Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › We Often Overdo Making Heroes of Armed Government Employees
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) We Often Overdo Making Heroes of Armed Government Employees (Read 243 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: We Often Overdo Making Heroes of Armed Government Employees
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
A clue for libertarians to zero in on! All you have to do is find a real one who is bright!
I'm narrowing down the field. You and Dawkins are eliminated.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 10:03am:
Now my college-aged daughter is suddenly contemplating being a reservist after having expressed complete disinterest in the military. 

We need to talk about this more. I think it might have been the purpose of that whole post.

What has happened to change the daughter's mind? Are you feeling that your influence has played a part and then if so, do fear you will be responsible for her military experience?

Is you daughter a lesbian? Is she joining the military for the female companionship? Could it be something to do with the authority figure image you've passed on to your children? Is her mother just a background figure that played little part in the daughter's childhood upbringing? Are the children revolting against any of the far out ideas you're passed on to this forum? Religion?

If any of these possibilities ring a bell then we need to discuss it further.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
Now my college-aged daughter is suddenly contemplating being a reservist after having expressed complete disinterest in the military.

We need to talk about this more. I think it might have been the purpose of that whole post.

What has happened to change the daughter's mind? Are you feeling that your influence has played a part and then if so, do fear you will be responsible for her military experience?

Is you daughter a lesbian? Is she joining the military for the female companionship? Could it be something to do with the authority figure image you've passed on to your children? Is her mother just a background figure that played little part in the daughter's childhood upbringing? Are the children revolting against any of the far out ideas you're passed on to this forum? Religion?

If any of these possibilities ring a bell then we need to discuss it further.
You've certainly taken a strong interest in someone based entirely on the words "my daughter."  I take it age, looks, personality, character, and all the other factors upon which we typically judge people don't matter as long as the person you are keen on is female?

I agree that you may need to talk through that stuff, but I'm an educator, not a mental health professional so you'll have to look elsewhere.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:40pm:
Taylor. White Murderer Harrison.
Pierce, Andrew Johnson, Hayes...

Kennedy didn't get elected because he was a military hero. Nor did Bush or Jimmy Carter... What are you thinking?
I didn't mean to imply they did.  After partially answering the question about generals(thanks for adding a few) I just noted that many of the late 20th century presidents had some military experience as well.  Mostly officers.  This is partly because almost every male in the US was involved in WWII and partly because for a while it was seen as a near pre-requisite for elected office.   

Kennedy wasn't elected because he was a hero but is father pushed his boys to join the military in order to aid the future political careers he had planned for them.
burnsred wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 10:03am:
Let me say that I and all four of my sons served in the military as a way to pay for college, to see the world and to take a break from the books to increase their maturity.  Now my college-aged daughter is suddenly contemplating being a reservist after having expressed complete disinterest in the military. 
I agree with your concerns regarding excess hero worship of those in the military and police but I highly recommend that kids do joint the military out of high school for the reasons you stated and because its the only place where people are actually exposed to other Americans from a real diversity of backgrounds.  I learned a lot more about people generally in the Navy than anywhere else.

Don_G wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:57pm:
What the hell kind of weird stereotyping is that?  A women consider's the military so she's a lesbian?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
I agree with your concerns regarding excess hero worship of those in the military and police but I highly recommend that kids do joint the military out of high school for the reasons you stated and because its the only place where people are actually exposed to other Americans from a real diversity of backgrounds.  I learned a lot more about people generally in the Navy than anywhere else.
Yes, it is a great learning and maturing experience.  I think some of the less mature people on this forum might benefit from military service when they get old enough, even in the limited Canadian military.  As a child, I grew up in the most diverse city in the world, racially, which is all some people want to talk about.  But it was an eye opener living among people from geographically diverse parts of the U.S.

But . . . it's yet another benefit of big government that we libertarians will have to do without when the great day comes that we have a libertarian system.  Young folks will have to find other ways to see the world and grow up since our military won't be intervening in foreign rivalries anymore.

But since the government won't be taking half our paychecks anymore, we'll have plenty of money for private organizations to send young people overseas and to our third-world neighbors on our own continent to teach them the benefits of self-reliance.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:25am:
You've certainly taken a strong interest in someone based entirely on the words "my daughter."  I take it age, looks, personality, character, and all the other factors upon which we typically judge people don't matter as long as the person you are keen on is female?

I agree that you may need to talk through that stuff, but I'm an educator, not a mental health professional so you'll have to look elsewhere.

Perfectly fine with me burnsred. You brought up your daughter and so we thought you wanted to talk about the problem. If not then I'll leave it for sure.

You suggested that you were a mental health professional didn't you? Are you sure you're an educator now?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:35am:
What the hell kind of weird stereotyping is that?  A women consider's the military so she's a lesbian?

No, not necessarily but it probably runs around 50% and besides, burnsred brought his daughter into the conversation so I thought he wanted to talk about her. I also suggested that she would be in close contact with a lot of gay women.

LetS not talk about the daughter anymore. I would however, like to continue to delve into burnsred's strict authoritarian twist he revealed early on when he joined the forum. But again, if he chooses not to then we won't.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You suggested that you were a mental health professional didn't you?
No, that's your reading comprehension issue again, unfortunately.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:07pm:

Your anger and resentment of valid criticism has turned you into a lost cause. I should have kept in mind the extremist positions you took when you first came to this forum but unfortunately you did a good job of hiding that for a while.

The pseudo-libertarian mindset is indicative of flawed personalities to begin with and you're no exception.

Maybe some of the others are beginning to hear the clock ticking down to your next election.

And the libertarian party isn't even starting to make a showing that could attract the millions of supporters they need.

I'll keep an eye on what's happening outside of this forum and bring it to your attention if it shows any hope at all.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:07pm:

Don's somewhat of a celebrity.  Have you seen his video?

Anyway, I'm off.  Trolls are part of the internet, but they don't usually get to run websites like Don runs this one

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › We Often Overdo Making Heroes of Armed Government Employees
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy