Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Poll
Poll Question: Are you a minimalist?
bars   pie

I'm a libertarian    
  3 (75.0%)
I'm a minimalist libertarian    
  0 (0.0%)
Not a libertarian    
  1 (25.0%)

Total votes: 4
« Created by: Land of Freedom on: Sep 26th, 2017 at 6:16pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian? (Read 709 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Reply #40 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
ahhell, you said: Quote:
Of note, there are 840k Canadians in the US vs about 660k Americans living in Canada.  It suggests that the US is a more attractive destination. 

Surely you jest Shirley. Wouldn't it be a little more accurate to say that our country is being flooded with Americans, in relation to our population? 30 million population has absorbed 660k Americans, while 300 million has only absorbed 840k Canadians?

actually I think both are meaningless but what isn't meaningless is that Americans are coming to Canada now because they can't tolerate Trump. There are lots of stories to google on that fact but I won't.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 29th, 2017 at 11:28am:
Bullshit. Show me in Canada's Bill of Rights where it talks about the right to keep and bear arms.  You CAN'T because it's not there.

Liar.

Reductio ad absurdum...

A last-ditch debate strategy when someone has completely exhausted all rational arguments.

I'm glad you used it.    Smiley 

SkyChief be still, the adults are talking now.

fwiw, Canadians keep and bear arms and we also have the right to arm bears.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Sometimes facts are stubborn things!

http://time.com/2888403/u-s-health-care-ranked-worst-in-the-developed-world/

Quote:
The U.S. health care system has been subject to heated debate over the past decade, but one thing that has remained consistent is the level of performance, which has been ranked as the worst among industrialized nations for the fifth time, according to the 2014 Commonwealth Fund survey 2014. The U.K. ranked best with Switzerland following a close second.

and

Quote:
Despite these shortcomings, positives noted include the breadth of reforms spearheaded by the Affordable Care Act, including new databases for transparent information and financial assistance for low-middle-income families in gaining coverage. “Those efforts will likely help clinicians deliver more effective and efficient care,” the report concludes.

Which means there is hope for the future!

(well, at least there was) Cry

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Its unsurprising that a nation more that 300 million ranks poorly in "equity of care" compared to countries with that are all no more than a quarter of the size nor anything near the diversity.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Sep 29th, 2017 at 2:11pm:
Its unsurprising that a nation more that 300 million ranks poorly in "equity of care" compared to countries with that are all no more than a quarter of the size nor anything near the diversity. 

I can't accept that statement without some kind of validation of the argument. I'm not putting it down completely. I would suggest that your country has the strength and resources to out perform all largely populated countries. And on that basis I would have to challenge it based on population density as it relates to say Germany or ??

Countries of the same population density?

IP Logged

stevea

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:44pm:
I find a lot to disagree with in those statements burnsred.

B/c you are an anti-libertarian troll.

Quote:
Some of it seems to be condemnation of libertarians. [

There were NO value judgement nor condemnation in it; he just set out his view of what some libt' positions are.  Your lack of critical reading skills is showing.

Quote:
For example, I can imagine somebody creating a drug that gives people a narcotic high and government not having any authority to take it off the market.

NATURE has already created such drugs - what RIGHT does government have to prohibit their use?
None!  You and the mob-of-51% don't get to tell others how to live or act.

I suggest you read Walter Block's "Defending the Undefendable"

http://austrian-library.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/books/Walter%20Block/...

then try again after you understand a few libertarian concepts.

Of course  we all KNOW you won't read it - you are all output and no input. You were born ignorant and are  determined to stay that way.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 29th, 2017 at 1:16pm:
Canadians keep and bear arms and we also have the right to arm bears.

But the right to keep and bear arms is not recognized or protected in Canada's Constitution or Bill of Rights.

It is in the US.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:24pm:
But the right to keep and bear arms is not recognized or protected in your Constitution or Bill of Rights.

It is in the US.

Our constitution recognizes our right to arm bears. But you're right that our constitution doesn't expressly state that we have the right to bear rocket launchers when we go to the neighbourhood bar to get a skin full. Nobody seems to care a hell of a lot. They would care if our government didn't allow them to take part in the peaceful and sensible use of their firearms, but it hasn't happened since our country was born and we think it's quite unlikely to happen tomorrow.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:33pm:
I didn't think there was much undue regulation of alcohol in your country. There's a lot more in mine. I'm not really sure if your country could benefit with more or even less? I'm always socially aware of the ease of minors obtaining alcohol being something we have to monitor closely. Are you? Or are you for the wide open libertarian approach of letting minors have anything they want and in unlimited quantities?

Like many things, it varies by state.  In some states, liquor can only be purchased in state run liquor stores, others it can only be purchased in specialty stores, others pretty much any market can sell liquor with the proper license.

My own state only allows specialty liquor stores to sell anything with more than 3.2% alcohol and limits the number and location of such outlets.  Some counties in the South do not allow alcohol sales at all, famously the county where jack daniels is distilled is a dry county.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:35pm:
Our constitution recognizes our right to arm bears.
Can you provide a citation?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How minimum does a minimalist have to be to be a libertarian?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy