Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Oil subsidies
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Oil subsidies (Read 896 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Oil subsidies
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 6:02pm:
That I agree on but can you also say that since your tanker truck is now worth 10K less than it was last year, you can claim you spent 75k+10k to operate your business and thus claim zero profit?

Of course.  If you have to buy an $80K tanker every eight years, you can't ignore that as a legitimate expense.  Note I know the depreciation schedule for that isn't $10K a year, but that doesn't change the point which is you should be able to write off $80K over eight years

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 8:30am:
Taxes and regulations put lots of small businesses out of business.

I'm a mechanic working for an airline. I buy tools to make my job possible. The company provides expensive and specialty tools, but I am expected as part of my job to have quite a few tools of my own.

What we need is the Fair Tax, that will eliminate those issues as there would be no business write offs either.  You have two choices:

1)  Find a job with an employer who will provide you those tools

2)  Incorporate and have a contract between you and your employer to provide your services rather than you being an employee.  As a consultant I do this regularly.  It allows me to write off lots of things I can't write off when I'm an employee.  Cars, automobile insurance, gas, car repairs, phones, Internet, computers, office supplies ...

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:32pm:
When the lefties are wrong, they're right. That's why they call them left.

The best argument (and I think a valid one) in favour of their cause here is that "green" energy is the one getting ridiculous subsidies. It will never be forced to earn its own, and like an infant given a set of robotic legs early on, it will never learn to stand.

Out of the mouths of babes ...  You're dead on accurate, Opposition

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 11:11am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 10:32pm:
When the lefties are wrong, they're right. That's why they call them left.

The best argument (and I think a valid one) in favour of their cause here is that "green" energy is the one getting ridiculous subsidies. It will never be forced to earn its own, and like an infant given a set of robotic legs early on, it will never learn to stand.

The biggest problem your country is creating for itself is that it's being left behind. All the most progressive countries in the world have moved to renewable energy as quickly as they can. Some Scandinavian countries are predicting the time at which they will be totally independent from petroleum for energy.

If there's something that needs some haters to push it along, just give it to some libertarians. They hate everything.

But isn't if funny when they get confused on what to hate and what to support? That's where they seem to be stumbling along now on fossil fuels. LOL

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 11:11am:
The biggest problem your country is creating for itself is that it's being left behind. All the most progressive countries in the world have moved to renewable energy as quickly as they can. Some Scandinavian countries are predicting the time at which they will be totally independent from petroleum for energy.

If there's something that needs some haters to push it along, just give it to some libertarians. They hate everything.

But isn't if funny when they get confused on what to hate and what to support? That's where they seem to be stumbling along now on fossil fuels. LOL

Germany uses 80% fossil fuel energy, but their goal is that in 2030 it will be 80% renewable with no realistic plan to get there.  Yet Democrats like you continually give them credit for being there now

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 11:25am:
Germany uses 80% fossil fuel energy, but their goal is that in 2030 it will be 80% renewable with no realistic plan to get there.  Yet Democrats like you continually give them credit for being there now
Not to mention that there energy prices have increased along with there increase in reliance on renewables, but that's ok, it only really hurts poor people.

As to the Scandinavian Countries,at least in the case of Norway, they've funded their transition to renewables by selling oil to the rest of us.

Then theirs France, so they seem to be abandoning nukes in favor of....probably not wind and solar.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:00pm:
Not to mention that there energy prices have increased along with there increase in reliance on renewables, but that's ok, it only really hurts poor people.

As to the Scandinavian Countries,at least in the case of Norway, they've funded their transition to renewables by selling oil to the rest of us.

Then theirs France, so they seem to be abandoning nukes in favor of....probably not wind and solar.

Thank you for making my case for me on Germany and Norway. I don't pay attention to grunting from the pig because it doesn't understand being proven wrong.

Do you mean France is abandoning 'nuclear energy' when you say they are abandoning nukes.

You're useful at times but I don't think you are smart enough to be taking part on a talk forum. For a start, your spelling and grammar is stuck at an elementary school level. It causes confusion a lot of the time.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:10pm:
You're useful at times but I don't think you are smart enough to be taking part on a talk forum.
Oddly, I feel the same of you, sure your grammar and spelling are fine but your style of argument is largely name calling and ignoring points made by your opposition.
For a start, your spelling and grammar is stuck at an elementary school level. It causes confusion a lot of the time.
Unfortunately that's a fair criticism.  Its mostly the result of being in a hurry, laziness, and being an engineer for the last 15 years.

Now, back to the original question.  Do you know what subsidies are provided to oil companies that are not also available to other similar large scale corporations?

Edit to add, so your point about Scandinavia is that they're hypocrites?

Yes, I meant France appears to be abandoning nuclear power.  What they replace it with remains to be seen but I suspect fossil fuels will figure prominently.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:00pm:

Yep.  Scandinavian have comparatively tiny energy needs and they have much oil to pay for it.  Environmentalists reject nuclear which is the only cost effective large scale zero emissions energy producer because nuclear.

The best solution is to start replacing coal and higher emissions power plants with natural gas and lower emissions producing plants, but environmentalists reject that as well.

Until the left gets serious and sits at the table with integrity, they just need to be ignored

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you for making my case for me on Germany and Norway. I don't pay attention to grunting from the pig because it doesn't understand being proven wrong.

Do you mean France is abandoning 'nuclear energy' when you say they are abandoning nukes

That's classic.  France is phasing out nuclear power, they are not abandoning nuclear weapons.  Don't criticize people while you're being a dolt.  Speaking of which ...

You're useful at times but I don't think you are smart enough to be taking part on a talk forum. For a start, your spelling and grammar is stuck at an elementary school level. It causes confusion a lot of the time.

The plural of "is" is "are."  Just FYI.  Then there's how you think "alright" is a word.  It's "all right."  Alright is an informal word, meaning you only use it when you're writing pseudo English and using other informal words like "aint," which aint a word either

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Oil subsidies
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy