trips as needed, and if you're going across town an electric shows up, and if you are going long-distance a LD fuel vehicle arrives.  Why would anyone want to OWN a vehicle that costs ~$30k-$40k, takes up garage space and gets used an hour per day ?  Once self-driving vehicles are perfected no one will want to pay the huge insurance costs for manual driving (which will cause all the accidents), and this will allow other optimizations like automatic traffic negotiations.   BTW homes won't have garages or driveways either.

These self-driving vehicles for hire will likely rack-up 100k miles per year each, so the design reqs change quite a bit.  That and the passenger experience will include food, beverage, communication, entertainment features.

So yeah - electrics may be prevalent for local commuter vehicles *IF* the cost,~200mi range and 35min recharge downtime makes economic sense.  I won't greatly care, since I don't own it.

Great points.  I certainly think we should be continuing to develop electric cars, but it should be driven by the market, not the government.  When it's viable, electric cars will explode in the market.

I also agree on the future of car ownership and how fewer and fewer will want the hassle and expense of owning them.  I lived for years in Manhattan.  I didn't want a car.  I could literally rent a car whenever I wanted to go out of town for a fraction the cost of owning a car in Manhattan.  Same concept.  And with driverless cars, you don't have to worry about things like finding an Uber driver at 3am when you leave a bar.  A driverless car is going to be a lot cheaper and you don't have to deal with parking, gas, oil changes, ...

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:40pm:

Libertarians are against everything.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #18 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:56pm:
Libertarians are against everything.

We're for making our own choices, not you making them for us.

Tissue?

What we don't care is what choices you make over your own life

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:08pm:
When it's viable, electric cars will explode in the market.

If first. If someone produces electric cars that work for people, they will buy them. If people like them enough to buy a lot of them, the people making them will be able to make money.

Government regulation and subsidies throw a big ugly wrench into the whole equation. Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy