Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tax Advocates: Would You Personally Aim a Gun at Your Neighbor . . .
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tax Advocates: Would You Personally Aim a Gun at Your Neighbor . . . (Read 368 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Tax Advocates: Would You Personally Aim a Gun at Your Neighbor . . .
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
And then the monkey boy starts off as saying it was Obama's private army. But burnsred isn't supposed to start off with the pointed guns!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:33pm:
And then the monkey boy starts off as saying it was Obama's private army. But burnsred isn't supposed to start off with the pointed guns!

Try to read more carefully Donat dear, it would be more correct to say I ended up talking about Obama's private army- but I didn't mention any President by name, and Obama isn't President any more... Haven't you heard?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Jeff or Don Wrote:

Quote:
I think my advocating of the use of force it fulfilling your requirement. It's not rational to expect me or Jeff to use force.

Jeff or Don Wrote:

Quote:
Oh. Would I work for the IRS? No. Not even as a consultant.

So I am correct in that you advocate force to provide weatlh for the government but feel the hands on use of it is somehow beneath you?

Doesn't matter if the guns only come out occasionally.  The occasional uses reinforce the truth that guns are always part of the equation when dealing with the tax man.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
Jeff or Don Wrote:

Jeff or Don Wrote:

So I am correct in that you advocate force to provide weatlh for the government but feel the hands on use of it is somehow beneath you?

It's not the way I would stated it but It's pretty well true. Advocating the use of force is equivalent to using it. There's no way I would want to hedge on not accepting that responsibility.

[quote]Doesn't matter if the guns only come out occasionally.  The occasional uses reinforce the truth that guns are always part of the equation when dealing with the tax man.

I would say it makes a lot of difference if guns are very, very seldom used to collect taxes. So no, guns are not always part of the equation. There may have been a few instances out of millions of instances of tax evasion where guns were used as the last resort.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
I would say it makes a lot of difference if guns are very, very seldom used to collect taxes. So no, guns are not always part of the equation. There may have been a few instances out of millions of instances of tax evasion where guns were used as the last resort.

But they are always there.  The logical end of refusing to pay taxes even after negotiations and compromise and waiting will always be the use of physical force which in the U.S. is backed up by gunsels.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 2:52pm:
But they are always there.  The logical end of refusing to pay taxes even after negotiations and compromise and waiting will always be the use of physical force which in the U.S. is backed up by gunsels.

Yes, and in the very few extreme cases, guns would be the last resort in Canada too I guess. I don't know if it ever has gone that far in Canada but it could have. I think I would say that probably handcuffs would have done the trick.

But then to your point, what does it matter if it's a gun, handcuffs, a knife, or a punch in the mouth? It's all resorting to force to collect back taxes.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But then to your point, what does it matter if it's a gun, handcuffs, a knife, or a punch in the mouth? It's all resorting to force to collect back taxes.
Very correct.  So I guess the Canadian version of my question would be, "are you willing to personally bash your neighbor's head like a baby seal's in order to collect taxes that the government needs for its worthy causes, eh?"

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Would the answer about how much force you would personally apply for tax collection depend on what the taxes are for?  Like would you point a gun at your neighbor to force him to fund an Army to point guns at our enemies in Niger?  Would you smash your neighbors windows in the middle of the night and take his big screen to pay for midnight basketball to keep young thugs off the street so we are safe in our homes?  Would you bash your neighbor's head in to collect taxes to build a new prison in which to put people who bash people's hea . . . ok, bad example maybe.

Suppose the tax was to be set aside for something you absolutely opposed.*  Would you still be willing to lead a SWAT style raid to enforce the general principle that when the G says 'payup' you pay up?

*I tried to think of an example of a government program that I could be sure the libertarians on here would oppose but none came to mind.

IP Logged

Bickeran
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 9:42am:
Tax Advocates: Would You Personally Aim a Gun at Your Neighbor . . . in order to force you neighbor to pay a tax as long as the money is intended for whatever good purpose the tax was levied for?

statist would not cause they dont know it

make them know it up close and they will do

say mom next door has a baby dyin and needs $1B to save, they got lots of money from charity but not enough, also next door lives rich guy with enough money, statist will point a gun then

they not inconsistent they just dumb

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:05pm:
Would the answer about how much force you would personally apply for tax collection depend on what the taxes are for?  Like would you point a gun at your neighbor to force him to fund an Army to point guns at our enemies in Niger?  Would you smash your neighbors windows in the middle of the night and take his big screen to pay for midnight basketball to keep young thugs off the street so we are safe in our homes?  Would you bash your neighbor's head in to collect taxes to build a new prison in which to put people who bash people's hea . . . ok, bad example maybe.

Suppose the tax was to be set aside for something you absolutely opposed.*  Would you still be willing to lead a SWAT style raid to enforce the general principle that when the G says 'payup' you pay up?

*I tried to think of an example of a government program that I could be sure the libertarians on here would oppose but none came to mind.

If I want the benefits of the community, the society, the government, that system, in which I live and benefit from then I have to be agreeable to living within the law. So that should answer your question for all you examples.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't use all the legal force I could apply to change it if it was egregious enough. The main poin I would like to make brunsred: In my country it's not extreme examples such as you are imagining.

I'm certainly not going to withhold paying my taxes to protest the military. I may resort to other legal pressures I can apply?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tax Advocates: Would You Personally Aim a Gun at Your Neighbor . . .
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy