Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What motivates a person to be a libertarian?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What motivates a person to be a libertarian? (Read 26 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

What motivates a person to be a libertarian?
Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
To kick it off, I'll suggest that it runs no deeper than personal greed. I think it's become a catchall party for people who have been cheated out of a piece of the pie. Is there something else? Some higher ideal? Or is that just sufficient reason for anybody to choose any party's politics?

My motivation in a nutshell and very briefly, is to save the world from the two major US parties who are both intent on war. Probably world war.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What motivates a person to be a libertarian?
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
To kick it off, I'll suggest that it runs no deeper than personal greed.

For some, I'm sure that's true, just like the welfare parasite becomes a Democrat or redistributionist out of personal greed.

Anyone is a hypocrite and a liar who doesn't admit that most people in any political philosophy are there because those policies bring them the best benefit.

Don_G wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
Is there something else? Some higher ideal?

Yes. Only libertarianism offers a consistent moral philosophy. It's harsh, but simply apply rights and there is one correct answer for every situation.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What motivates a person to be a libertarian?
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 2:43am:
Yes. Only libertarianism offers a consistent moral philosophy. It's harsh, but simply apply rights and there is one correct answer for every situation.
There's nothing "harsh" about libertarian philosophy, and it won't provide a "correct" answer for every situation. Individual rights come with the obligation to respect the rights of others, and it's not always clear who should prevail, which is why people are often before the courts arguing about it.

You think the philosophy is "harsh" because it allows greedy acquisitive people to keep what the earn for themselves? I think it's beautiful because it allows generous caring people to give what they have earned to people or organizations they think are deserving.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What motivates a person to be a libertarian?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy