Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Are Electric Cars Laughable? (Read 646 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Reply #60 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 6:28pm:
Far more. Exponentially more. And they promised to do good things with it, like give us good safe roads adequate to the traffic they carry.

They do in Canada because our government is socially responsible!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
They do in Canada because our government is socially responsible!
You force working people who are struggling to buy a used Camry to subsidize College Professor's purchases of nice new Prius's?

(Is that right? Do I need another stinking apostrophe somewhere? Drat! Multiple Prii is what I meant... In my ignorance, I can't remember the plural of "dork" or Prius either... Grin)

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:01am:
The would make sense for the guy who drives to and from work for 90% of his driving if the price is comparable to an average care used for that purpose.   Beyond that pretty laughable, a hybrid is a lot more sensible. 

If Tesla can get the Model through out at a reasonable price and decent range it will change things.  I don't think he will.

Unfortunately the electric car will never get there because it's been crippled by subsidies, just as a child who always had a robo-mech to walk him around will never be able to use his legs.

It's sad.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #63 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:11am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 10:54pm:
Unfortunately the electric car will never get there because it's been crippled by subsidies, just as a child who always had a robo-mech to walk him around will never be able to use his legs.

It's sad.

Subsidies never go away.  Did you know they eliminated the tax in 2006 to fund ... the Spanish American war?

Why do we have farm subsidies in this country?  It's absurd.  The only way electric car subsidies are going away is if the electric car goes away

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 7:42am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:11am:
Subsidies never go away.  Did you know they eliminated the tax in 2006 to fund ... the Spanish American war?

Why do we have farm subsidies in this country?  It's absurd.  The only way electric car subsidies are going away is if the electric car goes away
Or, we could get control of the House of Representatives and they could stop appropriating money for subsidies... Or amend the Constitution so that it's clear that the commerce clause isn't a grant of general power that includes the power to subsidize some businesses at the expense of taxpayers.

BTW, I don't think taxes to support wars can properly be called subsidies.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #65 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 7:42am:
Or, we could get control of the House of Representatives and they could stop appropriating money for subsidies... Or amend the Constitution so that it's clear that the commerce clause isn't a grant of general power that includes the power to subsidize some businesses at the expense of taxpayers.

No shit.  My point was how nothing goes away.  Taxes, spending, subsidies, any of it

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 7:42am:

How about foreign aid with strings that require the money be spent on US produced arms? Or equipment the military doesn't want but congress makes them buy anyway?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:46am:
How about foreign aid with strings that require the money be spent on US produced arms? Or equipment the military doesn't want but congress makes them buy anyway?
That's not really subsidies either, just crony government corruption. Add military bases that the military doesn't want or need and a Billion Dollar embassy in Baghdad... Too many to list...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #68 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:46am:

It is amazing when Congress forces the military to spend on weapons programs it doesn't want and to keep bases open it wants to close.  And institutionally corrupt politicians in both parties vote for it.

The Constitution wasn't a suicide pact.  But the Federal budget is

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 1:54pm:
It is amazing when Congress forces the military to spend on weapons programs it doesn't want and to keep bases open it wants to close.  And institutionally corrupt politicians in both parties vote for it.

The Constitution wasn't a suicide pact.  But the Federal budget is
All of it makes sense if you look at it from the perspective of having a national government full of people who either hate America and want to destroy it, or are too greedy and shortsighted to care.

The TwoParty lock on the electoral process will destroy America. We need free and fair elections, and we need to repeal the 17th Amendment and make it clear that, as people of the time were told, the Constitution grants no general powers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Are Electric Cars Laughable?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy