Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Single Tax is the Only Non-theft Tax
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Single Tax is the Only Non-theft Tax (Read 377 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Single Tax is the Only Non-theft Tax
Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
In any case, 10% has never been shown to be enough
Are you kidding?  It was much more than enough for the first 130 years or so of the existence of the U.S. government.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:24am:
Which fits in completely with my assertion that ownership of land is an artificial construct of government.

Sorry, no. People claimed ownership of land before there were governments. The land I own I bought from a private party who owned it before I did. The only involvement of government was to register the transfer of ownership from him to me.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
Are you kidding?  It was much more than enough for the first 130 years or so of the existence of the U.S. government.

It would be interesting to have a close look at taxation before the industrial revolution, if only for a point in time as a reference. I think it would indicate much lower taxation all round in the US, on all levels of taxation.

But it's hardly going to be indicative of the present. So I'm not going to accept 10% on the Laffer curve as your point A. What may have sufficed in 1800 is not going to work in the 21st. century. Can you up your ante a bit. I'll bring mine down to less than85% on good faith. And of course I'll give valid reason for doing so, based on what works in the Scandinavian countries.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:24am:
No, because Marx advocated that the community (government) "take back" the land since land ownership is a sham.
So "the community" owns the land and grants use of it to some people under Marxism, while "the community" grants them ownership according to George.
Both theories operate under the assumption that "the community" is the owner, whether current or original... Who cares? Neither in my opinion reflect any reality.

I don't have any problem with an apportioned tax on land, but without changing the Constitution, we will also still have taxes on incomes and import duties and such like, which we can only hope will be uniform.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the distraction burnsred, I'll continue with you after it's lost interest.

Or is drunk and drugged up, whatever comes first. There's no sense in two discussions in one.

Monkey boy, be still.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:21pm:
Sorry for the distraction burnsred, I'll continue with you after it's lost interest.

Or is drunk and drugged up, whatever comes first. There's no sense in two discussions in one.

Monkey boy, be still.
I think an apportioned tax on the value of land is a fine idea. It would be easy to levy. Congress could determine how much money it needed (a budget... Can Congress still do that?) and then they could figure the total value of all privately owned land in America (And Puerto Rico?) and divide. All that would be left to do would be to send out bills.

Some people, those who could afford to, would challenge the valuation of their property in court and get a break, and maybe some rich and powerful people would pay off (or threaten?) the valuators to get a break for themselves... But otherwise it would be perfectly fair.

Of course people who refused to pay would be subjected to government force, so it's still theft.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What may have sufficed in 1800 is not going to work in the 21st. century.
Why not?  Ten percent of work product from before the industrial revolution is a lot less than ten percent of work product after the industrial revolution.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:08pm:
Why not?  Ten percent of work product from before the industrial revolution is a lot less than ten percent of work product after the industrial revolution.

You see burnsred, if you read what the monkey boy says then you'll get an indication of how it works. First he says that government decides on what they need. The he says that those who could afford to fight it in court would get money off. And that then is transferred to the ones who can't afford to fight it.

Besides rich and powerful people paying off the valuators which puts more burden on the poorer people.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:08pm:
Donat is being unfair. An apportioned tax on the value of land won't be perfect, but it will be better that the insane mish-mash of our current tax system.

Anyway, since you are advocating for it red, shouldn't you do some homework? How many landowners are their in the U.S.? What's the total current value of all the privately owned land in the U.S.? Without knowing that, we can't get a sense of how much we will have to pay. I own ten acres of old farmland valued by my county at right around $100,000... What will my share of three trillion be?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:31pm:
You see burnsred, if you read what the monkey boy says then you'll get an indication of how it works. First he says that government decides on what they need. The he says that those who could afford to fight it in court would get money off. And that then is transferred to the ones who can't afford to fight it.
If you have such contempt for him, why use him as an authority?

Quote:
Besides rich and powerful people paying off the valuators which puts more burden on the poorer people.
Well of course they would!  They do that under any tax system.  All the more reason to keep taxes and government power to a bare minimum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Single Tax is the Only Non-theft Tax
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy