Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › individual responsibility how do u teach it
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) individual responsibility how do u teach it (Read 626 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: individual responsibility how do u teach it
Reply #30 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
Jeff agrees with Hillary - I don't.  So what.  That doesn't mean that Hillary is right.

Adjust your attitude. You're clearly wrong, no matter what jeff says. This in not what Hillary said, it's what normal people say ans support. And it's nothing to do with the way you raise your children either.

You're just plain wrong and this is a good issue on which to have that demonstrated to you.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 1:49pm:
We have children. 

I never had any problem with my kids interacting with other people. I've had a lot of problems with people imparting their morals on my kids, though. 

My daughter's childhood friend asked her to attend church with them. My daughter asked for our permission to go with them, and I said no because we felt she was too young to be exposed to organized religion.
You were trying to impose your morals on your daughter from an early age. When children are interested in something is the time to talk to them about it.

What did you tell your daughter about why she wouldn't be allowed to go to Church with her friends? Simply "No, you are too young"?

How old was she?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
At what age should a child be encouraged to believe in God(s)?

How would you go about encouraging such belief? Insist they memorize catechisms and litany's and dogma? Memorize verses from the Bible? That has driven lots of people away from churches.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
Jeff agrees with Hillary...
We may agree that raising civilized children takes more than just parents, or more than just teachers, but my village is a voluntary community, and Hillary's I fear is a creation of her theory of state power.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:10pm:
We may agree that raising civilized children takes more than just parents, or more than just teachers, but my village is a voluntary community, and Hillary's I fear is a creation of her theory of state power.

jeff just cuz u belive ing some lets use god as an exzample dose not mean u belive in the same thing the state dose a harble job razeing childeren and rehabutians  conveted people there are just some things the government is  bad at

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:05pm:
You were trying to impose your morals on your daughter from an early age.

Exactly. That's the job of a parent - teach their children about morals.

Quote:
What did you tell your daughter about why she wouldn't be allowed to go to Church with her friends? Simply "No, you are too young"?

It was a very long time ago - I don't recall the exact words.  I simply explained to her she was too young to be exposed to organized religion.  She understood, and didn't question it or complain.   It was her friend's mother who complained.

Quote:
How old was she?

Irrelevant.  She was a minor and under our care.  When she turned 18 and no longer under our care, she was free to attend any place of worship she desired.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:07pm:

It was a very long time ago - I don't recall the exact words.  I simply explained to her she was too young to be exposed to organized religion.  She understood, and didn't question it or complain.   It was her friend's mother who complained.

Well chief, you remembered remarkable well after all.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:07pm:

Irrelevant.  She was a minor and under our care.  When she turned 18 and no longer under our care, she was free to attend any place of worship she desired.
So you fulfilled your responsibility to teach her about morals by forbidding her from learning about any theory of morality except yours. I call that trying to impose your morality on her. How is that different from parents who force their children to attend church until they are 18?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:07pm:
So you fulfilled your responsibility to teach her about morals by forbidding her from learning about any theory of morality except yours. I call that trying to impose your morality on her. How is that different from parents who force their children to attend church until they are 18?

Who really cares about the religious fantasies bullshit jeff. The best part is how the chief started out saying it was a long time ago and he didn't remember.

Then he distinctly remembered it word for word. The luxury of a forum is that you get to correct your embarrassing shit before you post it. The Chief hasn't grasped that concept yet.

It's like the strata committee not letting him have a parking space and then folding his tent on the whole invented story.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:07pm:

It's very different.  I consider it cruelty and abuse to force a child to be exposed to all the b.s. fantasy that comes from (all organized) religion. But I admit that it's a parent's right to do that.

We shielded our children from organized religion in the same way we prevented them from seeing X (and some R) rated movies and listening to Cop-Killer rap music.  It was our duty as responsible parents. 

We had always taught critical thinking in our home.  Critical thinking and belief in gods don't mix. There's really no way to sugar-coat that. I figured that our daughter would reject all of the silly religious clap-trap.  As it turns out, I was right.  She's now an adult, has her own chldren, and is still a non-believer.  Not because we forced her to be.  Because we taught her to use critical thinking and she made her own decision about gods and religion when she was emotionally mature enough to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › individual responsibility how do u teach it
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy