Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Statist Anthem Protest
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Statist Anthem Protest (Read 225 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Statist Anthem Protest
Sep 25th, 2017 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Don't know yet if the AP will cover this:
https://www.rt.com/usa/404417-nfl-anthem-protests-trump/

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Statist Anthem Protest
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 2:24am:
Don't know yet if the AP will cover this:
https://www.rt.com/usa/404417-nfl-anthem-protests-trump/

Not only in football but also other professional sports. This is going to be a huge hit to Trump personally because he needs to be seen as an insider with professional athletes. It's what people like Trump think is the coolest thing in the world!

And now even his personal friend, the star quarterback, what's his name, has shit on Trump.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017 at 1:44pm by Don_G »  

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Refusing to stand for the National Anthem sends a powerful message. Many people see it as disrespecting the National Anthem and America.  It's really not.

It's a racial solidarity statement.

Trump was wrong to call for these football players to be fired. They were excercising Free Speech.  And Trump was wrong to call Kaepernick a "son of a bitch".  We should expect more our President.

Disgusting!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
Not only in football but also other professional sports. This is going to be a huge hit to Trump personally because he needs to be seen as an insider with professional athletes.

Why does our President need to be in the Team Owners Club?

Who this anti-American protest seems to be actually hitting is the team owners and the media that broadcast sports... Viewership is down, in righteous protest of the kneeling.

I don't care much. The sports I like won't be affected...  Unless they end up getting more air time. Cool!

Anyway, Why does our President "need to be seen as an insider" with Pro Sports? That's seems absurd on it's face.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:11pm by Jeff »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I'm hoping for more motorcycle roadracing and tennis... The shooting sports would be nice too... just the ones that are fun to watch though.... FABOIJ's is what I say. Smiley

IP Logged

burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
As a libertarian, I just laugh at this whole controversy.  Colin Kaepernik has an absolute right to disrespect the flag and the national anthem and the NFL has an absolute right to fire him for it or proudly encourage others to do the same.

As a spectator of political bloodsport, I have to say that for the left to allow Trump to be symbolized by the flag and the national anthem and vice-versa may well go down in history as the dumbest PR move ever.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 8:55pm:
As a spectator of political bloodsport, I have to say that for the left to allow Trump to be symbolized by the flag and the national anthem and vice-versa may well go down in history as the dumbest PR move ever.
Trump is no symbol of America to any rational person, but if he is for some strange reason a symbol of American to some people, how would "the left" prevent it? By PR and re-labeling things again?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Trump is no symbol of America to any rational person, but if he is for some strange reason a symbol of American to some people, how would "the left" prevent it? By PR and re-labeling things again?
The can't prevent it, but they don't have to add to it by promoting NFL players who say that they kneel for the anthem because they don't like Trump. 

If Flag=Trump, Trump wins.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 8:55pm:
As a libertarian, I just laugh at this whole controversy.  Colin Kaepernik has an absolute right to disrespect the flag and the national anthem and the NFL has an absolute right to fire him for it or proudly encourage others to do the same.

It's a very interesting question on rights. I think the question would be answered forthwith if the team fired Kaepernik!

His right to protest would be upheld and he would keep his job!
I think there would be little doubt that the people would uphold the players' right to withdraw their services.

Could that have something to do with your dissertation I'm expecting from you on how rights are granted?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's a very interesting question on rights. I think the question would be answered forthwith if the team fired Kaepernik!
Well, the way the NFL works, the team doesn't have to fire him.  He finished his contract and the team chose not to renew and no other team picked him up.  Unfortunately for him, he's not that good of a player than he can argue that there is no way he was fired just for not being good enough.

Quote:
His right to protest would be upheld and he would keep his job!

I think there would be little doubt that the people would uphold the players' right to withdraw their services.
My wife is a teacher and one of her new colleagues is from the UK and he doesn't want to put his hand over his heart during the pledges to the U.S. and to Texas.  I was wondering if he would be fired for that, but he had a change of heart that may have had more to do with having a wife and kids to feed than a sudden surge of patriotism.

Quote:
Could that have something to do with your dissertation I'm expecting from you on how rights are granted?
It's all under the same umbrella, really.  To me the fact that Kaepernic has a right to be disrespectful and that the Team or the NFL has the right to fire him aren't even close calls as long as neither gave up those rights as part of a contract.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Statist Anthem Protest
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy