Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Encyclopedia of Libertarianism
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Encyclopedia of Libertarianism (Read 157 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Encyclopedia of Libertarianism
Oct 11th, 2017 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I haven't had time to use it yet, but expect it wil be a good resource.

https://www.libertarianism.org/encyclopedia?utm_medium=email

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Encyclopedia of Libertarianism
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 12:29pm:
I haven't had time to use it yet, but expect it wil be a good resource.

https://www.libertarianism.org/encyclopedia?utm_medium=email

Not too bad! The topic I chose to read as a sample was Abortion. It was more or less balanced but inevitably it leaned to the right as expected of pseudo-libertarianism. Or at least it did in my opinion.

The problem I see is that it's not going to make anybody very happy because it contains some impartiality. It will likely drive burnsred off the deep end by acknowledging a woman's right to control her own body.

In any case, it does as well as is probably possible on a hot topic. Probably better it it hadn't even been attempted. It will start an argument on this issue alone and libertarianism can't afford to construct any more divisions.

IP Logged

Bickeran

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 1:11pm:
a woman's right to control her own body

+1

You really can't be libertarian and pro-life.

It doesn't matter if you think the fetus is a person.

Just as a landlord has the right to evict any tenant for any reason, because it is his property, the woman has a right to evict anyone on or in her property. Her body certainly qualifies as her property.

It does not matter of the tenant will die as a result. You are not forced to provide a service or a place to live to another person, regardless of the consequences.

One could make the case that this limits how abortions may be done, and that they must evict the fetus without causing any injury to it, but meeting that they may certainly do so.

Yes, life begins at conception.

Too bad. A woman's body is her property.

She is not forced to house anyone in it, for any reason.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 6:08pm:
+1

You really can't be libertarian and pro-life.

Crappity Smack You. Go try to bicker elsewhere.

Edited for capitalization of "crappity smack you".

I continue to marvel that a libertarian freedom forum won't let me say crappity smack you.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 6:08pm:
Yes, life begins at conception.

Too bad. A woman's body is her property.

She is not forced to house anyone in it, for any reason.

Do you feel a woman owns the fetus in the 3rd trimester when the fetus could survive outside her body?

Doesn't her unborn baby have a right to life?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 8:07pm:
Do you feel a woman owns the fetus in the 3rd trimester when the fetus could survive outside her body?

They are like hangnails I think Chief, or genital warts. Something you can have cured if you want to get on with your own life.
Nobody is sure how they happen to infect women's wombs.

IP Logged

Bickeran

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 8:07pm:

An unborn baby is a person with every right a person has.

Life is not a right any more than food is a right.

"Oh I am gonna die if you don't support me" is not valid for a baby being housed in a mom's womb against her will. Just like it's not the landlord's concern if his tenant is about to die. Property owner ALWAYS has every right to throw the sucker out. "It's a person though" is a distraction not the issue. Of course it's a person. So what?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:25pm:

"Oh I am gonna die if you don't support me" is not valid for a baby being housed in a mom's womb against her will. Just like it's not the landlord's concern if his tenant is about to die. Property owner ALWAYS has every right to throw the sucker out. "It's a person though" is a distraction not the issue. Of course it's a person. So what?
You don't believe in Rights at all? Try thinking of your 'right to life' as the Right to not be killed.

Are you not aware that (other than in cases of rape) a baby starts to grow in a woman's womb because of  positive action by the woman?

Property owners don't have a right to kill trespassers. They can throw out people who they have invited into their home, but if they were to do so in such a way that it resulted in that the (formerly) invited guest would certainly die, charges of manslaughter (at least) would be in order.

Have I told you of my plan to make abortion legal until the age of 18? All it would take to make it "morally acceptable" would be a law defining all humans as "fetuses" until they reach their 18th birthdays... I think it would have a good effect on the behavior of the young fetuses, you know, if your best friend fetus Sally gets aborted out out of your 7th Grade class, it would make you think about your own behavior...

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:25pm:

I think there's a good case being made by both sides in the abortion debate in America Bickeran. Both pro-life and freedom of choice for women.

The debate will go on indefinitely until Americans accept the social responsibility to be proactive in reducing the need, perceived or otherwise, for abortions.

A libertarian would immediately accept that simple logic, a pseudo-libertarian would respond in kind to Jeff's sort of spam.

Jeff has given up on life and so is mostly intent on destroying hope for others that haven't. Maybe pseudo-libertarianism attracts such misfits.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
And Jeff, I'm not trying to go one for one with you on the insults and spam, just trying to get the obvious message across on the reason for your behaviour.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Encyclopedia of Libertarianism
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy