Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does Every Libertarian Agree that Discrimination Should Not be Banned?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does Every Libertarian Agree that Discrimination Should Not be Banned? (Read 273 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Does Every Libertarian Agree that Discrimination Should Not be Banned?
Reply #20 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 7:50pm:
What parts of the Constitution are you referring to? I can't find them. Nor can I find any power granted to Congress that would allow passage of such laws.

It's right here:

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

. . .

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:41am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 10:41pm:
Not asking whether you are comfortable with discrimination.  No logical person is comfortable with the idea of treating individuals differently because of their race or other factors not related to merit. 

I'm not sure that's true. Every male human treats female humans solely based on their appearance, whether on the job or in clubs.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:52am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 8:13pm:
It's right here:

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

. . .

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Right, that's what I said, it's a prohibition against the states.

Read carefully. "No state shall..." "Nor shall any state..."

Are you a state? I'm not.

In fact, reading this amendment as an application of police power to individuals makes the Constitution incoherent. Police powers are reserved to the states, being powers not granted to the national government. It is therefore clear that reading the 14th Amendment as a grant of police power to the national government is in opposition to the 10th Amendment, which already reserves police powers to the states.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:41am:
I'm not sure that's true. Every male human treats female humans solely based on their appearance, whether on the job or in clubs.

As I've told you burnsred, it's an opposite reaction to racism and an attempt to level the playing field. So many do believe that it's necessary. The racism has to first be dealt with and then the positive discrimination that gives some people a leg up won't be necessary.

I can speak from authority on that, we don't have the problem in Canada to anywhere the same degree.

It's just a matter of applying the law in an equitable way in Canada. If there are problems then they will have arisen from failure to do just that.

One of your country's biggest problems is racism. I think it can be traced right back to that for the reason why even your supreme court is corrupt. It's the south against the north isn't it!

IP Logged

thermf5
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
That constitution just can't be applicable in an atmosphere of racism. The racism has to be eliminated first.

And for that matter your 2nd. amendment can't be applicable either in a country gone berserk with guns that are meant as weapons of war for killing human beings.

the 2ed amendment was put there to be a there by the government so that the people can defend them selfs from the government and if u think the usa has a gun problem then u have never seen the Philippines and it mexico olny cops can ligle arm them selfs but criminals still get guns and in china there are mass stabers geting rid of guns wont fix the problem geting the goverment and the apa out of mental health care will for f sake am i the olny person on the left that is progun

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:41am:

i think u mean heterosexual or bi  non pansexual male

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:54pm:
the 2ed amendment was put there to be a there by the government so that the people can defend them selfs from the government...

Absolutely right.  You'd be surprised to learn how few people actually understand this!

thermf5 wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:54pm:
...am i the olny person on the left that is progun

No.  "Uncle" Joe Biden is pro gun.  But only double-barreled shotguns.  He reccommends "go out on the balcony and fire two blasts into the air" to scare off an intruder.  LOL!!!   Grin   Grin

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:05pm:
Absolutely right.  You'd be surprised to learn how few people actually understand this!

No.  "Uncle" Joe Biden is pro gun.  But only double-barreled shotguns.  He reccommends "go out on the balcony and fire two blasts into the air" to scare off an intruder.  LOL!!!   Grin   Grin

thank for the lol i would say one shot in the air from a 6 shell tactical shotgun then if thay still try to rob u shot on sight and if there allready in the house just kill them joe was right abought one thing shot guns are eazyer to use then an ar-15

IP Logged

Bickeran
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
here is the truth, in an actual libertarian world discrimination should not be banned

in this world it should be cause whites have too much artificail power they would not have in a libertarian world

they are last on everything and you know this cause they complain about immigrants, if they could compete they have no reason to complain

everything any white person has is by institutional racism, no whitey would get a job otherwise, they are last on everything in ability and they know it

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Bickeran wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 3:26pm:
here is the truth, in an actual libertarian world discrimination should not be banned
You would allow governments to pass laws discriminating against people based on religion, political beliefs, skin color, sexual proclivities etc.?

I like our idea in America where governments are forbidden to pass such laws.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does Every Libertarian Agree that Discrimination Should Not be Banned?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy