Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What, if any, Taxes are Acceptable in a Libertarian System?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What, if any, Taxes are Acceptable in a Libertarian System? (Read 369 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What, if any, Taxes are Acceptable in a Libertarian System?
Reply #20 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 24th, 2017 at 12:53pm:
People like you always resort to the 'troll' charge in order to have differing opinions censored.
You've been censored here dipshit?

When?

Who did it, so I can attack them as an illiberal tyrant?

Name an instance of censorship, and libertarians/classic liberals will fight against it.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2017 at 4:57pm:

When?

Name an instance of censorship, and libertarians/classic liberals will fight against it.

It hasn't happened yet. Stevea has has asked for it to happen and has led the charge. You've sided with him too!

I'm tired of giving you special consideration when you're on your pain killers or booze, whatever. You need to start acting like a responsible adult now.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 24th, 2017 at 4:57pm:

When?

You'll have to attack me then, Jeff.  I'm the one who had him censored.  Don_G. made an unsavory remark about my Mother. Who is dead.   I asked the Moderator to delete the entire thread, which he did.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:06am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 2:39am:
You'll have to attack me then, Jeff.  I'm the one who had him censored.  Don_G. made an unsavory remark about my Mother. Who is dead.   I asked the Moderator to delete the entire thread, which he did.
Your complaint was legitimate. It seems it's the moderator who was the illiberal tyrant in that instance... Except that illiberal tyranny when it comes to your own property is neither illiberal or tyrannical, it's just the exercise of your property rights. That's what the moderator did. Set a limit on how his property may be used by guests.

In fact, "censorship" is something that can only be done by government. The Donat is still free to malign your Mother on other forums... In fact, he could probably do it again here.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Back on topic, I just read about a tax I hadn't known of called the Single Tax.
What it is is a tax on land to the exclusion of all other taxes. Only land is taxed, not any improvements to the land, and the tax is apportioned. You own 100 acres, your tax is 100 times the tax on my one acre.

What do you think? I think I like it...

IP Logged

burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
Back on topic, I just read about a tax I hadn't known of called the Single Tax.
What it is is a tax on land to the exclusion of all other taxes. Only land is taxed, not any improvements to the land, and the tax is apportioned. You own 100 acres, your tax is 100 times the tax on my one acre.

I was hoping someone would bring that up.  I think I like it also.

It seems appropriate in a libertarian system because land ownership, unlike owning other types of private property, is almost entirely dependent on government.  Anyone who owns land today either bought it our inherited it or whatever.  But at some point in the past that land was granted by government to someone.  Before that the now privately owned land was available to anyone to use. 

That is different from people's work product.  If a person takes raw materials from the land and creates wealth with it, that wealth belongs to the creator.  Just as a fisherman takes fish from the sea and has the right to sell the fish.

Since owning the land is dependent on government, it makes sense that land owners should pay for that privilege.  It could still be voluntary if the government states that if you don't pay the land tax, you can still own the land.  But the government won't help you if someone moves on it and starts building a  house.  Some landowners might want to defend their own land rather than pay the tax but most wouldn't want to spend the energy and money to guard their real estate.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:11am:
...the Single Tax.

I vote YES.      Smiley

I can foresee the bitter opposition to such a tax.  The guy in upstate New York with 100 acres will pay the same Tax as the corporate mogul in Manhattan with 100 acres.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:02pm:
I vote YES.      Smiley

I can foresee the bitter opposition to such a tax.  The guy in upstate New York with 100 acres will pay the same Tax as the corporate mogul in Manhattan with 100 acres. 

A word of caution: The farmer who owns 6 sections of land would pay billions if he paid equivalent to the guy that owns a city lot in downtown New York. (this would be assuming you weren't intending to lower tax on city lots) (a whole new conversation)

The only point is, it might not work. Libertarians would have to have a closer look before enacting such laws.

For that reason I would have to be opposed to it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:19pm:
A word of caution: The farmer who owns 6 sections of land would pay billions if he paid equivalent to the guy that owns a city lot in downtown New York. (this would be assuming you weren't intending to lower tax on city lots) (a whole new conversation)

I just heard about it, I don't know how it would be applied specifically, but I'm pretty sure all the farmers and ranchers and owners of large tracts of land will vehemently oppose a per acre tax that bankrupts them, so the per acre tax is likely to be very low. Landowners in Manhattan would not pay much at all. I know you find that thought morally repugnant. Too bad.

It's most likely that the tax would end up being levied on the value of the land per acre times the number of acres.

The real problem is out government just loves to tax wages and salaries, because that's where the easy money is, and lots of it.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 3:27pm:
The real problem is out government just loves to tax wages and salaries, because that's where the easy money is, and lots of it.

Yep.  If government collected only the Taxes needed to sustain itself and pay interest on loans from the Fed,  the US Military would be MUCH smaller.  We wouldn't have over 700 military bases spread across the globe, and we wouldn't be intervening in foreign civil wars.

And Rocket Man wouldn't be racing to build ICBMs capable of reaching the US mainland.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What, if any, Taxes are Acceptable in a Libertarian System?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy