Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarianism and Mental Illness
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarianism and Mental Illness (Read 237 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarianism and Mental Illness
Reply #30 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:08am:
Yes, and it is the factor today that is different from previous decades. 

Not very logical to blame the 2nd amendment, which has been around for two hundred years.  Under a libertarian system, there would be much greater discussion of the harmful effects of the medications the pharmaceutical industry pushes through doctors to patients. 

To begin with burnsred, you need to know that Jeff is contructing a different scenario here to suit the topic. He doesn't think there was just one shooter and he doesn't think one shooter's drug problem was the reason for the shooting.

Honestly, if you read what he's said, he's imagining a government conspiracy that required more than one shooter. That's hardly compatible with what he says here.

On the other hand, maybe you have learned by now to not take him seriously on anything he says? I know you expressed that you were there a couple of days ago, but you may have excused him now for the sake of having somebody to bounce your dogma off.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
To begin with burnsred, you need to know that Jeff is contructing a different scenario here to suit the topic. He doesn't think there was just one shooter and he doesn't think one shooter's drug problem was the reason for the shooting.
Ok, but I do and Jeff's his own man.

Every mass shooting in the U.S. has had as an impetus either drugs, gang fighting or radical Islam.  The only thing that is new is that gangs now have repeating firearms instead of switchblades, zip guns, shoe razors and baseball bats.  So if we do try gun control, we should enact strict gun laws in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and other gang-ridden cities.  Then we'll see if the gang members carefully follow those laws.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 1:23pm:
Ok, but I do and Jeff's his own man.

Every mass shooting in the U.S. has had as an impetus either drugs, gang fighting or radical Islam.  The only thing that is new is that gangs now have repeating firearms instead of switchblades, zip guns, shoe razors and baseball bats.  So if we do try gun control, we should enact strict gun laws in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and other gang-ridden cities.  Then we'll see if the gang members carefully follow those laws.

I couldn't agree more! Enact strict gun laws and then find out if they work.

My only hesitation to you doing that is that you can't construct borders too because that isn't practical. Guns are already there and if they aren't there then there is nothing that is going to stop the flow of guns in and out of the control areas of the experiment. Too bad, but your idea isn't workable or practical.

Were you serious about doing that?

BUT WAIT! (buy now and I'll double the offer)

Borders already exist! And on one side of the border there is not gun massacre going on, while on the other side there is!

Can we see some hope coming out of your recommendation? How can a border that is for the most part no more than an imaginary line or a 4 foot fence make so much difference?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 1:23pm:
So if we do try gun control, we should enact strict gun laws in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and other gang-ridden cities.  Then we'll see if the gang members carefully follow those laws.

Well said!   Predictably, your sarcasm went right over Don_G's head.   Grin

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
I couldn't agree more! Enact strict gun laws and then find out if they work.

My only hesitation to you doing that is that you can't construct borders too because that isn't practical. Guns are already there and if they aren't there then there is nothing that is going to stop the flow of guns in and out of the control areas of the experiment. Too bad, but your idea isn't workable or practical.

Were you serious about doing that?

BUT WAIT! (buy now and I'll double the offer)

Borders already exist! And on one side of the border there is not gun massacre going on, while on the other side there is!

Can we see some hope coming out of your recommendation? How can a border that is for the most part no more than an imaginary line or a 4 foot fence make so much difference?

To which border do you refer, sir?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:26pm:

Don't try being coquettish with me sir. Either dismiss the argument based on facts or STFU. It doesn't matter to me you know!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Don't try being coquettish with me sir. Either dismiss the argument based on facts or STFU. It doesn't matter to me you know!
I'll have to dismiss that "border" argument since I don't know which border you mean. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:57pm:
Here's an article that links to FBI statistics on mass shootings. I would have put it on your "A Mass Shooting Everyday" thread, but you seem to have abandoned that...

http://reason.com/archives/2017/11/11/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about?utm_medium=...

Since you won't want to read it, there were fewer than 90 "mass shootings" (most of them with just 4 people shot) in the last 30 years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarianism and Mental Illness
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy