Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun! (Read 291 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun!
Reply #30 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:00pm:
This has already been tried in Chicago.  It actually made the murder rate go up.

Chicago tried to take guns out of the hands of criminals? Then the murder rate went up because all they actually did was take guns away from law abiding citizens.

What they don't do in Chicago is apply the existing laws to penalize the criminal use of guns.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:33pm:
Chicago tried to take guns out of the hands of criminals? Then the murder rate went up because all they actually did was take guns away from law abiding citizens.

What they don't do in Chicago is apply the existing laws to penalize the criminal use of guns.

Corrupt! They obviously should have thought of ways to take guns out of the hands of criminals.

But more important, they should have thought of how to take guns out of the hands of 'future' criminals.

Because lets face it monkey boy, the shooter isn't a repeat offender in any of these mass shootings. He's a first time learner. Man oh man, if he had some experience what fun he could have!

The shooter could be a wife beater but that's hardly a reason to take away his 2nd. amendment rights. No more than being a jaywalker would be. Or even if he was formerly convicted of unarmed theft of candy or cars.

I think we should have a closer look at bad government!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
Corrupt! They obviously should have thought of ways to take guns out of the hands of criminals.

Yes, regressive governments like those that have controlled Chicago for generations are corrupt.

IP Logged

Bickeran
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
The shooter could be a wife beater but that's hardly a reason to take away his 2nd. amendment rights. No more than being a jaywalker would be. Or even if he was formerly convicted of unarmed theft of candy or cars.

here's the thing about rights: they don't go away cause youre bad

they don't go away cause you violate rights urself

they are absolute

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 4:23pm:

they are absolute
Then the only solution is to hang violent people.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 4:23pm:

they are absolute

It's you Americans who don't understand that and hence don't practice it. Of course criminals should have rights.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Based on their history, Canadians seem to be a naturally passive people.

And Americans are just naturally more aggressive? I don't perceive that in person to person meetings with Americans, however they are in my country and they could have their horns pulled in.
Sure.  When in Rome . . .
Quote:
As to starting wars of aggression, you would be right, but that may not be what you're trying to say.
That is part of our aggressive makeup also.  A part we need to bring under control through libertarianism.

Quote:
Currently our laws are much more open than yours and we are accepting immigrants from countries that your Trump has cut off. I'm not sure if we've ever been more restrictive. You can't just suggest something and expect me to accept it.
I'm not fool enough to claim that I've ever read a single word of Canadian immigration law.  But I can judge a tree by the fruit that it bears.  You have far less than half of our immigrants with far more land on which for them to live.  If it isn't because of strict immigration laws, then it must be another reason like Canada having a reputation as a hell hole which I haven't heard.

Quote:
If it works for you, fine.  Knuckling under to an all-powerful government wouldn't fly with Americans.

If you're now trying to claim Americans are freer, I'm listening!
No, I don't know enough about Canada to know which country is more free.  I don't think America is free enough which is why I'm a libertarian.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:20pm:
Sure.  When in Rome . . .
That is part of our aggressive makeup also.  A part we need to bring under control through libertarianism.

I'm not fool enough to claim that I've ever read a single word of Canadian immigration law.  But I can judge a tree by the fruit that it bears.  You have far less than half of our immigrants with far more land on which for them to live.  If it isn't because of strict immigration laws, then it must be another reason like Canada having a reputation as a hell hole which I haven't heard.

No, I don't know enough about Canada to know which country is more free.  I don't think America is free enough which is why I'm a libertarian.
You think immigration should be based on land mass while I think it should be based on population. I base my position on the ability to employ immigrants which shoiuld be based on the number of employers and the number of empoyees being needed.

However, I grant you some room to claim that land mass should also be a consideration. It certainly can be said that we have much more room for more immigrants. Even though practical considerations would say that we would need to assimilate large numbers slower.

So yes burnsred, you have mad a valid point.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You think immigration should be based on land mass while I think it should be based on population. I base my position on the ability to employ immigrants which shoiuld be based on the number of employers and the number of empoyees being needed.
So Canada is being selfish by only letting in a certain number of immigrants?

As long as there is a good political and economic system, land size is the only limit to immigration.  Unless there is a political opposition to "ferners" as appears to be the case with Canada.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:34am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
So Canada is being selfish by only letting in a certain number of immigrants?

As long as there is a good political and economic system, land size is the only limit to immigration.  Unless there is a political opposition to "ferners" as appears to be the case with Canada.

As I've said, I think it's reasonable to base it partly on a country's population. Land area would also be a consideration.

Burnsred, you offered a paragraph that was bolded that had something to do with mental illness in Canada and maybe something to do with putting people in insane asylums. I can't find it now. I wanted to read it and answer your question or comment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Texas Mass Shooter Wasn't Supposed to Be Carrying a Gun!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy