Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Progress toward Peace- US's biggest fear.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Progress toward Peace- US's biggest fear. (Read 853 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Progress toward Peace- US's biggest fear.
Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
From RTnews:

Quote:
7 White Helmets killed in Syria's Idlib province
Seven members of the controversial Syrian Civil Defense group, better known as the White Helmets were killed by “unknown armed men” in the group’s office in the town of Sarmin, Idlib province, on Saturday morning, the group said on Twitter. According to the organization, this was “single most deadly attack” against its members. It was allegedly carried out by “a criminal gang,” it added. "Two minibuses, some white helmets and walkie-talkies were stolen,” the White Helmets said, as cited by AFP. An opposition activist told AP on condition of anonymity that the attack might have been carried out by an Islamic State (IS, also known as ISIS/ISIL) cell in the town to show that Idlib province is not safe. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

Wrong speculating on who were the perps that offed them. The White Helmets 'are' the Islamic State, serving US interests.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 2:01pm:
Elections in Syria like most of the world have nothing to do with political ideology.  They are tribal.  No way Assad would win an election.  He's Shiite, the population is primarily Sunni.  He wouldn't have a chance.  Doesn't matter what his politics are

Depending on who you ask they may not even be Shiites, they're alwaites.  They were widely regarded as heretics by both Shiia and Sunni, the Assads have spent a lot of effort trying to convince Muslims otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alawites

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:55pm:
Depending on who you ask they may not even be Shiites, they're alwaites.  They were widely regarded as heretics by both Shiia and Sunni, the Assads have spent a lot of effort trying to convince Muslims otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alawites

They are considered Shiites, but yeah, they are a distinct group.

I realize you're supporting my point that Assad would have zero chance of winning an election regardless of his political views.

Don thinks the Sunnis elected and support Assad, now that's some amazing ignorance of the middle east.  He continually shows he doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

He didn't know about the Russian naval base in Syria.  He didn't know about the proposed Gulf to Europe pipeline that would go through Syria and the Russians want to block as it would directly compete with them.  He didn't know that the Russians want to keep the Iranians out of Syria as it would be bad for business.  He doesn't know shit.  And he has no hesitation to flaunt that

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I think it depends on who you ask and what's in for them as to whether Alwaites are Muslims.    I think its worth pointing out that they are members of a tiny sect though.  Just saying Shiite, doesn't quite capture it.  A bit like referring to Branch Davidians as protestants.  True but missing some important information.

Any rate.

@Don

Quote:
Some minorities believe only Assad's authority will protect them from groups like ISIL. Iraq's "blood-soaked killing fields" nearby only increase this fear, serving as a terrifying example of ISIL's capability for mass ethnic cleansing. According to Abboud, however, the concept of Assad as protector is a dangerous line of belief.

Quote:
A new clique of business owners began forming under Assad's neoliberal policies. Benefiting from the regime's crony capitalism, these families often lived in major cities and held close family or social ties to the Assads.

They concentrated ownership of major telecommunications, energy and construction industries among a sliver of no more than 200 people, according to some estimates. In 2011, the Financial Times estimated that Assad's cousin, Remi Makhlouf, owned up to 60 percent of the national economy.

Though media narratives often maintain that Assad's support comes from his Alawite sect, today many of the regime's core backers reside in this generation of technocrats - some of them Sunnis - who found economic prosperity under his regime.

Beyond this super elite is also a swath of medium-sized business owners and merchants. Many of them had also seen their livelihoods improve under Assad, and had no interest in changing the status quo when the uprising began.
Essentially what support he has is because he's the devil they know and from a small group of crony capitalists. 

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/syria-bashar-al-assad-power-16090408113814...

Some more light reading:
https://www.swp-berlin.org/fileadmin/contents/products/research_papers/2014_RP04...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:07pm:
I think it depends on who you ask and what's in for them as to whether Alwaites are Muslims

Well, a fatwa in 1973 did declare them Shiites.  Sunnis think Shiites are "dogs," so no, I can't imagine they have any respect for an offshoot of dogs.  That seems to be correct as I understand they believe like Shiites that Imam Ali is the heir to Mohammed.  But yeah, there are also many differences

ahhell wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:07pm:
I think its worth pointing out that they are members of a tiny sect though.  Just saying Shiite, doesn't quite capture it.  A bit like referring to Branch Davidians as protestants.  True but missing some important information

I agree "Shiite doesn't quite capture it."  They have a lot of other differences.  But they are more Shiite than Sunni as the correct heir to Mohammed is the cause of the schism in Islam.  Hard for me to imagine, but then I loosely consider myself a Christian even though I don't care if he walked on earth or was the son of God, so I'm not the one to defend religious dogma.

They are bigger than the Branch Dividians though, they are about 13% of the Syrian population.  They are small, but that isn't "tiny."

Anyway, the core point we agree on.  The majority Sunnis in Syria would never have elected Assad

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

stevea

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Name even ONE Russian controlled nation that wasn't an economic basket case and a human rights atrocity.

You imagine that Russian's helping Assad kill or run-off all the non-Alawites is some victory ?  You imagine that they won't have loads of trouble w/ ISIL in the West, the yet-to-be unleashed alQaeda in the East and the SDF the US has armed that is taking out Raqqa ?

"what a fool believes ..."

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
stevea wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:57pm:
Name even ONE Russian controlled nation that wasn't an economic basket case and a human rights atrocity.

You imagine that Russian's helping Assad kill or run-off all the non-Alawites is some victory ?  You imagine that they won't have loads of trouble w/ ISIL in the West, the yet-to-be unleashed alQaeda in the East and the SDF the US has armed that is taking out Raqqa ?

"what a fool believes ..."

The US forms no distinction between Arabs of one sect over another. The US gameplan is complete control over the ME. We'll get into the reasons in due course.

The only thing important right now is that Russia stands in the way of the US's PNAC progress. Blame Obama, his name will live in fame for the millions of lives saved by allowing Russia to be empowered in Syria.

Your future planned wars of aggression throughout the world Americans,  are now going to be challenged by the world's other super powers.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:51pm:
The US forms no distinction between Arabs of one sect over another

That's you, moron.  We've been discussing this for month's and you've never once grasped how sects are relevant

Don_G wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:51pm:
The US gameplan is complete control over the ME. We'll get into the reasons in due course.

The only thing important right now is that Russia stands in the way of the US's PNAC progress. Blame Obama, his name will live in fame for the millions of lives saved by allowing Russia to be empowered in Syria.

Your future planned wars of aggression throughout the world Americans,  are now going to be challenged by the world's other super powers.

Back to your pompous finger pointing.  You're just a judgmental ass, and why you haven't a clue what's going on in the world.

Leftists are the first to whine about judging and you're the first to judge

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:52am
Print Post  
The extreme rightist domestic violence in the land of the gun, points to an indication of why that people are perpetrating violence throughout the world.

It appears to be an arrogance they feel they are entitled to express, both at home and in other countries.

Where are the decent leftist moderates. Are the people in the more northern states being outnumbered by Trump supporters and hillbillies of the south? Where will it end? Another Kent State massacre to make Tianammen square look like a walk in the park?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:52am:
The extreme rightist domestic violence in the land of the gun, points to an indication of why that people are perpetrating violence throughout the world.

It appears to be an arrogance they feel they are entitled to express, both at home and in other countries.

Where are the decent leftist moderates. Are the people in the more northern states being outnumbered by Trump supporters and hillbillies of the south? Where will it end? Another Kent State massacre to make Tianammen square look like a walk in the park?

Blah, blah, hate, vitriol, demagoguery, sanctimony ...

Just another Racist Don post

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Progress toward Peace- US's biggest fear.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy