Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Catalonian's Rights or a Country's Rights?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Catalonian's Rights or a Country's Rights? (Read 324 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Catalonian's Rights or a Country's Rights?
Oct 1st, 2017 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
https://www.rt.com/news/405262-assange-spain-eu-suspension/

A question for all libertarians to ponder. In my opinion it's not an easy straight forward question to answer.

Most people who aren't libertarians would answer according to their political preference in the particular situation. Be careful libertarians that you don't do just that!

I'm going to go with the country for a start but I could possibly be convinced to go the other way. No politics please, let's keep this pure.

IP Logged

Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Catalonian's Rights or a Country's Rights?
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Libertarians would have private land, even a private owned country; so the owners of the land should decide. But likely they would have a previous written agreement that would cover such decisions.

The owners of the land would vote their shares for leaders or any changes to the agreement/contract.

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Land of Freedom wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:17pm:
Libertarians would have private land, even a private owned country; so the owners of the land should decide. But likely they would have a previous written agreement that would cover such decisions.

The owners of the land would vote their shares for leaders or any changes to the agreement/contract.

I see. Well sort of anyway. If we can imagine that the Catalonians are landowners then I think you're saying that their rights supercede their country's claim to ownership of their land over and above the actual land owners.

I think that's a pretty good answer and it's left out the politics of the particular situation and remained pure to the libertarian's agenda. That is, if I've understood you right?

This sort of thing has been happening all over the world lately. I think that any country that completely subscribed to that policy would be leaving itself wide open to any small groups coming into their country and buying up a large chunk of land. Say for instance Chinese people coming to the US and buying up half a small state for example.

Can you imagine measures being taken to eliminate that eventuality?

Am I on to the reasoning that you have suggested or did I misunderstand you?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I strongly support Catalonia's referendum for independence. The voters were denied their right to cast ballots for the referendum by police and Spanish Civil Guard officers who used State-sanctioned violence and force to muzzle the Catalonian voters. 

In the video, the officers were kicking defenseless women voters who were seated on the floor.

Outrageous! 

Article 7, clause #3:

Where a determination under paragraph 2 has been made, the Council, acting by a qualified majority, may decide to suspend certain of the rights deriving from the application of the Treaties to the Member State in question, including the voting rights of the representative of the government of that Member State in the Council. In doing so, the Council shall take into account the possible consequences of such a suspension on the rights and obligations of natural and legal persons.

When the State suspends the rights of "natural and legal" persons, it is a huge red flag. Disenfranchised Catalonian voters should be outraged.

edit: I added the bold

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 4:39pm:
I strongly support Catalonia's referendum for independence. The voters were denied their right to cast ballots for the referendum by police and Spanish Civil Guard officers who used State-sanctioned violence and force to muzzle the Catalonian voters. 

In the video, the officers were kicking defenseless women voters who were seated on the floor.

Outrageous! 

Article 7, clause #3:

Where a determination under paragraph 2 has been made, the Council, acting by a qualified majority, may decide to suspend certain of the rights deriving from the application of the Treaties to the Member State in question, including the voting rights of the representative of the government of that Member State in the Council. In doing so, the Council shall take into account the possible consequences of such a suspension on the rights and obligations of natural and legal persons.

When the State suspends the rights of "natural and legal" persons, it is a huge red flag. Disenfranchised Catalonian voters should be outraged.

edit: I added the bold

Chief please! Lan of Freedom set the tone for the conversation by doing what I asked by done. Leave the bloody partisan politics out of it. And you don't have the basic intelligence to just do that. It was meant to get answers from libertarians on the overall principle that is being put to the test.

Land of Freedom understood that and commented appropriately. I didn't put down his answer and in fact I commended him on it. Then I went on to ask questions around his response.

But you can't understand that and so you go off on a wild goose chase after boogeymen who may spoil your simplistic daydream.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Naturally, you would take the Statist position on the referendum. No surprises there. You really painted yourself into a corner this time, Don_G.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 6:45pm:
Naturally, you would take the Statist position on the referendum. No surprises there. You really painted yourself into a corner this time, Don_G.

I would ask you about what your position would be if a group of Chinese people came from China and bought up half of one of your states, and then decided to install it's own government, if I thought you would be able to understand the question.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 11:33pm:
I would ask you about what your position would be if a group of Chinese people came from China and bought up half of one of your states, and then decided to install it's own government, if I thought you would be able to understand the question.

We have protocols for that. It's called secession.  Congress has to vote on it.  There are petitions for a ballot measure for secession in California. Its called Calexit. They need 585,000 signatures.  I refused to sign it because the US would collapse if California were to seceed from the Union.  70% of the nation's food comes from California - the country would starve.  Cry

How's that for socially responsible capitalism? 

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 6:49am
Print Post  
An individualist position is that smaller and smaller political units are always better until finally absolute individual liberty (individual sovereignty) is attained.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 1:56pm:
https://www.rt.com/news/405262-assange-spain-eu-suspension/

A question for all libertarians to ponder. In my opinion it's not an easy straight forward question to answer.

Most people who aren't libertarians would answer according to their political preference in the particular situation. Be careful libertarians that you don't do just that!

I'm going to go with the country for a start but I could possibly be convinced to go the other way. No politics please, let's keep this pure.

Where/how would a "country" acquire rights?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Catalonian's Rights or a Country's Rights?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy