Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Piracy" Laws a Waste (Read 1362 times)
AlayneLeung
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Tommy Palven, thank you for starting this topic.  My multiparty friend chipburcham told me that he had met at a library some years ago (about a decade or perhaps half a decade) a woman and a man that said those two hubeings are respectively sister and brother of a man that committed death by hopelessness because he was so terrified that he was going to be imprisoned for life for copyright infringement or patent infringement, he wouldn't communicate with hubeing(s) very much for fear of being sued for  hundreds of billions of dollars, and so that's why that sister and brother joined the Pirate Party of the USA.  The USA is very long overdue for establishing and putting to effect a copyleft office and a copymodifications office and an "authorizations to make it or them" office and an "authorizations to modify it or them" office.  What should be the result if two or more personnel, of not necessarily respectively two or more countries, simultaneously create identical work(s) or trademark(s) or servicemark(s) or wordnumbermark(s) or invention(s) , and claim against each other that the other personnel (that also simultaneously claimed created them) didn't create them? Sanctions? A war?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Some interesting things about how copyright law is being misused:

https://reason.com/2019/09/30/stairway-to-heaven-and-the-scope-of-musical-copyri...

And a song containing the controversial bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg&feature=youtu.be&t=44s

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "Piracy" Laws a Waste; how would left office & mod office function?
Reply #32 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
How would a copyleft office and a copymod office function in relation to USA Copyright office?

How would a "authorizations to make it or them" office and an "authorizations to modify it or them" office function in relation to USA Patent and Trademark Office?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 5:07pm:
How would a copyleft office and a copymod office function in relation to USA Copyright office?

About the same? Which faction is in power?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 5:07pm:
How would a "authorizations to make it or them" office and an "authorizations to modify it or them" office function in relation to USA Patent and Trademark Office?
Theories of general liberty say no one has a right to require that you ask permission of any government.

As a child, you were legally required to ask permission of your parents and teachers, lest you be taken away to reform school.

This was not entirely true, and I was still in High School when I figured out that it's easier to ask forgiveness. Smiley Mostly.

If you are really unsure... Don't.

Learn more. Seek advice.

Ignore it if you want to! Smiley

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff,  I think both the Democrats and the Republicans support copyright office. 

Also, I was thinking income from a copylefted work wouldn't be taxable and copylefted work wouldn't need a reregistration fee and would not be protected from beings not-authorized to use said copylefted work, but the opposite would be true for copyrighted works.  So that leaves us with deciding how to establish laws for the copymods office.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 4:43pm:
Jeff,  I think both the Democrats and the Republicans support copyright office. 

Is there a poll?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 4:43pm:
Also, I was thinking income from a copylefted work wouldn't be taxable and copylefted work wouldn't need a reregistration fee and would not be protected from beings not-authorized to use said copylefted work, but the opposite would be true for copyrighted works.  So that leaves us with deciding how to establish laws for the copymods office.
Sure, why not? Has any polling been done to see how the People feel about this?

I assume the final decision will be made democratically?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #38 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Tommy Palven wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:54am:
A study showing that intellectual property laws are a waste of time and money has been suppressed:
https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818...

And another article flies right over Tom's head.

That didn't show that the laws are a waste of time.  It only showed that under the current system piracy isn't causing lost sales.  It's a fallacy to claim that therefore we can eliminate existing laws, it didn't show that or even claim that.  You misread it and came to an unsubstantiated conclusion from it.

For example, right now if you wrote a book, no one can photocopy it and openly sell it on the street for $1.  If we eliminated piracy laws, they could

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #39 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:06am:
I haven't gotten a handle on the libertarian view of property rights.  Seems to be mixed opinions among the philosophers on that.

But practically speaking, it is almost impossible to keep intellectual property from being stolen.  Look at how countries steal patent medicines by making cheap knockoffs after American companies put in all the work to develop them.

Packaging is the key to marketing a new idea. 

Anarchists are all against property rights, by definition.  Small government libertarians are overwhelmingly in favor of intellectual property rights.  We view protecting property in general as one of the few legitimate functions of government

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy