Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Take on the Catalonia Vote?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian Take on the Catalonia Vote? (Read 391 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Take on the Catalonia Vote?
Reply #20 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 5th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
History says you can sometimes kill enough of them to force them back into your empire.

Other times, you get things like the U.S. Constitution...

The highest accomplishment of classic liberalism.

(To which libertarians are the intellectual heirs).

KrapPit SmcK all you barbarians. Kiss

Edit: Hah! See how easily I evaded censorship!

None of you pseudo-libertarians can answer the question if it concerns your own country. Especially not you Jeff because you don't even have to try. You're not claiming to be a libertarian. But it must be something that sticks in the Chief's craw a bit.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 5th, 2017 at 7:27pm:
None of you pseudo-libertarians can answer the question if it concerns your own country...But it must be something that sticks in the Chief's craw a bit.

Nah - nothing sticking in my craw.  If it were the US, I would say the same thing.  Let them secede.   I've been pushing for California's secession for years now. Congress will never allow it because California is the 6th largest economy in the world... When we prevail, other productive states will follow.  The Union will collapse upon itself. The oligarchy/Deep State hates the secessionist.   Smaller/limited government is their biggest nightmare.

As is yours.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 7:46am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 1:41am:
I've been pushing for California's secession for years now. Congress will never allow it because California is the 6th largest economy in the world... When we prevail, other productive states will follow.

California's state government is in real trouble. Their government is neither small nor limited.

https://www.cato.org/publications/white-paper/fiscal-policy-report-card-americas...

I can't see how becoming independent would help...

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Nah - nothing sticking in my craw.  If it were the US, I would say the same thing.  Let them secede.   I've been pushing for California's secession for years now. Congress will never allow it because California is the 6th largest economy in the world... When we prevail, other productive states will follow.  The Union will collapse upon itself. The oligarchy/Deep State hates the secessionist.   Smaller/limited government is their biggest nightmare.

As is yours.

Yeah but you're just a pseudo-libertarian with a voice that will always be ignored. Your country wouldn't allow it even if enough Californians wanted it. Don't kid yourself.

Few countries would allow a part of their country to secede, unless if was under US force to do so. Kosovo comes to mind.

Maybe some real libertarian will speak up?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 5th, 2017 at 7:27pm:
None of you pseudo-libertarians can answer the question if it concerns your own country. Especially not you Jeff because you don't even have to try. You're not claiming to be a libertarian. But it must be something that sticks in the Chief's craw a bit.
In the US, I support a states right to secede depending on the circumstances and nature of the secession movement. 

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
In the US, I support a states right to secede depending on the circumstances and nature of the secession movement. 

I doubt it. But on second glance, it's all in the depends isn't it.

Pursue the question further if you think there's something in it? I think it's just a non-starter and so I have to sympathize with Spain.

As to Spain's methods of crowd control, I don't know enough about it to comment further. My first impression is that the police did what was necessary. You?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 11:35am:
Your country wouldn't allow [secession] even if enough Californians wanted it. Don't kid yourself.

That's what I said in my post! 

I've been pushing for California's secession for years now. Congress will never allow it because California is the 6th largest economy in the world...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
If it's dependent on someone judging the "nature and circumstances", what you are talking about is permission.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I've been pushing for California's secession for years now.
And I've been wanting to get rid of them for years. Let them deal with the mess they've made without picking my pocket.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
And I've been wanting to get rid of them for years. Let them deal with the mess they've made without picking my pocket.

Congress will never allow that. Everyone knows it.  I think Catalonia has a similar situation.  Spain has a legislative body (similar to Congress) that has the final say about secession for Catalonia.

Afaik, the most recent sucessful secession of a country was when Austria seceded from Nazi Germany in April 1945.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Take on the Catalonia Vote?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy