Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia? (Read 454 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 4:52pm:
Some fun reading and some interesting graphs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/upshot/compare-these-gun-death-rates-the-us-i...

Not for the fully indocrinated.
But you read it anyway? That was chancy...

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:27pm:
But you read it anyway? That was chancy...
Grin

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 5:12pm:
Don, with all due respect, your inability to read, means your comments on any matter can't taken as relevant.

The wiki article you linked to indicated that Australia dramatically changed there laws in a panic over one incident.  As a result there has been negligible effect on crime and violence in Australia. 

As is typical of you, you do not address the data or information presented, rather you just ignore and deny facts that contradict your opinion.

Edit:  As is typical of such articles, the NY times conflates murder and suicide rates.  2/3s of US gun deaths are suicide and yet we have lower or similar suicide rates than a number of the counties noted for their low gun deaths. 

Honestly, we have a violence problem in the US not a gun problem but that's a lot harder to fix so people like to focus on the guns. 

You have a violence problem in the US!

Yes, you do and it's likely most to do with your violence in foreign lands. So you're half way there. Now all you need to do is connect the dots to find the tool that is used to express that violence. The graphs tell the story ahhell and it tells a story of violence not just injuring people in fist fights, it's final with the tool Americans choose.

It's the recipe for cowardice and the great equalizer between the races.

I'm sorry but your opinions on other countries are not needed or appreciated. The statistics should tell you why.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
You have a violence problem in the US!

Yes. In our regressive big city ghettos, and not much anywhere else. Blame our regressives.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
Yes. In our regressive big city ghettos, and not much anywhere else. Blame our regressives.

I don't have the time to get involved with figuring out where it's a problem jeff. It's just a problem. And these regressives seem to be resorting to their guns to solve their problems.

We need to talk about solutions, not blaming some Americans and not others. They're all Americans.

We're making progress again when you admit the problem!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:59pm:
I don't have the time to get involved with figuring out where it's a problem jeff.
It doesn't take much time at all. In fact it's glaringly obvious.
Regressives took over our big city governments, created a "Great Society", institutionalized racism and built "projects" that became inner city ghettos.

Along the way, they took over and destroyed our big city schools and destroyed families in the ghettos they created.

Not surprisingly, especially when you factor in the "War on Drugs" and the opportunities it creates for gangs to distribute drugs and make lots of money, people in regressive big cities shoot each other.

How could you not know this?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
I'm sorry but your opinions on other countries are not needed or appreciated. The statistics should tell you why.

Why, because I've shown that at least in the case of Australia, more strict gun control had little to no effect on violence?  Sorry that the point you were trying to make is just wrong and the data shows it.

As is typical, you do not address the evidence you dismiss the messenger who brings the evidence.   

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:50am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:27am:
As is typical, you do not address the evidence you dismiss the messenger who brings the evidence.   

Not true as in being typical ahhell, but true for this topic. I dismiss American messengers on this topic.

I think Americans desire a conversation on gun rights and also on how those rights conflict with the rights of others. And having everybody in agreement won't keep the conversation alive for very long.

I think we can discuss the issue without you trying to tell me that I always dismiss the messenger. You could start to accept that I've volunteered to be the odd man out on all these conversations and that makes me the one who drives this forum. Would a little respect be too much to ask?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:50am:
Not true as in being typical ahhell, but true for this topic. I dismiss American messengers on this topic.

I think Americans desire a conversation on gun rights and also on how those rights conflict with the rights of others. And having everybody in agreement won't keep the conversation alive for very long.

I think we can discuss the issue without you trying to tell me that I always dismiss the messenger. You could start to accept that I've volunteered to be the odd man out on all these conversations and that makes me the one who drives this forum. Would a little respect be too much to ask?

I've given you more respect than you've shown to anyone on this forum and if you didn't always just dismiss the forum members when they provide evidence that contradicts your point, I would not keep pointing it out. 

I quoted text from the wiki article that you linked to that indicates Australian guns laws subsequent to the 96 shooting had little to no measurable effect on violence.  You responded by saying my opinion was not valid regarding countries outside of the US.   This is part of a repeated pattern on your part.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:11pm:
I've given you more respect than you've shown to anyone on this forum and if you didn't always just dismiss the forum members when they provide evidence that contradicts your point, I would not keep pointing it out. 

I quoted text from the wiki article that you linked to that indicates Australian guns laws subsequent to the 96 shooting had little to no measurable effect on violence.  You responded by saying my opinion was not valid regarding countries outside of the US.   This is part of a repeated pattern on your part.

I've shown you a lot of respect for the last little while but I admit we didn't get off to a good start. And I showed burnsred a lot of respect too until he went rabid because of my criticisms.

I don't wan to lose you so maybe I'll just bow out of this one on guns for a while. At least with you. All I will say is that you Americans should at least appreciate how insane the whole thing appears to other people in other countries.

The suggestion that the government wants to take away all your guns, should be just a non-starter for me. So I'll leave the topic alone if that would satisfy you. let me know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why has a ban on firearms worked so well for Australia?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy