Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Shooter Fired From one Gun-Free Zone into Another
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Shooter Fired From one Gun-Free Zone into Another (Read 356 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Shooter Fired From one Gun-Free Zone into Another
Oct 3rd, 2017 at 9:54am
Print Post  
His weapons were clearly automatic, which is already illegal.  No law works unless its enforced, whether it's immigration laws, drug laws or gun laws.  So why do the statists now want even more gun laws when they haven't bothered to enforce the existing laws?

Not a rhetorical question.  I think I know the answer, but I want your input.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Shooter Fired From one Gun-Free Zone into Another
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Gun free zones are an invitation to mass murder.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Gun Free Zones + Dense group of Soft Targets = A Terrorist's playground.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 9:54am:
His weapons were clearly automatic, which is already illegal.  No law works unless its enforced, whether it's immigration laws, drug laws or gun laws.  So why do the statists now want even more gun laws when they haven't bothered to enforce the existing laws?

Not a rhetorical question.  I think I know the answer, but I want your input.

I think they're desperately looking for something to stop the slaughter of Americans by guns. Whether or not their suggested measures would work or not probably doesn't matter. It's a lost cause and even a gun massacre on this scale isn't going to make a difference most likely.

I asked the question yesterday, do you think this record will hold for a few years or will it be shattered within Trump's term?

I don't know what the difference could be between Canada and the US but there seems to be something. I think our rate of slaughter by guns is about a 1/10 per capita? Maybe we don't have as many statists? That would do it!

--------------------------------------
on a different topic:

Huffpost had an article on this morning showing the faces of some of the dead. It may be satisfying to have a look at them. I found it rather sad and frightening at the same time.

warning: Some appear to be a little off-white
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/las-vegas-route-91-shooting-victims_us_59d23...

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think they're desperately looking for something to stop the slaughter of Americans by guns. Whether or not their suggested measures would work or not probably doesn't matter.
I appreciate your saying that, because I know you view it as kind of an admission by the liberal side.  Since you tried to be honest, I'll tell you the answer to why the left wants to pass more gun laws even though they don't bother to enforce existing ones.

Contrary to your attempted confession, those laws work exactly as intended.  Laws regulating the functioning, capacities, and especially the appearances of guns are aimed (no pun intended) at the law-abiding, not at law breakers. 

For example, if they pass a law saying rifle magazines can hold only nine rounds or pistol magazines can hold only seven, law-abiding gun owners will be forced to spend money and time replacing their standard sized magazines.  Criminals only laugh because they believe laws don't apply to them.

Liberal lawmakers are fully aware of that.  They pass laws against law-abiding gun-owners because they figure those folks vote Republican anyway.  Same stereotype the shooter applied to country music fans.

Quote:
It's a lost cause and even a gun massacre on this scale isn't going to make a difference most likely.
A large gun massacre will not convince law-abiding people that they have no need for self-defense, that is a true statement.

Quote:
I asked the question yesterday, do you think this record will hold for a few years or will it be shattered within Trump's term?
It depends on whether our media continues it's hysterical hate-filled anti-Trump rhetoric.

Quote:
I don't know what the difference could be between Canada and the US but there seems to be something. I think our rate of slaughter by guns is about a 1/10 per capita? Maybe we don't have as many statists? That would do it!
I'm guessing that any potential mass shooter would realize that killing Canadians would either put them out of their misery or be redundant since they are dead inside anyway.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Statists Should simply repeal the Second Amendment.  Then Dianne Feinstein could have her gun confiscation she been clamoring for all these years.

They dont even need to repeal it - just reword it - omit those four pesky words "shall not be infringed". If these words were removed, they could pass any gun-control measue they wanted.

Smiley

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:53pm:
I appreciate your saying that, because I know you view it as kind of an admission by the liberal side.  Since you tried to be honest, I'll tell you the answer to why the left wants to pass more gun laws even though they don't bother to enforce existing ones.

No, stop right there! I have no side, I'm not an American. My side is Canadian and it fits neither the left or the right in your country. And fwiw, I think that the leftists are just as commited to their guns and their 2A rights as anyone.

Quote:
Contrary to your attempted confession, those laws work exactly as intended.  Laws regulating the functioning, capacities, and especially the appearances of guns are aimed (no pun intended) at the law-abiding, not at law breakers. 

If the slaughter isn't an issue to you then don't deal with it.

Quote:
For example, if they pass a law saying rifle magazines can hold only nine rounds or pistol magazines can hold only seven, law-abiding gun owners will be forced to spend money and time replacing their standard sized magazines.  Criminals only laugh because they believe laws don't apply to them.

It's likely they're not criminals to any degree that is relevant to their shooting spree. This one wasn't in any way that mattered. He could have been the president of his local NRA gang for all we know?

Quote:
Liberal lawmakers are fully aware of that.  They pass laws against law-abiding gun-owners because they figure those folks vote Republican anyway.  Same stereotype the shooter applied to country music fans.

You have a point on country music fans!  Roll Eyes
No, just kiddin, and not appropriate here. Otherwise, you get the joke!

Quote:
A large gun massacre will not convince law-abiding people that they have no need for self-defense, that is a true statement.

How about several gun massacres equal or bigger than that one, on consequtive days, including some where little children are the victims? My opinion is that it wouldn't for most Americans but I could be wrong? I only mention it because it's quite possible now.

Quote:
I'm guessing that any potential mass shooter would realize that killing Canadians would either put them out of their misery or be redundant since they are dead inside anyway.

Well, you've dropped the pretense completely now at least. Have words defeated you? Do you have cuts and bruises? I revel in your frustration and misery because I know I have done no harm other than debating with you.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 1:05pm:
Statists Should simply repeal the Second Amendment.  Then Dianne Feinstein could have her gun confiscation she been clamoring for all these years.

They dont even need to repeal it - just reword it - omit those four pesky words "shall not be infringed". If these words were removed, they could pass any gun-control measue they wanted.

Smiley

Personally, I hope they don't succeed. I've become somewhat of the same attitude as Richard Dawkins now and it's because of the callousness of Americans who don't let this incident even fizz on them.

That is, I show disgust in much the same way Dawkins portrayed his feelings.

So you could say that I'm on your side and the side of your guns now, just for a little different reason.

Where will the next celebration of your 2A be? Las Vegas again? Too soon for Sandy Hook?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:53pm:

It depends on whether our media continues it's hysterical hate-filled anti-Trump rhetoric.

Well thought out and well said, thanks.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
How about several gun massacres equal or bigger than that one, on consequtive days, including some where little children are the victims? My opinion is that it wouldn't for most Americans but I could be wrong? I only mention it because it's quite possible now.
All the more reason that the law-abiding should be better armed, not disarmed.
[b][i]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Shooter Fired From one Gun-Free Zone into Another
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy