Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Sun and Moon Stopped Moving??
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Sun and Moon Stopped Moving?? (Read 328 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Sun and Moon Stopped Moving??
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 10:00am:
Only Don seems to find himself clever in that he "discovered" that bibles can't really be the unerring truth written by God.

Donat's biggest error is in imagining that there can be no truth at all in the Bible.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
Donat's biggest error is in imagining that there can be no truth at all in the Bible.
Yes, which is as illogical as saying there can be no falsehood in the bible.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Literalist do seem to really think that the Bible can only be entirely true or entirely false, which is clearly false.  Don and a number of other atheists I know of seem to really want this to be true. 

As a friend of mine says, Jesus himself spoke in parables, therefore the Bible is clearly not entirely literally true so why can't some of the rest also be parables.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As a friend of mine says, Jesus himself spoke in parables, therefore the Bible is clearly not entirely literally true so why can't some of the rest also be parables.
That would be an interesting question to ask a literalist (living in Texas, I happen to know a few):  'Did Jesus literally mean that there once ten virgins, five foolish and five wise?'  (and if so, where can I find more of them?) or was that a great teacher's way to make a point?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 11:14am:
Yes, which is as illogical as saying there can be no falsehood in the bible.

There can be truth in the bible obviously. I've just pointed out that they aided science in understanding what they were on about when the sun and the moon stood still.

That accomplished two things at once. It proved that what people understood in the ancient days when that crap was written just wasn't understood. And it proved that they were tallking about an eclipse.

I think Noah's great flood has also been pinned down to some local event that they understood as the earth being flooded. Where the f--k they got the pairs of animals from, you figure it out.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Where the f--k they got the pairs of animals from, you figure it out.
Well, but that's been proven by the fossil record.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:05pm:
Literalist do seem to really think that the Bible can only be entirely true or entirely false, which is clearly false.  Don and a number of other atheists I know of seem to really want this to be true. 

If I'm the liberalist then my position is that they can have as many parables as they like. But then they can't go on to say that the bible is the liberal word of the god and inerrantly true.

That seems fair to me. How about you?

I suppose that you could say that when they talked of the earth being flat, that was a parable for some purpose too? But I tend to think that they really did believe that the earth was flat. Or the sun and moon stood still?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:08pm:
Well, but that's been proven by the fossil record.

I'm all in on a debate over creation vs. evolution. But I would first just warn you that the two don't belong together as opposite choices. Creation belongs in your church as a matter of your faith. Science and Darwinian evolution is the fossil records.

So to begin with, none of the animals the bible spoke about even existed when they floated Noah's ark did they?

Trick question.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:09pm:
If I'm the liberalist then my position is that they can have as many parables as they like. But then they can't go on to say that the bible is the liberal word of the god and inerrantly true.

That seems fair to me. How about you?

I suppose that you could say that when they talked of the earth being flat, that was a parable for some purpose too? But I tend to think that they really did believe that the earth was flat. Or the sun and moon stood still?
Literalists are clearly wrong.  Good thing most christians aren't literalists and don's say the bible is the literal inerrant word of god.  It can be inerrantly ture in a metaphorical sense without being literally true.   

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:22pm:
Literalists are clearly wrong.  Good thing most christians aren't literalists and don's say the bible is the literal inerrant word of god.  It can be inerrantly ture in a metaphorical sense without being literally true.   

I think that liberalists are only right in the sense that Christians used to say that the bible is the liberal word of god, but have modified that over time in order to fit in with science's understanding of our world. And that's not saying that some don't still stick with the bible being the literal word of god. In fact, far more than are willing to admit it.

Ken Ham has built an ark that is likely nearing completion. It's something like 200 yards long and it's made of wood!

But the better example was when the Intelligent Designers tried to use 'Irreducible complexity' to prove the literal word of god. They made the big mistake of getting themselves involved in science, and theirs was bad science.

If you're a Christian you shouldn't be doing this!

But I'll guarantee you one thing. This liberalist is qhite happy to continue to show that none of the bible can be taken literally. Piece by piece, as long as believers are going to create the soapbox from which to argue. No, you really shouldn't be doing this!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Sun and Moon Stopped Moving??
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy