Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence (Read 187 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Oct 2nd, 2017 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Noted evolutionary biologist and atheist Richard Dawkins greeted the news of the mass shooting in Las Vegas by tweeting his contempt for Americans and the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

“Durn tootin’, great shootin’. Cool dude sertin’ he’s 2nd Mendment rahts. Hell yeah!” Dawkins tweeted, apparently attempting to mock a southern accent — perhaps in a reference to the country music festival at which the shooting took place.

He added: “Every country has its psychopaths. In US they have guns”.
ISIS has claimed responsibility.  The attack targeted a venue filled with patriotic country music lovers.  But, somehow it's the fault of the U.S.

What a racist jerk!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Someone on this forum was citing this Dawkins character as an authority on some subject or other. 

I can't remember which poster that was, but hopefully he or she will select another hero next time.

IP Logged

thermf5
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 11:14pm
Print Post  

i am for science i am self defense i am for guns i am from nyc where criminals still get guns even harsh penalties the eu on the con-ta-net has an huge ililgle gun tread banning guns is the wrong play 

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:27am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 2nd, 2017 at 9:35pm:
Someone on this forum was citing this Dawkins character as an authority on some subject or other. 

I can't remember which poster that was, but hopefully he or she will select another hero next time.
Dawkins has been a hero of tribal minded collectivists for decades at least. He's one of those who creates "science" to match the Party Line.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/richard-dawkins-defend...

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:27am:
Dawkins has been a hero of tribal minded collectivists for decades at least. He's one of those who creates "science" to match the Party Line.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/richard-dawkins-defend...

He's been instrumental in opposing religious superstitious beliefs because he's convinced it does so much harm to a society. I don't think he creates science but I can understand why you do.

You aren't capable of understanding the conversation on Lamarckism we had and so you might be thinking it's bad science. Is there any other reason considering that you've now rejected the god and religion?

If you're no ready to backslide then you're going to have to accept the chance that you're going to burn for eternity. Are you ready to take the chance?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Anyone read his book "The Selfish Gene?"

I'm assuming from the title that the thesis is that evolution is driven by genes "wanting" to reproduce themselves.  But they don't really "want" anything, that's just a handy way to explain it.

If that's what the book is about, why would anyone need to read it unless they slept through high school science?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:39pm:
Anyone read his book "The Selfish Gene?"

I'm assuming from the title that the thesis is that evolution is driven by genes "wanting" to reproduce themselves.  But they don't really "want" anything, that's just a handy way to explain it.

If that's what the book is about, why would anyone need to read it unless they slept through high school science?

It's much more involved than high school science that's been abridged to fit high school students. And in actual fact, he led the field in science with that book so high school science would turn to that book as a reference. Although probably not until the 12th. grade when they could understand it. And in America it may just be taboo anyway?

It's only his first and most important book. There are several others that are less involved and easier to read.

I would recommend, 'Climbing Mt. Improbable' or 'The Ancestors Tale' or 'The Blind Watchmaker'.

I don't think anybody else has wrote so well on the particular science.

Surely Shirley, you're not turning against science due to a little anger at my opinions?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Dawkins has also become a bit of a crank of late, lots of inflammatory twitter comments to piss off the likes of Don.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/15-of-richard-dawkins-most-controversial-twe...

Quote:
Lost an argument? Don't worry, just accuse your opponent of being old, white and privileged. That's the ticket.

Quote:
Of course you can have an opinion about Islam without having read Qur'an. You don't have to read Mein Kampf to have an opinion about nazism.

Lots of scientists become cranks in their dotage though.  Linus Pauling and his Vitamin C comes to mind.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:19pm:
Dawkins has also become a bit of a crank of late, lots of inflammatory twitter comments to piss off the likes of Don.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/15-of-richard-dawkins-most-controversial-twe...

Lots of scientists become cranks in their dotage though.  Linus Pauling and his Vitamin C comes to mind.

There's likely some truth in what you say but I think the more important issue to you and people who write opposing Dawkins are mostly concerned with his anti-americanism. He hasn't liked Americans for years for some reasons.

I think the first reason would be because Americans are the most religious of the modern developed countries and he sees that as harmful to society X10!

Second, on this incident he's completley appalled at the gun violence in the US because he's an humanitarian with credentials. You should visit his site to learn more about him.

He also has some pretty impressive credential in his field of science. His 'Selfish Gene' was a work of brilliance at the time.

Personally, I understand his feelings and feel much the same way. I'm just not going to lose any sleep over it because I know the problem needs to be fixed by Americans. If indeed they even regard it as a problem?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:28pm:
He's been instrumental in opposing religious superstitious beliefs because he's convinced it does so much harm to a society.
Right. Just another of the reasons I think he's an evil fool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy