Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarianism and Mental Illness
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarianism and Mental Illness (Read 235 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarianism and Mental Illness
Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, and that's the point. To claim mental illness is the reason for the problem just won't fly, unless you accept that your mental illness problem far exceeds any other first world country with gun violence rates far less than yours.
Or it could be that first world countries are quicker to involuntarily incarcerate mentally ill people.

Why, yes.  Canada leads the way:

By 2016, 7 provinces had made significant amendments to their involuntary admission criteria. Table 1 shows criteria for all jurisdictions including the 4 with changes prior to 2001. Between 2001 and 2016, 3 additional provinces, Nova Scotia,8,s.17 Newfoundland and Labrador,9,s.17 and Alberta,10,s.6 made significant changes to their involuntary admission criteria. Each of these provinces’ changes was similar: expanding the criteria to include broadly defined harms, rather than just dangerousness, and introducing a substantial mental or physical deterioration criterion as an alternative to the harm criterion. Some provinces also incorporated a requirement that the person be incapable of making admission or treatment decisions to be admitted involuntarily.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4794956/

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:25pm:
Or it could be that first world countries are quicker to involuntarily incarcerate mentally ill people.

Why, yes.  Canada leads the way:

By 2016, 7 provinces had made significant amendments to their involuntary admission criteria. Table 1 shows criteria for all jurisdictions including the 4 with changes prior to 2001. Between 2001 and 2016, 3 additional provinces, Nova Scotia,8,s.17 Newfoundland and Labrador,9,s.17 and Alberta,10,s.6 made significant changes to their involuntary admission criteria. Each of these provinces’ changes was similar: expanding the criteria to include broadly defined harms, rather than just dangerousness, and introducing a substantial mental or physical deterioration criterion as an alternative to the harm criterion. Some provinces also incorporated a requirement that the person be incapable of making admission or treatment decisions to be admitted involuntarily.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4794956/

Good topic! I'm more than willing to get at it but are you going to stay with me?

later!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Good topic! I'm more than willing to get at it but are you going to stay with me?

later!
Nice dodge . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 7:32pm:
I will! Let's get on with it woosie!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 2:53am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:45pm:
Under a libertarian system, we cannot lock people up we think are mentally ill but haven't committed a crime yet.  But that's true under the existing system so it isn't a flaw in libertarianism.

Actually I can say from experience that this is not the way it works. Look up the Baker Act.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:04am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 2:53am:
Actually I can say from experience that this is not the way it works. Look up the Baker Act.
It's a bad law. Almost certainly "progressives" in the Florida government created it and passed it. It purports to reach only people who are an "imminent danger" to themselves or others... That probably means that libertarians could be locked up in "mental health facilities" for advocating a system that permits individuals to be free. Nothing is more dangerous to tyrants than individual Liberty.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 8:04am:
It's a bad law. Almost certainly "progressives" in the Florida government created it and passed it. It purports to reach only people who are an "imminent danger" to themselves or others... That probably means that libertarians could be locked up in "mental health facilities" for advocating a system that permits individuals to be free. Nothing is more dangerous to tyrants than individual Liberty.

Not only do innocent people get locked up; the guilty get released. Unlike me, my mom actually commits crimes. Then, because she's nuts, she goes to the loopy house instead of jail. After having committed crimes. And the moment she seems better, she gets released, without having to answer for them.

Florida is a $#&%ed up state.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 2:42pm:
Not only do innocent people get locked up; the guilty get released. Unlike me, my mom actually commits crimes. Then, because she's nuts, she goes to the loopy house instead of jail. After having committed crimes. And the moment she seems better, she gets released, without having to answer for them.

Florida is a $#&%ed up state.
When did you move to Florida?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
When did you move to Florida?

I moved out of Florida.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 7:03am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:32pm:
I moved out of Florida.
Are the laws regarding "mental illness" different where you are now?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarianism and Mental Illness
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy