Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence (Read 282 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:39pm:
Anyone read his book "The Selfish Gene?"

I'm assuming from the title that the thesis is that evolution is driven by genes "wanting" to reproduce themselves.  But they don't really "want" anything, that's just a handy way to explain it.

If that's what the book is about, why would anyone need to read it unless they slept through high school science?

I'll guess and say that Dawkins believes (his Faith) that a genetic "tendency" toward "selfishness" is a defect, and since we have "too many" people on earth, well, killing "defectives" makes sense... To him.

That is the sense I have of where Dawkins mind lives, along with his tyrannical tribal impulses and his bent toward sex with children.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 4:18pm:
I'll guess and say that Dawkins believes (his Faith) that a genetic "tendency" toward "selfishness" is a defect, and since we have "too many" people on earth, well, killing "defectives" makes sense... To him.

You're perfect Jeff! You've got it about as wrong as it can get. And I feel no obligation to explain it further for you.

And I thought that you could understand Lamarckism???

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
He also has some pretty impressive credential in his field of science. His 'Selfish Gene' was a work of brilliance at the time.
But then you also think that this:

“Durn tootin’, great shootin’. Cool dude sertin’ he’s 2nd Mendment rahts. Hell yeah!” Dawkins tweeted,

Is a work of brilliance, also.

Just a quick question, nothing to get in a strain over:

In "The Selfish Gene" Dawkins depicts evolution as a process by which genes seek to replicate themselves by improving the survival and reproduction rates of the organisms that carry them. 

In "Climbing Mount Improbable" he explains how evolution strives against what appears to be long odds to create more and more complex organisms.  He speaks of an "evolutionarily stable strategy."

In "The Blind Watchmaker" he expands on an analogy of a creator of life by explaining how complexity can develop without a vision for what it will become.

He's so adamantly opposed to the idea of an intelligent designer and yet over and over again, he uses language that suggests conscious choices being made in the process of evolution.  Yes, they are analogies and metaphors, but why use them if  your purpose is to discredit the idea of a designer.  Why don't you just begin each statement with "So then, accidentally . . . "  Is he afraid it will start to all sound a little silly?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:45pm:
And I thought that you could understand Lamarckism???

How would I know? What is it?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:08pm:
In "The Selfish Gene" Dawkins depicts evolution as a process by which genes seek to replicate themselves by improving the survival and reproduction rates of the organisms that carry them. 
That's part of the "genes are smart, people are just stupid vessels" theory isn't it?
Didn't Lysenko first postulate that in modern times?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's part of the "genes are smart, people are just stupid vessels" theory isn't it?
Didn't Lysenko first postulate that in modern times?
Indeed he did.  Dawkins is a pop science  writer.  He appeals mainly to people who never cared about science until someone put a political spin on it.  Many creationists and intelligent designers are the same way, don't get me wrong.

Important thing is that to a libertarian or anyone claiming to be a libertarian, it doesn't matter because everyone is free to support whatever theory he or she chooses.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:22pm:
Important thing is that to a libertarian or anyone claiming to be a libertarian, it doesn't matter because everyone is free to support whatever theory he or she chooses.
Indeed. They can even call it "science" or "The Truth"....  Which doesn't make it so and certainty isn't a basis for government action to exterminate "defectives" or even make them into serfs.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:22pm:
Indeed he did.  Dawkins is a pop science  writer.  He appeals mainly to people who never cared about science until someone put a political spin on it.  Many creationists and intelligent designers are the same way, don't get me wrong.
People didn't believe religious Creation stories until they were politicized? I must be misunderstanding what you mean to say.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
People didn't believe religious Creation stories until they were politicized? I must be misunderstanding what you mean to say.
I guess it would be more accurate to say that people saw no need to back their religious beliefs about creation with purported science until the question of religious beliefs about creation became politicized.  Which was inevitable when we decided that government should be the arbiter or what is taught in schools. 

Once government decided to ban public schools from teaching anything but the Darwin Dogma, people who had not been science buffs suddenly started reading about creation science.  They would have been better off learning about libertarianism, a system which would allow them to educate their children whichever way they see fit.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:52pm:
I guess it would be more accurate to say that people saw no need to back their religious beliefs about creation with purported science until the question of religious beliefs about creation became politicized.  Which was inevitable when we decided that government should be the arbiter or what is taught in schools. 

You're talking about ID'ers?

Quote:
Once government decided to ban public schools from teaching anything but the Darwin Dogma, people who had not been science buffs suddenly started reading about creation science.  They would have been better off learning about libertarianism, a system which would allow them to educate their children whichever way they see fit.

Darwin dogma? You are a christian believer?

Parents must be prohibited by law from teaching their children the lies of the churches until the children are old enough to form their own opinions. I have to draw the line on that, even though I think it's nearly as unlikely to be passed as law as libertarianism ever becoming a reality for a country.

I'm sorry but that's where my libertarian purity ends! Darwinism is the only real truth and that has to be learned by half of Americans.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy