Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Canada's Population is less than 3% Black
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why Canada's Population is less than 3% Black (Read 59 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Why Canada's Population is less than 3% Black
Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
It ain't no accident, folks:

In the early twentieth century, the Canadian government had an unofficial policy of restricting immigration by black people . The huge influx of immigrants from Europe and the United States in the period before World War I included few black people , as most immigrants were coming from eastern and southern Europe. Clifford Sifton's 1910 immigration campaign had not anticipated that black Oklahomans and other black farmers from the Southern US would apply to homestead in Amber Valley, Alberta and other parts of Canada.

But Canada acted to restrict immigration by black persons. This policy was formalised in 1911 by Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier:

"His excellency in Council, in virtue of the provisions of Sub-section (c) of Section 38 of the Immigration Act, is pleased to Order and it is hereby Ordered as follows: For a period of one year from and after the date hereof the landing in Canada shall be and the same is prohibited of any immigrants belonging to the Negro race, which race is deemed unsuitable to the climate and requirements of Canada."[27]

I don't know why that article calls Canada's policy "unofficial."  Seems pretty cut and dried to me.  Heartbreaking, really.  I can't imagine what it is like to be a black child in Canada and know how fellow Canadians feel about you just because of the color of our skin.

Anyone know if they ever lifted their restrictions on "the Negro race?"

IP Logged

thermf5
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why Canada's Population is less than 3% Black
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:47pm:

In the early twentieth century, the Canadian government had an unofficial policy of restricting immigration by black people . The huge influx of immigrants from Europe and the United States in the period before World War I included few black people , as most immigrants were coming from eastern and southern Europe. Clifford Sifton's 1910 immigration campaign had not anticipated that black Oklahomans and other black farmers from the Southern US would apply to homestead in Amber Valley, Alberta and other parts of Canada.

But Canada acted to restrict immigration by black persons. This policy was formalised in 1911 by Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier:

"His excellency in Council, in virtue of the provisions of Sub-section (c) of Section 38 of the Immigration Act, is pleased to Order and it is hereby Ordered as follows: For a period of one year from and after the date hereof the landing in Canada shall be and the same is prohibited of any immigrants belonging to the Negro race, which race is deemed unsuitable to the climate and requirements of Canada."[27]

I don't know why that article calls Canada's policy "unofficial."  Seems pretty cut and dried to me.  Heartbreaking, really.  I can't imagine what it is like to be a black child in Canada and know how fellow Canadians feel about you just because of the color of our skin.

u know that treat natives worse but canda is a racist country it tock the cival rights movement to change a simular policy in the states

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:47pm:

I would be interesting to know why it was unofficial. As to our policy and racism in Canada against black people, I think it would be best if you found the answers yourself.

I would just say that as far as I know, there is none. At least I haven't experienced it, other than some comments by Americans in Canada.

let me know what you find out?

I hope you're not suggesting that the US was inviting black immigrants during that period of time and before? Would bringing slaves to the US count as immigration?

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 11:58am:
I would be interesting to know why it was unofficial. As to our policy and racism in Canada against black people, I think it would be best if you found the answers yourself.
How would I find out if not by asking?

Quote:
I would just say that as far as I know, there is none. At least I haven't experienced it, other than some comments by Americans in Canada.
Well, yeah.  YOU don't experience it because you're not black.  With less than three percent of your population being black, I doubt you even see a black person very often.

Quote:
I hope you're not suggesting that the US was inviting black immigrants during that period of time and before? Would bringing slaves to the US count as immigration?
No, but we have encouraged many black people from Africa and the Caribbean to immigrate and of course there is no restriction on black people from U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands entering all parts of their United States. 

Horrible as our slave trade was, at least it showed that Americans never had the visceral anti-black hatred displayed by Canada.  Yes, we forced them onto boats to be slaves, but the U.S. Navy did that to Americans who were white during times of impressment also.  We also tax them about half of what they earn just like we do white folks.  So there has never been the kind of fear of black skin that Canadians apparently have.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 12:16pm:
How would I find out if not by asking?

You have the same resources I have.

Quote:
Well, yeah.  YOU don't experience it because you're not black.  With less than three percent of your population being black, I doubt you even see a black person very often.

That's true. If I walk through a mall in my city I might see a black person. I'll likely see quite a few asians. Excellent immigrants!

Quote:
No, but we have encouraged many black people from Africa and the Caribbean to immigrate and of course there is no restriction on black people from U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands entering all parts of their United States.

LIkewise, I know of no restrictions in Canada. 

Quote:
Horrible as our slave trade was, at least it showed that Americans never had the visceral anti-black hatred displayed by Canada.

I'm not aware of that visceral hate that could be seen as a distinction between our countries. I know we rescued a lot of black people in the Eastern provinces who were escaping the US slave trade.

Quote:
  Yes, we forced them onto boats to be slaves, but the U.S. Navy did that to Americans who were white during times of impressment also.  We also tax them about half of what they earn just like we do white folks.  So there has never been the kind of fear of black skin that Canadians apparently have.

That sounds much like a justification of your country's slavery by making a comparison to treatment of white people. Why would you want to do that to provide justification.

I don't know of any Canadian fear of black skin but you could provide some reference to where you're getting your information.

I'm not in the business of denial burnsred.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 12:29pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:24pm:
u know that treat natives worse but canda is a racist country it tock the cival rights movement to change a simular policy in the states
Indians in America are free to become citizens if they want to. People go to Cherokee to gamble and dance and have fun. I've not seen prejudice against Indians there.

I have heard people in Western New York say most of the Indians still around there are often useless and lazy and drunks and petty criminals and drug dealers and users who have never worked a day in their lives.

That might indicate prejudice. I've known a few individual Indians and half-breeds and such, but I've never lived among them.

Would I not hire the Chief just because he wore his Eagle feather headdress to the job interview? No, I wouldn't judge him just on that.

I still might not hire him, because I did hear from Din_g Don_g that the Chief is an asshole.

Donat is singing that "Everybody sucks but me" ditty right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Canada's Population is less than 3% Black
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy