Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Poll
Poll Question: Are you a minimalist?
bars   pie

I'm a libertarian    
  3 (75.0%)
I'm a minimalist libertarian    
  0 (0.0%)
Not a libertarian    
  1 (25.0%)

Total votes: 4
« Created by: Land of Freedom on: Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:16pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian? (Read 468 times)
Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:04pm
Print Post  

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Are you a minimalist?

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Land of Freedom wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:04pm:
Just barely works for me.

They're  way better than even minimal maximalists.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Minimalist, as opposed to an activist?

I guess they wouldn't really be posting here as a libertarian if they were a minimalist. Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
Minimalist, as opposed to an activist?

What? What about activist minimalists? Are they opposed to themselves?

IP Logged

burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I'd say that as an absolute minimum, you would have to be more fiscally conservative than a conservative and/or more socially liberal than a liberal.

If you believe marijuana should be legal because it is fairly harmless and even has medical benefits, you are liberal.  If you believe that marijuana and other drugs should be legal regardless of benefit or harm then you are libertarian.

If you believe that government should change regulations to help business grow, you're a conservative.  If you believe that government should repeal regulations regardless of the effect on business, you are a libertarian.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:34am
Print Post  
To be a true libertarian, one must be a minimalist when it comes to Government and taxes, a the very least.  (IMO)

I especially like the mission statement of Canada's Libertarian Party:

"The mission of the Party is to reduce the responsibilities and expense of government."

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:08am:
I'd say that as an absolute minimum, you would have to be more fiscally conservative than a conservative and/or more socially liberal than a liberal.

If you believe marijuana should be legal because it is fairly harmless and even has medical benefits, you are liberal.  If you believe that marijuana and other drugs should be legal regardless of benefit or harm then you are libertarian.

If you believe that government should change regulations to help business grow, you're a conservative.  If you believe that government should repeal regulations regardless of the effect on business, you are a libertarian.

I find a lot to disagree with in those statements burnsred. It's just that I'm not sure if you have said them from a POV of being a libertarian yourself. Some of it seems to be condemnation of libertarians.

For example, I can imagine somebody creating a drug that gives people a narcotic high and government not haveing any authority to take it off the market.

IP Logged

burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I find a lot to disagree with in those statements burnsred. It's just that I'm not sure if you have said them from a POV of being a libertarian yourself. Some of it seems to be condemnation of libertarians.
Ok, but what for example?

Quote:
For example, I can imagine somebody creating a drug that gives people a narcotic high and government not haveing any authority to take it off the market.
Yes, that would be libertarianism.  But many people have already created many drugs that give narcotic highs.  They're called narcotics.  The government does have the authority to take them off the market.  Because the U.S. system is NOT libertarian.

Do you mean some drug that is not a narcotic but gives a high that simulates narcotics?  To me, alcohol is exactly that.  Our government claims for itself the authority to heavily regulate, de-regulate or take alcohol completely off the market.

I have to admit, Don.  Sometimes I fail to see the points  you make.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 6:41pm:
Ok, but what for example?

Yes, that would be libertarianism.  But many people have already created many drugs that give narcotic highs.  They're called narcotics.  The government does have the authority to take them off the market.  Because the U.S. system is NOT libertarian.

Do you mean some drug that is not a narcotic but gives a high that simulates narcotics?  To me, alcohol is exactly that.  Our government claims for itself the authority to heavily regulate, de-regulate or take alcohol completely off the market.

I have to admit, Don.  Sometimes I fail to see the points  you make.

I didn't think there was much undue regulation of alcohol in your country. There's a lot more in mine. I'm not really sure if your country could benefit with more or even less? I'm always socially aware of the ease of minors obtaining alcohol being something we have to monitor closely. Are you? Or are you for the wide open libertarian approach of letting minors have anything they want and in unlimited quantities?

As for drugs, your country advertized pharmas on the media but Canada doesn't allow it. While your country allows it, it's full of dire warnings on what the particular drug can do to you. Many including warning of death.

The difference to explore is this: Patients go their doctors in Canada and don't try to tell the doctors which med to prescribe. Many of those ads in the US are asking people to tell their doctors that they want 'x' drug.

On reason I like our system better is that it keeps prices down. Doctors know what works and shouldn't trying to sell the newest designer drugs to patients.

Oh, and our medical experience is better than yours. (insurance wise speaking on 'expeience'. And our life expectancy is higher.  and our child mortality rates are lower.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy