Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia? (Read 455 times)
DontTread44

Libertarian's Forum

Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Oct 8th, 2017 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I really don't understand it. Every trend we see from gun control or gun deregulation here is exactly the opposite in Australia. After Texas passed I think concealed carry, they didn't have a mass shooting in over a decade (this is a statistic from 2000 so I don't know how that's changed)

But I'm sure as you all know, Australia hasn't seen one mass shooting since they banned firearms, period. This is the only country that has done this successfully. The UK did that exact same thing and crime rose between 30 and 40 percent.

So what is it that made Australia successful?

IP Logged

burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
I don't know the answer, but it is a damn good question.  The fact that gun bans "work" in Australia and "don't work" elsewhere proves beyond any doubt that gun laws are not a decisive factor in predicting crime rates, terrorism or any other negative effects that U.S. statists attribute to our right to bear arms.  Which goes to show that the anti-gunners are forming their opinions in a fact-free zone. 

It would be easy to be just as guilty.  An advocate of border enforcement could say that Australia has natural border enforcement so they have almost no illegal immigration and that's why their crime is so low.  An advocate of reduced legal immigration could cite Australia's strong vetting of people entering the country. 

Instead of allowing our politics to get in the way of facts, we should try letting facts drive our politics.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
It occurred to me that Australia doesn't have many big cities. They don't.

It also occurred to me that although they are almost certainly governed by regressives, Australian cities didn't raze neighborhoods and build "projects" like American regressives did in their cities.

They didn't have anybody to ghettoize in Australia anyway.

I think it might be a good explanation for a lot of the discrepancy in rates of major felonies.

I could be wrong. Maybe regressive Australian city governments did create ghettos in their cities in the '60-'70s like American regressives did...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I was right, Australian city planners never created ghettos. I think that explains it almost entirely.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
As these statistics show clearly, most people in Australia are civilized. That explains everything that their lack of regressive inner city ghettos doesn't.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4517.0

Edit: I bet most of Australia's felony crimes are drug related.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Different cultures, different results. Also, saying Australia has a ban on firearms is just lazy research and untrue. Restrictions =/= ban. Australia has been between # 15-25 in gun ownership over the last 20 years since the 96 FAA was passed. That's between 23-30 firearms per 100 residents(but #53 in population), even after all the amnesties and whatnot. New guns still come in and there are many pro-gun advocates in Australia as well. Just for comparison, the US is #3(88 per mi density) in population and #1 in guns. Australia is #53 in population(8.8 per mi density) but #21 for gun ownership. So not a good comparison by any stretch.
But to why Australians seem more peaceful on paper as far as mass shootings?

Australia had no major manufacturer of firearms and the population was never as armed anywhere near as the US per ratio of citizen to firearm.

Australia's government intelligence agencies doesn't actively arm rebel groups and cartels around the world.

Australia's ~25 gun per 100 ownership is also representative of a landlocked nation that hasn't had notable domestic wars. Also not much involvement in conflicts period (compared to the US, because that is the context of the post, adding this for those who miss context easily). Something any true libertarian envies greatly. Cultural conflicts add to gun ownership considerably. The US is the world's melting pot and Australia is hard to compare because it's pretty much one major race with a sliver of those who are not mixed with the majority.

Last but not least, Australia never passed prohibition of alcohol. In fact, the drinking age is 18. Why this matters? Well prohibitions create massive black markets and organized crime.

So many other reasons, it's not a good comparison on paper or practice. Very different.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2017 at 8:23pm by Crystallas »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:06pm:
Also not much involvement in conflicts period.
You must be imagining a different Australia.

Does your fantasy Australia that hasn't fought in every war and NATO/UN "war" since WWI have regressive inner cities ghettos, or not?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:11pm:
You must be imagining a different Australia.

Does your fantasy Australia that hasn't fought in every war and NATO/UN "war" since WWI have regressive inner cities ghettos, or not?

They're simple and basically stupid people for the most part. Their ancestors were mostly criminals and they're not far enough removed from them yet. It's somewhat the same as the problem with the US south who aren't far enough removed from being slaveholders. They still can't accept black people as their equal. 

Just a few generations has yielded the same results in both countries.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:22pm:
They're simple and basically stupid people for the most part.
You should go to Australia and tell them just that.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 8th, 2017 at 7:22pm:
Just a few generations has yielded the same results in both countries.
Australia's regressive inner city ghettos are just as bad as ours?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy