Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Freedom of Speech
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Freedom of Speech (Read 5786 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Freedom of Speech
Reply #220 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Hundreds of protesters swarmed UC Berkeley on Thursday evening as conservative writer Ben Shapiro spoke on campus, with law enforcement out in force to prevent a repeat of recent violent clashes between far-left and far-right agitators.

Nine people were arrested, four of them for carrying banned weapons. One was held on suspicion of battery on a police officer. Hundreds of law enforcement officers, many in riot gear, prepared for violence and seized potential weapons, but no major skirmishes were reported.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-berkeley-protest-shapiro-20170914-...

Shapiro's speech was titled “Say No to Campus Thuggery.”    How apropos!

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #221 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
stevea wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 9:04pm:
What part of "inalienable rights" don't you understand ?

That foolish, shallow, nonsense thinking is exactly how demagogues replace liberty with slavery.
There really are a FEW rights that may be lawfully be temporarily suspended, habeus corpus in case of insurrection for example.  No reasonable person would accept more.  You are merely an apologist for big dictatorial government and are clueless wrt freedom & rights.

Sorry - there is no "break in case of emergency" sign on the bill of rights, and anyone who excuses these violations on that basis are fools.  The airport searches and data collection w/o warrant are just as vile as the Japanese-American internment in WW2.  Your ideas align with authoritarianism, tyranny and dictatorship.

So says a political eunuch.   You and the  intrusive, paternalistic government you advocate don't get to decide what others values or, nor revise their rights.   You really don't understand liberty at all; you were a complacent wage-slave converted to being a state-slave; go chew your cud somewhere else.

The question you put to me in that post is: what part of inalienable rights don't you understand.

How am I supposed to answer that kind of question?

Then you go on to accuse me of nonsense thinking, etc. etc.

Are you aware of your demeanour and the reason why no conversation is possible with you?

edit: In retrospect, I did notice that you seem to be saying airport procedures for screening passengers are infingements on your rights and your bill of rights. (a guess at your intent)

I'm of the opinion that all the procedures being used in airports are necessary and much more important right now than that which is only 'your' perception of infringements against your right/bill of rights.

That's an honest attempt to deal with your screeching anger!

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #222 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:26am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:07am:
Hundreds of protesters swarmed UC Berkeley on Thursday evening as conservative writer Ben Shapiro spoke on campus, with law enforcement out in force to prevent a repeat of recent violent clashes between far-left and far-right agitators.

Nine people were arrested, four of them for carrying banned weapons. One was held on suspicion of battery on a police officer. Hundreds of law enforcement officers, many in riot gear, prepared for violence and seized potential weapons, but no major skirmishes were reported.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-berkeley-protest-shapiro-20170914-...

Shapiro's speech was titled “Say No to Campus Thuggery.”    How apropos!

Thanks for posting the story Chief. You are closer to the problem than I am so you would be the one who could best analyze the reasons for all this unrest in your country. That would possibly serve a purpose for this forum at least, and you never know, rationality in place of kneejerk conclusions may be catching!

Fwiw, I'll start by saying that the media is inciting violence on both sides of the political arena. But that's not getting right back to the root causes.

Discontent among the people would be where I would start my analysis.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #223 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Fwiw, I'll start by saying that the media is inciting violence on both sides of the political arena. But that's not getting right back to the root causes.

Here's the real Root cause:  Califonians hate Free Speech.  It's a fact.  UC Berkely was the source - they did the survey. 

Quote:
Discontent among the people would be where I would start my analysis.

"Discontent" is a very broad term.  I would refine it down to Hate of Free Speech.  To illustrate how incredibly stupid California has become with Free Speech, check this out: 

A California high school is warning its students that chanting “USA” at sporting events could send an “unintended message” to students.

Officials at Vista Del Lago High School in Folsom are telling students that the chants could be deemed offensive to other students. [LOL!!]

California school districts have dealt with complaints about students displaying symbols of patriotism at school sporting events because critics say they could be interpreted as symbols of “white supremacy” and “nationalism". [LOL!!]

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/09/14/california-school-usa-chant-sport...

You can't make this stuff up, folks.  Grin

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #224 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
Here's the real Root cause:  Califonians hate Free Speech.  It's a fact.  UC Berkely was the source - they did the survey. 

Chief, Californians don't hate free speech any more than timbuktu hates free speech. That's not you talking now and I'm not going to talk to that other person in a serious tone!

Quote:
"Discontent" is a very broad term.  I would refine it down to Hate of Free Speech.  To illustrate how incredibly stupid California has become with Free Speech, check this out: 

A California high school is warning its students that chanting “USA” at sporting events could send an “unintended message” to students.

Officials at Vista Del Lago High School in Folsom are telling students that the chants could be deemed offensive to other students. [LOL!!] [/quote]

On the surface it doesn't sound legitimate but I'm not aware of the particular circumstances. There could be valid reason if other nationalities are involved or it's directed at a minority in some way.

Quote:
California school districts have dealt with complaints about students displaying symbols of patriotism at school sporting events because critics say they could be interpreted as symbols of “white supremacy” and “nationalism". [LOL!!]

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/09/14/california-school-usa-chant-sport...
[/quote]

Judging by your estimation of Californians as stated above, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the issues white supremacy and nationalism were the reasons why the school found it necessary to take action.

If you are interested in continuing the conversation in the calm way in which it has proceeded so far, I will look for another source for the story to get perhaps another spin on what's going on.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #225 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Judging by your estimation of Californians as stated above, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the issues white supremacy and nationalism were the reasons why the school found it necessary to take action.

This is priceless!!  I sincerly thank you for your willingness to drive home my point about leftists going to extremes to suppress Free Speech.

I owe you one!   Smiley

Quote:
I will look for another source for the story to get perhaps another spin on what's going on.

I found this related story.  (Its got a lot of pop-up ads... sorry...)

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/14/high-school-usa-chant/

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #226 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
https://www.fcusd.org/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=8&ModuleInstanceID=2...

The principal doesn't state it but it's a pretty fair guess to say that the chanting was intended to be 'in the face' of Hispanic players from the other school playing football.

That's not my comment on whether it was right or wrong, respectful or disrespectful. It's only my guess at why the big deal.

Not all Californians Chief, that's ridiculous. But maybe your condemnation of 'some' Californians for a different reason than you allege?

That's my take on it! It's consistent with my socially responsible or socially slanted bent. I'm always going to be more interested in what's really going on that what Breitbart suggests is going on.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #227 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:02pm:
This is priceless!!  I sincerly thank you for your willingness to drive home my point about leftists going to extremes to suppress Free Speech.

I owe you one!   Smiley

I never imagined for a minute that we would be able to see eye to eye on this Chief. But thank you for keeping it at least semi-noninsulting anyway.

I just don't feel it's the best example to use for making the point about suppression of free speech. The Principal's explanation was well intentioned in my opinion.

The issue seems to be the Hispanics who were present and it didn't take much digging to find that. It appears to me that the students doing the chanting were acting to deliberately insult the other non-white players.

What's your honest opinion of why this happened? A principal of a school deliberately attempting to suppress free speech??

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #228 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/14/high-school-usa-chant/

Well imagine that! Who would have ever thought that it could have been skin colour that was behind the reason for the chanting.

Sometimes all that is necessary is for one of the participants to provide the answer!

And we know by the message sent out by the principal that skin colour was never inferred by her!

It's got a bad smell coming from it and it's not consistent with libertarianism.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #229 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not all Californians Chief, that's ridiculous. But maybe your condemnation of 'some' Californians for a different reason than you allege?

My condemnation of Californians is based on the fact they are [collectively] the dumbest people in the nation. The proof is that leftist wackos at Vista Del Lago High School conflate chants of "USA" with “white supremacy” and “nationalism.”   

There are no words in the English language that properly describe the staggering stupidity of these administrators.   

Quote:
I'm always going to be more interested in what's really going on that what Breitbart suggests is going on.

You don't like the message so you discredit the source - typical leftist strategy.  Thanks for doing that.   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Freedom of Speech
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy