Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Tax Advocates: Would You also Advocate a Corvée?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Libertarian Tax Advocates: Would You also Advocate a Corvée? (Read 105 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Tax Advocates: Would You also Advocate a Corvée?
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 11:26am:
Doesn't that depend on what government and what government project you are talking about?

States have extremely broad authority to engage in all sorts of projects.  Constitutionally, they can do anything that the constitution does not forbid them to do.  I support the right of states to choose which projects they think they ought to engage in.  Experiments in democracy and all that. 

Anyrate, back to the question.  With the caveat that it is currently unconstitutional, I would feel the same about a corvee as I do the draft.  I support making full citizenship a choice and imposing responsibilities and duties upon those that choose to be full citizens that they would not otherwise be required to do.  So, a corvee could be part of that. 

With out a choice though, it is immoral, a form of slavery and yes slavery is more immoral than theft so a corvee is worse than a tax.

Just elect yourselves a government that has an interest in giving the average citizen an even chance and you will have solved your tax woes.

That's likely going to be an Independent who tries it outside the Dem party the next time. He/she will be leftist thinking but will have to be cautious of never saying he/she is.

Trump's tax plan, if it ever becomes reality will have had time to sink in to the middle class's minds and they are going to be even more pissed off than they were the last time.

The transition to something more sensible will be easier for the pseudo-libertarians.

A leader? How about somebody like Flake, who has had a stomach full of the R party? Elizabeth Warren who can no longer be a phony Dem?

First priority: Must be better looking than the best opponent.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 11:26am:
Doesn't that depend on what government and what government project you are talking about?
Not really.

In America, governments have granted powers and assigned duties.

All of the government "projects" I know of are extra-constitutional... and failures.

Can you think of one that isn't?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:24pm:
Not really.

In America, governments have granted powers and assigned duties.

All of the government "projects" I know of are extra-constitutional... and failures.

Can you think of one that isn't?

What do you make of the 10th amendment?

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Other than that, the constitution gaurantees republican government to the States but is pretty much silent otherwise.  States constitutions may further limit the authority of the state government but they are largely free to build what ever they hell they want as a State project. 

As for examples, must sewer system in the US are government projects and with rare and notable exception we do not often die of waterborne illness anymore.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:41pm:
What do you make of the 10th amendment?

It's a mistake, like the entire Bill of Rights. I've said that. The anti-federalists were right on that issue. That's my conclusion.

Why do you think the 10th Amendment is needed?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:41pm:
States constitutions may further limit the authority of the state government but they are largely free to build what ever they hell they want as a State project. 
State Constitutions grant enumerated powers  and specified duties to state governments.

Which state Constitution were you thinking of that grants state government the power to do "whatever the hell they want"?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 4:50pm:
State Constitutions grant enumerated powers  and specified duties to state governments.

Which state Constitution were you thinking of that grants state government the power to do "whatever the hell they want"?

The federal constitution does except as later amended.

I wont' pretend to know what all 50 states constitutions grant in terms of State government authority, I have little doubt that some clearly grant authority for all sorts of projects that are prohibited to the feds though.  CAs grants the State broad authority over education for instance.  The UC system is one such state government project that is entirely legal and constitutional.  And generally successful. 

I agree by the way, the 10th amendment should have been unnecessary, the broad authority of State governments was inherent in the system.   

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
The federal constitution does except as later amended.

Does what? Did what? How did it change? Who changed it? Why?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
I wont' pretend to know what all 50 states constitutions grant in terms of State government authority...   
But you did pretend...

You pretended state governments were authorized to do "whatever the hell they wanted"...

That means I can call you a lying sack of shit with legal impunity! Cool!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Tax Advocates: Would You also Advocate a Corvée?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy