Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Proof Positive the Right to Free Speech is "Endowed by Our Creator"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Proof Positive the Right to Free Speech is "Endowed by Our Creator" (Read 1978 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Proof Positive the Right to Free Speech is "Endowed by Our Creator"
Reply #40 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 7:14pm:
OK. Does that always hold true that two lies mashed together=sarcasm?

The answer to your literal question is no.  Leftists string lies together constantly and they actually mean it.

Now what?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 8:16am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 8:34pm:
The answer to your literal question is no.  Leftists string lies together constantly and they actually mean it.

Now what?
Speak freely. I'll try to be alert for sarcasm.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 7:53am
Print Post  
This is a good argument for freedom of speech and conscience, and why the protections must apply to everyone.

http://reason.com/archives/2017/10/11/diversity-is-not-enough-we-need-pluralis?u...

Edit: It's about property rights too.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Are only people who are born in the US endowed by their Creator with rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

How about people born in the rest of North America, Mexico and Canada?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:31am:
Are only people who are born in the US endowed by their Creator with rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

Everyone on earth as I understand it.

Your question seems silly.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:31am:

The are endowed as well - the main difference is, they don't recognize them in their respective Constitutions.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:00am:
The are endowed as well - the main difference is, they don't recognize them in their respective Constitutions.

Thanks Chief but as far as I know we're heard nothing from any creator. I even kneeled down in front of some wild mushrooms to see if burnsred has a point on them being the creator. Nothing! A lot like when people pray only the mushrooms were there.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:47am:
Thanks Chief but as far as I know we're heard nothing from any creator. I even kneeled down in front of some wild mushrooms to see if burnsred has a point on them being the creator. Nothing! A lot like when people pray only the mushrooms were there.

Let's not get bogged down with the term Creator. Creator can be whatever we want it to be. Or nothing.  The point is that every person alive has natural (inalienable) rights:

Life
Liberty
Happiness
Self-defense

Sometimes religious beliefs can compel a person to waive these rights, but they never actually go away.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 12:31pm:
Let's not get bogged down with the term Creator. Creator can be whatever we want it to be. Or nothing.  The point is that every person alive has natural (inalienable) rights:

Life
Liberty
Happiness
Self-defense

Sometimes religious beliefs can compel a person to waive these rights, but they never actually go away.

I've already mentioned that I have a lot of difficulty on how this 'proof positive' series has been framed. So while I understand your intent, I can't really agree.

Does everyone have natural rights to those?
Does everyone have inalienable rights to those?

Life
Liberty
Happiness
Self-defense

First the Natural. What does natural mean. Does it mean that people should have those rights? Because there's not doubt that the majority of the people living today don't have those rights.

And Inalienable? All those rights have been either refused or taken away from billions of people.

The big problem is in how burnsred framed the topics. It's hard to imagine what his intent was? So regardless of who or what he was envisioning as our 'creator', is just doesn't work.

The only thing I can feel safe in thinking is that he was being coy with the word 'creator' when he obviously meant the god.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 12:40pm:
First the Natural. What does natural mean. Does it mean that people should have those rights? Because there's not doubt that the majority of the people living today don't have those rights.

Actually they DO have these rights -  for whatever reason, they just refuse to admit it.

And Inalienable? All those rights have been either refused or taken away from billions of people.

Natural rights cannot be revoked. It's a philosophical thing.  Sure, you can incapacitate someone with drugs so he is paralyzed, and you can beat him to death. You took away his means of self-defense, but you never took away his natural right of self-defense.

The big problem is in how burnsred framed the topics. It's hard to imagine what his intent was? So regardless of who or what he was envisioning as our 'creator', is just doesn't work.

The only thing I can feel safe in thinking is that he was being coy with the word 'creator' when he obviously meant the god.

I can't speak for burnsred's intent - I think he's making a reference to the Declaration of Independence where it states:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

(I added the bold)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Proof Positive the Right to Free Speech is "Endowed by Our Creator"
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy