Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Piracy" Laws a Waste (Read 1398 times)
Bickeran
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There are no victimless crimes. Help burnsred get his head sorted out on libertarianism.

I disagree with you here cause you could make anything a crime. See here.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:42pm:
I disagree with you here cause you could make anything a crime. See here.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california
You stealing my idea so that you can profit from it rather than me is a crime.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Bickeran
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:00pm:
You stealing my idea so that you can profit from it rather than me is a crime.

I agree which is why we have intellectual property. Also you don't need the bold part it doesn't matter what i do with it stealing is stealing.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Obamacare was the first step in the right direction for your country to finally find a way to allow every American to have affordable high quality health care.
My health care is still high quality just as it was before Obamacare.  But now my premiums and deductibles have more than quadrupled so it is certainly not more affordable.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:06am:
I haven't gotten a handle on the libertarian view of property rights.  Seems to be mixed opinions among the philosophers on that.

But practically speaking, it is almost impossible to keep intellectual property from being stolen.  Look at how countries steal patent medicines by making cheap knockoffs after American companies put in all the work to develop them.

Packaging is the key to marketing a new idea. 

Read or listen to Stephan Kinsella on the topic. A lot of fake libertarians want to marginalize him, that's how good he is. His view stems as an actual subject matter expert in the field, practicing IP law attorney, and not some academic theorist that chills and fights an armchair battle. He debunks stupid myths with facts and reason, like the old destroyed myths on innovation, confusion, etc. Give one of his lectures an open mind and rethink a few things. Even guys like Jan Helfeld that only debate through strategic methodology and not citable facts was destroyed intellectually. To be fair, Jan isn't an experienced IP lawyer, and I only mention this, because that debate within the community brought up some divide between fans of Jan and people who never heard Kinsella talk before(he can be pompous and impatient). The bald Stephan Kinsella, not the irishman.
Heres some basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWShFz4d2RY
And of course, with basics you can have oversimplifications and unanswered questions, Then you dig deeper.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Crystallas!

I'll check Kinsella out.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:35pm:
My health care is still high quality just as it was before Obamacare.  But now my premiums and deductibles have more than quadrupled so it is certainly not more affordable. 

There's never been an argument against 'some' Americans receiving good health care. It's about affordable and for all the people, as is just accepted normal practice in all other modern wealthy first world countries.

But it would be interesting to hear what your cost is now that it's apparently quadrupled? That smells a lot like corruption to begin with to me.

Obamacare was the good part. The bad part was the deliberate destruction of it by the rabid right because they could see their profit being interfered with.

For profit health care can never compete with single payer, government run health care. The simple explanation why is because univeral government run health care doesn't have to profit.

Take your time, it's only your fellow Americans who are suffering as you drag your feet, kicking and screaming to prevent the inevitable.

The statistics burnsred, the statistics!

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:16am:
Read or listen to Stephan Kinsella on the topic. A lot of fake libertarians want to marginalize him, that's how good he is. His view stems as an actual subject matter expert in the field, practicing IP law attorney, and not some academic theorist that chills and fights an armchair battle. He debunks stupid myths with facts and reason, like the old destroyed myths on innovation, confusion, etc. Give one of his lectures an open mind and rethink a few things. Even guys like Jan Helfeld that only debate through strategic methodology and not citable facts was destroyed intellectually. To be fair, Jan isn't an experienced IP lawyer, and I only mention this, because that debate within the community brought up some divide between fans of Jan and people who never heard Kinsella talk before(he can be pompous and impatient). The bald Stephan Kinsella, not the irishman.
Heres some basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWShFz4d2RY
And of course, with basics you can have oversimplifications and unanswered questions, Then you dig deeper.

Rather than reading it, could you give a brief explanation on what he is saying. Then we can make a decision on reading it or not.

IP Logged

Bickeran
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Rather than reading it, could you give a brief explanation on what he is saying. Then we can make a decision on reading it or not.

Basically he spends 90% of his time attacking a strawman that "not having intellectual property hurts society so have it" so he knocks that down easily cause it's a strawman.

His ONE good point is that the founding fathers and a few other libertarians never THOUGHT it was a natural right but in like the same sentence he says it doesn't matter what peeps think cause he says slavery was constitutional doesn't make it right and he kind of reminds me of Jeff cause he knows the score he's just trying to hurt big business and help the "little guy" he crappity smackin says so with all the time he spends on how intellectual property hurts the little guy well of course it does who cares who it hurts or helps once again STEALING IS STEALING.

Dude if i could make an argument how much better society is w/o laws against murder would you say murder is okay?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 1:54pm:
Basically he spends 90% of his time attacking a strawman that "not having intellectual property hurts society so have it" so he knocks that down easily cause it's a strawman.

His ONE good point is that the founding fathers and a few other libertarians never THOUGHT it was a natural right but in like the same sentence he says it doesn't matter what peeps think cause he says slavery was constitutional doesn't make it right and he kind of reminds me of Jeff cause he knows the score he's just trying to hurt big business and help the "little guy" he crappity smackin says so with all the time he spends on how intellectual property hurts the little guy well of course it does who cares who it hurts or helps once again STEALING IS STEALING.

Dude if i could make an argument how much better society is w/o laws against murder would you say murder is okay?

That makes it interesting enough for me to maybe read it. thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy