Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Employers Get into our Personal Business
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Why Employers Get into our Personal Business (Read 170 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Why Employers Get into our Personal Business
Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Why do employers now check our social media posts for "inappropriate" content and look at our credit scores and our medical history?  Why do we put up with it?

The culprit is once again government and our willingness to accept government intrusiveness in exchange for gains for ourselves that are almost always illusory.  Government thinks it is its responsibility and power is to maintain a database of our medical information and we allow it.  So what does it matter that our employers know if we take anti-depressants or if our kids were prescribed vaccines but we chose not to accept them?  Everyone else can know. 

Twenty years ago, an employer would have never imagined going to a worker's family gathering to monitor whether the worker drinks too much, uses profanity or argues politics.  Such an employer would lose that worker and few other people would want to work for them.  But the employer goes on facebook and does the same thing and it's accepted.  Partly because he can do that more easily than driving out of town to follow an employee.  Plus the employee would know if the boss showed up at a family gathering but lurking on Facebook is fairly undetectable as far as I know.  But mainly because that's just what we do now.  We spy on each other because our collectivist system makes us believe we all have that duty.

True, under libertarian system, an employer has every right to lurk on facebook and judge employees based on that.  Government doesn't, but an employer does.  Point is that employers wouldn't want to waste time on such nonsense if the government weren't teaching them that this is the right thing to do.  I'm waiting for a discrimination lawsuit in which the plaintiff claims the employer should have known that her supervisor was sexist from the supervisor's facebook posts.  That happens, employers will have full-time facebook monitors and of course monitors monitoring the monitors.

IP Logged

ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why Employers Get into our Personal Business
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
I disagree on a few points.

Social media is not private unless you go to an effort to make it so.  More like posting on a public bulletin board than anything else.  Back in the day, you're employer might have been attending the same picnic as you and if you got drunk and loudly mocked your employer, there would have been consequences.  By default, social media is public and your employer is allowed to see your public behavior and judge you for it, like they would if they saw you do something stupid at that picnic.

Credit score is a little different.  In part its about the only unbiased source of info a prospective employer has about a potential new employee, thats why they turn to it.  Unless your're an idiot, your references will be glowing and your former employers will be afraid to say anything other than you worked their for  fear of being sued by you or the EEOC. 

As afar as I know its illegal for employees to look at medical records but I believe insurance providers can.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:42am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:02am:
Why do employers now check our social media posts for "inappropriate" content and look at our credit scores and our medical history?  Why do we put up with it?

The culprit is once again government and our willingness to accept government intrusiveness in exchange for gains for ourselves that are almost always illusory.  Government thinks it is its responsibility and power is to maintain a database of our medical information and we allow it.  So what does it matter that our employers know if we take anti-depressants or if our kids were prescribed vaccines but we chose not to accept them?  Everyone else can know. 

Twenty years ago, an employer would have never imagined going to a worker's family gathering to monitor whether the worker drinks too much, uses profanity or argues politics.  Such an employer would lose that worker and few other people would want to work for them.  But the employer goes on facebook and does the same thing and it's accepted.  Partly because he can do that more easily than driving out of town to follow an employee.  Plus the employee would know if the boss showed up at a family gathering but lurking on Facebook is fairly undetectable as far as I know.  But mainly because that's just what we do now.  We spy on each other because our collectivist system makes us believe we all have that duty.

True, under libertarian system, an employer has every right to lurk on facebook and judge employees based on that.  Government doesn't, but an employer does.  Point is that employers wouldn't want to waste time on such nonsense if the government weren't teaching them that this is the right thing to do.  I'm waiting for a discrimination lawsuit in which the plaintiff claims the employer should have known that her supervisor was sexist from the supervisor's facebook posts.  That happens, employers will have full-time facebook monitors and of course monitors monitoring the monitors.

It's entertaining to hear you complain but it doesn't solve anything. So the situation will just continue to get worse in all the ways to which you are objecting.

Did you ever stop to consider that providing workers with real rights is the only way to fix the problem. If you did then you would probably come to the conclusion that taking rights away from workers has been the cause of all of your bitches.

That's something a pseudo-libertarian wouldn't think of though.

IP Logged

burnsred
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Social media is not private unless you go to an effort to make it so.  More like posting on a public bulletin board than anything else.  Back in the day, you're employer might have been attending the same picnic as you and if you got drunk and loudly mocked your employer, there would have been consequences.  By default, social media is public and your employer is allowed to see your public behavior and judge you for it, like they would if they saw you do something stupid at that picnic.
Sure, and I made it clear that an employer has a right to do that.  My post is about why an employer would do that.  To me the answer is clear.  This is how our own elected officials treat us through the bureaucrats they either direct or fail to direct.  Instead of trying to stop the flood of illegal aliens who are rape murderers and traffic in drugs and slaves, instead of rebuilding our roads which governments have had responsibility for over thousands of years, instead of making sure our currency is actually worth something, they appoint themselves the monitors of our family picnics and now the virtual version of them. 

Quote:
Credit score is a little different.  In part its about the only unbiased source of info a prospective employer has about a potential new employee, thats why they turn to it.
I gave up borrowing money well over a decade ago so my credit score is zero.  I'm sure that will make me seem strange to any potential employers.

Quote:
Unless your're an idiot, your references will be glowing and your former employers will be afraid to say anything other than you worked their for  fear of being sued by you or the EEOC.
Then why do employers even bother checking former employers?  Because they are afraid they will be sued if I do something illegal at work like call a male in a dress "he" (punishable by hard time in California!).  So the fearful are consulting the fearful about how to relate to employees and potential employees.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:09pm:
Sure, and I made it clear that an employer has a right to do that.  My post is about why an employer would do that.  To me the answer is clear.  This is how our own elected officials treat us through the bureaucrats they either direct or fail to direct.  Instead of trying to stop the flood of illegal aliens who are rape murderers and traffic in drugs and slaves, instead of rebuilding our roads which governments have had responsibility for over thousands of years, instead of making sure our currency is actually worth something, they appoint themselves the monitors of our family picnics and now the virtual version of them. 

I gave up borrowing money well over a decade ago so my credit score is zero.  I'm sure that will make me seem strange to any potential employers.

Then why do employers even bother checking former employers?  Because they are afraid they will be sued if I do something illegal at work like call a male in a dress "he" (punishable by hard time in California!).  So the fearful are consulting the fearful about how to relate to employees and potential employees.

Make hay while the sun still shines on you burnsred. What California is today in human rights and tolerance to others is what your hillbilly southern states will be in maybe 20 years from now.

You chose peeudo-libertarianism
The dinosaurs went extinct from smoking too much.
Yes, I definitely understand now what your outpouring of the personal stuff was all about. There won't be any need to discuss it further.

I find you to be a valuable addition to this forum! Even more valuable than Jeff. Jeff's not very deep or complicated.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Don't use Facebook. It's a cesspool anyways.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:09pm:
So the fearful are consulting the fearful about how to relate to employees and potential employees.

Yes. Bureaucratic rules given the force of law by  our 'courts' make every free person fearful.

Edit: Have you not noticed?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:06pm:
Yes. Bureaucratic rules given the force of law by  our 'courts' make every free person fearful.

Edit: Have you not noticed?

Hey, a good example of what we were talking about on another thread. Government interfered in employee/employer business by enacting socalled 'right to work' laws.

Until the libertarian learns to oppose that kind of government interference, he will remain a pseudo-libertarian.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:24pm:
Government interfered in employee/employer business by enacting socalled 'right to work' laws.

No. The interference is in granting monopoly power to unions.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:24pm:
No. The interference is in granting monopoly power to unions.

Collective agreements, by their very definition, don't grant monopoly power to either side. Government interference in collective agreements do.

I have no argument with you on you opposing workers' rights Jeff. I'm just saying that a real libertarians can't do that and still claim to be a libertarian.

But then you don't and never really have!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Employers Get into our Personal Business
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy