Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How do the Libertarians here Feel about Conscription?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How do the Libertarians here Feel about Conscription? (Read 327 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

How do the Libertarians here Feel about Conscription?
Nov 9th, 2017 at 7:53am
Print Post  
One month ago, I would have never thought to ask that question for fear of being flamed into oblivion for asking such an obvious queston.  Now I wonder.

Is it safe to assume that each and every poster who calls themselves a libertarian is unalterably opposed to a draft no matter what the circumstances?  That there is no situation in which conscripting people into military service is acceptable, be it historical or hypothetical?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How do the Libertarians here Feel about Conscription?
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I think military service good could be a requirement for full citizenship so long as the  residents can choose not to be full citizens.  The lower class citizens would get all the rights but not all of the privileges and duties of full citizens.  Something like the system of starship troopers would be acceptable to me.

Other than that, its slavery. 
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:57am by ahhell »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:55am
Print Post  
red, Do you in fact know nothing at all about libertarians in general?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:55am:
I suspect he's trying to weed out peudolibertarians.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  

Quote:

I knew it!

I can tell by that answer that you do believe in conscription.  So it is not I who fails to understand libertarianism.

Or maybe you do understand libertarianism, which is why you won't give a straight answer to that simple question about enslaving people into military service.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:59am:
I knew it!

I can tell by that answer that you do believe in conscription.  So it is not I who fails to understand libertarianism.

Or maybe you do understand libertarianism, which is why you won't give a straight answer to that simple question about enslaving people into military service.

It's seems to be very elementary doesn't it. Of course a libertarian can't be supportive of conscription.

Are you clearly interpreting their answers as 'yes' they do favour it?

If so then you are indeed starting from a point less than zero from which to debate. I feel the same way but on some different issues.

They're all batshit crazy in their own ways, except maybe ahhell. Then on the other hand, maybe I haven't figured out his crazy yet?

You? I think  you're just extremist right. As you probably see me as extremist left. At least we start at zero!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Are you clearly interpreting their answers as 'yes' they do favour it?
Not ahhell's.  His answer isn't a call for slavery but for a requirement to earn the franchise.  With a lot of qualification, I'd be on board for that also, but that's another thread.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:45pm:
Not ahhell's.  His answer isn't a call for slavery but for a requirement to earn the franchise.  With a lot of qualification, I'd be on board for that also, but that's another thread.

He seems to be thinking of some people not being full citizens and that's a non-starter for me. Therefore I interpret it as a 'yes'.  Don't you?

I wouldn't worry about mixing up topics. Every thread is thoroughly fu-ked up already.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that there's no libertarian principle that can be held up as sacred. It's all bullshit unless one starts with libertarianism as a realistic premise to begin with.

Are you finding that out yet or is it too early for you to write it off?

Personally, I'm having trouble getting to point zero before I can introduce something that 'will' work. Disagreements on what it will be, aside.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 1:55pm:
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that there's no libertarian principle that can be held up as sacred. It's all bullshit unless one starts with libertarianism as a realistic premise to begin with.

Here's one for you:   SELF OWNERSHIP.  This is the cornerstone for all libertarian principles. 

It means each individual has sovereignty over him/herself.  It means that each individual has natural rights that cannot be granted or revoked by Government.

If a government forces someone to serve in the military, it is a form of servitude, and anti-libertarian.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 10:59am:
I knew it!

I can tell by that answer that you do believe in conscription.
Your powers of deduction are amazing! Amazingly flawed. Almost all libertarians/classical liberals think conscription is absolutely wrong, including me.

I do not however believe in one issue litmus tests for libertarians. If you otherwise agree with libertarian principles and policies but believe that in certain existential situations conscription might be necessary to preserve liberty, I will not call you a pseudo-libertarian.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How do the Libertarians here Feel about Conscription?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy