Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun! (Read 294 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun!
Reply #20 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 4:06pm:
If they serously resisted turning them in then that would lead to the only remedy. However,  I think that 99.999% of them would give up their semi-autos at least when the cops showed theirs. So there would be say no more than a few thousand dead holdouts. .001% of 300 million is about 3000 give or take.
Shouldn't they take pistols from criminals in Chicago (and the rest of our regressive big cities like Baltimore etc.) first?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I know it's a common debate point to say that anti-gunner don't know what the term "assault rifle" really means.  Yes, they are silly and ignorant for not knowing that.  But I don't get defensive about the term because in a libertarian system, it would be irrelevant that a civilian AR-15 has no capability for automatic fire.  Because in a libertarian system, civilians would have their natural right to own automatic rifles respected just as much as their right to own flintlock rifles.
You don't think people in America have that right? That it's a privilege the Sovereign might grant to certain people under certain circumstances of which the Sovereign approves (like protecting the Sovereign and his friends and family and cronies) to keep and bear modern firearms?

I don't find any granted power in the Constitution for denying anyone the same "privilege"- Why is it not called a right?
Oh, it is a right.  I said in a libertarian system that right would be respected.  Under our current system, it is not.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:54pm:
Good point!

I would resort to prying them out of their cold dead hands. But I think most of them would give them up peacefully.
That's your idea of a realistic solution?  Or is it pie-in-the-sky?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 9:08pm:
That's your idea of a realistic solution?  Or is it pie-in-the-sky?

It's his heart's desire. Of course government would fail in trying to confiscate all the guns, just like it did in the Soviet Union.

That's why I suggested a pilot project of taking pistols away from criminals in our cities, to see how effective the government can be at disarming criminals.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
That's why I suggested a pilot project of taking pistols away from criminals in our cities, to see how effective the government can be at disarming criminals.
Great idea!

Perfect way to test the effectiveness of proposed new gun laws is to enforce existing gun laws which are invariably the strictest in areas with the most crime.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 1:45pm:
Yes. That is what happened. Another government failure.

Well at least we've arrived at everybody understanding that US government is corrupt. Or was it just Texas state government.

I wonder if part of the reason why Canada has many times less gun killings is because of better government?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I wonder if part of the reason why Canada has many times less gun killings is because of better government?
Based on their history, Canadians seem to be a naturally passive people.

With your highly restrictive immigration laws, you are keeping outsiders from changing your natures.

If it works for you, fine.  Knuckling under to an all-powerful government wouldn't fly with Americans.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
Based on their history, Canadians seem to be a naturally passive people.

And Americans are just naturally more aggressive? I don't perceive that in person to person meetings with Americans, however they are in my country and they could have their horns pulled in. As to starting wars of aggression, you would be right, but that may not be what you're trying to say.

Quote:
With your highly restrictive immigration laws, you are keeping outsiders from changing your natures.

Currently our laws are much more open than yours and we are accepting immigrants from countries that your Trump has cut off. I'm not sure if we've ever been more restrictive. You can't just suggest something and expect me to accept it.

Quote:
If it works for you, fine.  Knuckling under to an all-powerful government wouldn't fly with Americans.

In fact, my guess is that we are now much freer than Americans. Due in part to your need to protect yourselves from revenge by Muslims. And frankly, you people on this forum are complaining about your loss of freedom much more than Canadians. How on earth could we be less free than you.

My experience from the last time I was in San Diego was that there were signs up all over the place threatening $10,000 fines for something as little as your dog shitting on the grass!

If you're now trying to claim Americans are freer, I'm listening!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 11:58am:
Great idea!

Perfect way to test the effectiveness of proposed new gun laws is to enforce existing gun laws which are invariably the strictest in areas with the most crime.

This has already been tried in Chicago.  It actually made the murder rate go up.

The problem isn't the guns.  It's the lunatics who wield them.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:04pm:
Well at least we've arrived at everybody understanding that US government is corrupt. Or was it just Texas state government.

In this case, it was the Air Force which failed. That doesn't make the Air Force corrupt ninny.

If you have evidence that that our military has been corrupted and is intentionally aiding and abetting criminals, you should air it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy