Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Did the Church Members Believe it was Illegal to Pack Heat in Church?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Did the Church Members Believe it was Illegal to Pack Heat in Church? (Read 208 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Did the Church Members Believe it was Illegal to Pack Heat in Church?
Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Possibly.  The law is written in a way that seems deliberately confusing on that point as laws often are.

Quote:
§46.035, Texas Penal Code prohibits carrying of handguns and other weapons:

On the premises of a business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption; such premises are required to post notices under Texas GC §411.204
    On the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting or interscholastic event is taking place
    On the premises of a correctional facility
    On the premises of a hospital or nursing home if effective notice of prohibition is given per Penal Code Chapter 30 (unless the licensee has written authorization); such premises also are required to post notices under Texas GC §411.204
    In an amusement park (if effective notice of prohibition is given per Penal Code Chapter 30)
    On the premises of a church, synagogue, or other place of worship (if effective notice of prohibition is given per Penal Code Chapter 30)
    At any meeting of a governmental entity (if the meeting is subject to the Texas Open Meetings Act per Government Code Chapter 551, and effective notice of prohibition is given per Penal Code Chapter 30)
    On the premises of State Hospitals (in accordance to Health and Safety Code, Chapter 552, and effective notice of prohibition is given per Penal Code Chapter 30)
This would (and apparently did) stop many honest citizens from being armed while worshiping.  No doubt some overzealous officer might take the opportunity to get a Sunday morning "collar" at the costs of ruining an honest person's life.

Government has made us sheep to be sheared both in the laws that it passes and in the way government officials misapply those laws.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Did the Church Members Believe it was Illegal to Pack Heat in Church?
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:17pm:
Possibly.  The law is written in a way that seems deliberately confusing on that point as laws often are.

This would (and apparently did) stop many honest citizens from being armed while worshiping.  No doubt some overzealous officer might take the opportunity to get a Sunday morning "collar" at the costs of ruining an honest person's life.

Government has made us sheep to be sheared both in the laws that it passes and in the way government officials misapply those laws.

I wouldln't be opposed to allowing people to pack heat in their churches. But I don't think handguns would have helped in this case. Maybe if they were allowed to take their AR-15's to church and be allowed to keep them loaded with large magazines so they would have a fighting chance. Gun racks made especially for AR-15's could also be mounted on the backs of the pews? Ammo boxes at the ends of each row?

Or maybe something a little more sensible and respectable for Texans would be churches that are built to be relatively bullet proof and with doors kept locked when the people are being serviced?

Police called to be on guard before the church opens for business and when it's closing for business. A couple of police cars stationed outside the church?

Although I have to wonder if any of those precautions, including packing heat to church is really the answer. If anyone was going to take out a crowd in any place they would still favour a church because the victims would have their backs turned and their heads in the stars and he would get at least a full row of them before they came back to reality. And that's being conservative!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 2:17pm:
I wouldln't be opposed to allowing people to pack heat in their churches. But I don't think handguns would have helped in this case. Maybe if they were allowed to take their AR-15's to church and be allowed to keep them loaded with large magazines so they would have a fighting chance. Gun racks made especially for AR-15's could also be mounted on the backs of the pews? Ammo boxes at the ends of each row?

Or maybe something a little more sensible and respectable for Texans would be churches that are built to be relatively bullet proof and with doors kept locked when the people are being serviced?

Police called to be on guard before the church opens for business and when it's closing for business. A couple of police cars stationed outside the church?

Although I have to wonder if any of those precautions, including packing heat to church is really the answer. If anyone was going to take out a crowd in any place they would still favour a church because the victims would have their backs turned and their heads in the stars and he would get at least a full row of them before they came back to reality. And that's being conservative!
Gosh, all that is very true.

If only someone would propose a system in which churches and the individuals that own them would make those decisions.  Like, they could have the "liberty" to either be armed or not, have rear entrances or not, hire police or not.

If only . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 2:37pm:
Gosh, all that is very true.

If only someone would propose a system in which churches and the individuals that own them would make those decisions.  Like, they could have the "liberty" to either be armed or not, have rear entrances or not, hire police or not.

If only . . .

I see it as your reality in the near future. Nobody will be safe anywhere without packing heat. I especially like the idea of the mothers having a piece in their purses and learning to do a quick draw when somebody looks like they're going to take out one of her babies. Sure there will be an occasional over reaction to an innocent guy with a flashlight that looks like a gun but that's the price of being an American!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
a flashlight that looks like a gun
Oh, yeah.  Those are sooooo common.

Don't forget how those deranged mother are going to be mowing down people with cigarette lighters that look like pistols .  Or those ones that look like a pistol but a little flag that says "BANG!" comes out . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:20pm:
Oh, yeah.  Those are sooooo common.

Don't forget how those deranged mother are going to be mowing down people with cigarette lighters that look like pistols .  Or those ones that look like a pistol but a little flag that says "BANG!" comes out . . .

Burnsred, joking aside, it's getting to where eveybody will have to be packing heat in order to be safe. At least in their car glove compartment in in a lady's purse. I understand that you may not think that would be a problem. So be it!

I find if all quite amusing. It this makes you feel uncomfortable then you don't have to talk about it. I think it's the gun's problem because Texans are touching their guns in places that make the guns feel uncomfortable.
Do all your guns have long barrels?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Back to the topic of male masturbation, I see.

I have no trouble with grannies packing pistols to protect themselves.  The federal government claims it has a problem with convicted felons doing so.  But apparently, that's not at the top of its priority list since it couldn't be bothered to even put the information about the church shooter in the federal database.

Point of that is that once again limiting gun rights by law only works for people who respect the law. You think the church shooter was surprised when he passed the background check and said, "Uh, you sure?  Better check again; I'm a violent felon."

I suppose that if he had burned the church down on a Sunday morning, you'd be calling for common sense gasoline control, like no gas cans larger than a half gallon and a background check to buy such a flammable explosive as unleaded with 5% ethylene? 

I still haven't heard what common sense truck control you called or in the wake of the New York terror attack.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:52pm:
Back to the topic of male masturbation, I see.

I have no trouble with grannies packing pistols to protect themselves.  The federal government claims it has a problem with convicted felons doing so.  But apparently, that's not at the top of its priority list since it couldn't be bothered to even put the information about the church shooter in the federal database.

Point of that is that once again limiting gun rights by law only works for people who respect the law. You think the church shooter was surprised when he passed the background check and said, "Uh, you sure?  Better check again; I'm a violent felon."

I suppose that if he had burned the church down on a Sunday morning, you'd be calling for common sense gasoline control, like no gas cans larger than a half gallon and a background check to buy such a flammable explosive as unleaded with 5% ethylene? 

I still haven't heard what common sense truck control you called or in the wake of the New York terror attack.

Would you agree that the problem is escalating? Not saying what the problem is, but considering a way to solve the escalating problem?

Apparently the last big three are all within 17 months time. And the stats say there's one 'mass' shooting every day now.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:17pm:
Possibly.
Most likely is that those people felt no need to take guns into their Church. After this, more will. Donat will talk about gungoons in the Congregation being evil and dangerous.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 7th, 2017 at 4:00pm:
Would you agree that the problem is escalating?
Sure. Lots of people around here are practicing with their pistols, and I did some defensive shotgun training just the other day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Did the Church Members Believe it was Illegal to Pack Heat in Church?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy