Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Piracy" Laws a Waste (Read 1929 times)
AlayneLeung
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Reply #40 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Libertarians also believe that if you want to use Amendment IX and/or Amendment XIII to have your work(s) or invention(s) copylefted or copymodded or patented for all or license derivative modification(s) , then you must be allowed to do so because libertarians don't believe government must require you to have exclusive right(s) to your work(s) you write or type or draw or paint or color(s) or compose or invent.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #41 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 2nd, 2019 at 4:13pm:
Libertarians also believe that if you want to use Amendment IX and/or Amendment XIII to have your work(s) or invention(s) copylefted or copymodded or patented for all or license derivative modification(s) , then you must be allowed to do so because libertarians don't believe government must require you to have exclusive right(s) to your work(s) you write or type or draw or paint or color(s) or compose or invent.

Actually, almost all libertarians are small government libertarians and we believe that protecting property rights, including intellectual property, is one of the few legitimate functions of government.

You're referring to anarchists.  Anarchists are a tiny percent even when you're talking about just libertarians

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Someone I know plays WoW heavily.

I've only really dabbled.

What interests me about it is that WoW Classic has such success.

For years, Blizzard, the company that makes WoW, refused to bring out Classic because, they said, it would not be a success, because players, they said, didn't really want to play that way anymore. It was just nostalgia.

The thing that forced the issue was (illegal) private WoW servers, using stolen code to provide Classic WoW to players. The forums were flooded with goodbye posts by people pleading that they didn't want to be pirates, but that modern WoW simply sucked, and they'd play on an illegal private server if they had to.

They lost players.

Competition happened.

Blizzard came out with Classic.

Wouldn't have happened (in a lot of peoples' opinions) if not for illegal piracy.

My mate's solution is to never, ever, ever, no matter what, stop anybody from doing or selling anything due to Intellectual Property.

However, if you're making money from someone else's idea, some of your profits are rightfully theirs. She even suggests price mandates to make sure the private servers don't cost less than actual WoW, and Blizzard gets a portion (no more than half). So no undercutting to ruin the rightful originators of a product, but if you can do it better, well then, they'd better keep up.

I wonder what libertarians have to say about this solution.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 2nd, 2019 at 4:46pm:
Actually, almost all libertarians are small government libertarians and we believe that protecting property rights, including intellectual property, is one of the few legitimate functions of government.

You're referring to anarchists.  Anarchists are a tiny percent even when you're talking about just libertarians
Wow! You get something right every once in a while too!

Law of averages.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 2nd, 2019 at 4:53pm:
However, if you're making money from someone else's idea, some of your profits are rightfully theirs. She even suggests price mandates to make sure the private servers don't cost less than actual WoW, and Blizzard gets a portion (no more than half). So no undercutting to ruin the rightful originators of a product, but if you can do it better, well then, they'd better keep up.

I wonder what libertarians have to say about this solution.
It's sounds like the typical confused tripe that lawmakers use to try to sell fresh dogshit to taxpayers at a high price.

Of course that's really a classical liberal position...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

"Piracy" Laws a Waste. I'm sure libertarians allow voluntary sharing..
Reply #45 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
... Jeff, kaz, I wasn't referring to anarchism when I said that libertarians don't oppose allowing hubeing(s) (not necessarily all hubeings) that voluntarily want to share their property.  If some hubeing(s) want their design(s) or novel(s) or picture(s) or music(s) or mark(s) or invention(s) copylefted or publicmarked or publicpatented, as in registered with the government (thus not anarchism) for total and complete sharing of any or all of said property, that said hubeing(s) want to voluntarily share and no desire and no ability of said hubeing(s) to sue for "infringement" , then libertarians allow said voluntary sharing of said property.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "Piracy" Laws a Waste. I'm sure libertarians allow voluntary sharing..
Reply #46 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 8:19am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 9th, 2019 at 6:27pm:
... Jeff, kaz, I wasn't referring to anarchism when I said that libertarians don't oppose allowing hubeing(s) (not necessarily all hubeings) that voluntarily want to share their property.  If some hubeing(s) want their design(s) or novel(s) or picture(s) or music(s) or mark(s) or invention(s) copylefted or publicmarked or publicpatented, as in registered with the government (thus not anarchism) for total and complete sharing of any or all of said property, that said hubeing(s) want to voluntarily share and no desire and no ability of said hubeing(s) to sue for "infringement" , then libertarians allow said voluntary sharing of said property.
"Copylefted"?

If you want to share your ideas or creations with everyone, just don't copyright or patent them.

Libertarians like voluntary sharing!

Why should you have to register your poem with the government if you just want it to be shared freely?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #47 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 9:17am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 9th, 2019 at 6:27pm:

No one thinks government should prevent you from sharing your ideas.  What is the point in that non-statement?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 9:17am:
No one thinks government should prevent you from sharing your ideas.  What is the point in that non-statement?
That no matter what you might want to do, you need government permission.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #49 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 10:31am:
That no matter what you might want to do, you need government permission.

So you need government permission to NOT get copyright, trademark and patent protection for your ideas.  Got it.

Now roll over and sleep it off, drunkard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Piracy" Laws a Waste
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy