Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence (Read 186 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Reply #20 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I guess it would be more accurate to say that people saw no need to back their religious beliefs about creation with purported science until the question of religious beliefs about creation became politicized.  Which was inevitable when we decided that government should be the arbiter or what is taught in schools.

You're talking about ID'ers?
Yes, and also creation scientists.  Or maybe more correctly, "Creation Sciencers."

Quote:
Quote:
Once government decided to ban public schools from teaching anything but the Darwin Dogma, people who had not been science buffs suddenly started reading about creation science.  They would have been better off learning about libertarianism, a system which would allow them to educate their children whichever way they see fit.

Darwin dogma? You are a christian believer?
I oppose all dogmatic thinking.  Or more correctly, I disagree with all dogmatic thinking as I would never oppose anyone's right to think dogmatically.

Quote:
Parents must be prohibited by law from teaching their children the lies of the churches until the children are old enough to form their own opinions. I have to draw the line on that, even though I think it's nearly as unlikely to be passed as law as libertarianism ever becoming a reality for a country.

Darwinism is the only real truth and that has to be learned by half of Americans.
A perfect example of why I disagree with dogmatic thinking.

Just a quick question, nothing to get in a strain over:

In "The Selfish Gene" Dawkins depicts evolution as a process by which genes seek to replicate themselves by improving the survival and reproduction rates of the organisms that carry them.

In "Climbing Mount Improbable" he explains how evolution strives against what appears to be long odds to create more and more complex organisms.  He speaks of an "evolutionarily stable strategy."

In "The Blind Watchmaker" he expands on an analogy of a creator of life by explaining how complexity can develop without a vision for what it will become.

He's so adamantly opposed to the idea of an intelligent designer and yet over and over again, he uses language that suggests conscious choices being made in the process of evolution.  Yes, they are analogies and metaphors, but why use them if  your purpose is to discredit the idea of a designer.  Why don't you just begin each statement with "So then, accidentally . . . "  Is he afraid it will start to all sound a little silly?

IP Logged

Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:08pm:
Yes, and also creation scientists.  Or maybe more correctly, "Creation Sciencers."

I oppose all dogmatic thinking.  Or more correctly, I disagree with all dogmatic thinking as I would never oppose anyone's right to think dogmatically.

A perfect example of why I disagree with dogmatic thinking.

Just a quick question, nothing to get in a strain over:

In "The Selfish Gene" Dawkins depicts evolution as a process by which genes seek to replicate themselves by improving the survival and reproduction rates of the organisms that carry them.

In "Climbing Mount Improbable" he explains how evolution strives against what appears to be long odds to create more and more complex organisms.  He speaks of an "evolutionarily stable strategy."

In "The Blind Watchmaker" he expands on an analogy of a creator of life by explaining how complexity can develop without a vision for what it will become.

He's so adamantly opposed to the idea of an intelligent designer and yet over and over again, he uses language that suggests conscious choices being made in the process of evolution.  Yes, they are analogies and metaphors, but why use them if  your purpose is to discredit the idea of a designer.  Why don't you just begin each statement with "So then, accidentally . . . "  Is he afraid it will start to all sound a little silly?

I guess it's not his style. And depending on what you're referring to, saying something was accidental wouldn't be correct.

He's a very respected evolutionist an is sometimes known as Darwin's pitbull.

I thought for a moment you had read those books when you quoted their main topics. Then I realized that you just got a book review on each. You really should read one of them at least.

If you're a creationist then just say so. You don't have to be ashamed of being one you know.  When you say things like Darwin's dogma, you have to be one, or there's something else wrong with you?

Either way burnsred, if you're a creationist then there's something wrong with your upbringing because of an indoctrination into xtian beliefs in childhood. And the horrible thing about it is, most adults never escape from it!

It's as sold as a duckling's imprinting on the first moving thing being it's mother!

You can try and here is a good place to do that, but you're going to have to be very strong.

You can begin by understanding that it's not your fault. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I guess it's not his style. And depending on what you're referring to, saying something was accidental wouldn't be correct.
Oh, so it was on purpose?

Quote:
He's a very respected evolutionist an is sometimes known as Darwin's pitbull.
Sounds disrespectful, making him less than human.  I prefer Darwin's Dogmatist.

Quote:
I thought for a moment you had read those books when you quoted their main topics. Then I realized that you just got a book review on each. You really should read one of them at least.
I read The Blindwatchmaker many years ago. Not very impressive as science.  I can see its value as political persuasion, though.

Quote:
If you're a creationist then just say so. You don't have to be ashamed of being one you know.  When you say things like Darwin's dogma, you have to be one, or there's something else wrong with you?
So, it's either Darwin or Creationism?  What happened to ID?
Quote:
Either way burnsred, if you're a creationist then there's something wrong with your upbringing because of an indoctrination into xtian beliefs in childhood. And the horrible thing about it is, most adults never escape from it!
Are Christians as bad as Jews, Mein Fuhrer . . . er, I mean Don?

Do you also think that there is something wrong with a Muslim's upbringing?
Just yes or no, then explain all you like . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Yes.

Quote:
I read The Blindwatchmaker many years ago. Not very impressive as science.  I can see its value as political persuasion, though.

Then you're a creationist for sure. Why didn't you just say so and I wouldn't have wasted so much time talking reality with you.

O.k., now we've cleared that hurdle! How far out are you into creation?

humans riding on dinosaur's backs?
adam and eve?
The rib bone shit?
Fossils a few thousand years old?

I just want to get to the parameters of the discussion first.

Me, I'm solid 100% Darwin. No supernatural shit, no witches, no seances, not horoscopes, none of that shit!

And that's not meant to insult you, just to find how far over to that side you've gone?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
The law of averages told me something was smelling pretty fishy around this place. Bout 50% of americans are creationists and there had to be one hiding in our libertarian woodpile at least! And Jeff says it's not him.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Me, I'm solid 100% Darwin.
But you say Darwinism happened on purpose?  How does that work?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:43pm:
But you say Darwinism happened on purpose?  How does that work?

Darwin had a purpose and it resulted in Darwinism. Don't you subscribe to it? If not then it's alright to say so. You don't have to be ashamed of your faith. If you are a creationist then the god will not be please with any backsliding for the sake of your vanity. Some very intelligent people are creationists.

Even some nuclear physicists are creationists. They have to be and I've explained why, so it's nothing to feel ashamed about.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
2000 Darwin Award Winner
Confirmed True by Darwin

(27 October 2000, Illinois) A splinter group of Jehovah's Witnesses that tests their faith by standing in traffic, lost one of their members when she was struck by a vehicle on Interstate 55 while professing her beliefs to the passing motorists. It was not her first attempt to win converts in the middle of the busy freeway, but it was certainly her last.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
Darwin had a purpose and it resulted in Darwinism.
Of course, because Darwin was intelligent and so was the design of his theory of speciation via natural selection.

But you said the process of evolution isn't accidental.  Tell me more about that.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:52pm:
I guess it would be more accurate to say that people saw no need to back their religious beliefs about creation with purported science until the question of religious beliefs about creation became politicized.  Which was inevitable when we decided that government should be the arbiter or what is taught in schools. 

Once government decided to ban public schools from teaching anything but the Darwin Dogma, people who had not been science buffs suddenly started reading about creation science.  They would have been better off learning about libertarianism, a system which would allow them to educate their children whichever way they see fit.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, and I agree people have a right to educate their children as they see fit. That ensures that there will be diversity of opinions in each generation, and that when children grow up, they can make their own decisions based on more than one viewpoint.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Richard Dawkins Shows His Intellence
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy