Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Hawaii Bans Guns To All Medical Cannabis Patients
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hawaii Bans Guns To All Medical Cannabis Patients (Read 127 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Hawaii Bans Guns To All Medical Cannabis Patients
Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
The Honolulu Police Department is ordering legal cannabis patients to “voluntarily surrender” any guns they own because pot is still considered an illegal drug under federal law.

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” Honolulu police Chief Susan Ballard wrote in a Nov. 13 letter to one medical marijuana card holder. “If you currently own or have any firearms, you have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender your firearms, permit and ammunition to the Honolulu Police Department or otherwise transfer ownership.”

https://www.policeone.com/gun-legislation-law-enforcement/articles/463173006-Haw...

The slippery-slope of gun confiscation begins.  This is what happens when government policy trumps constitutional rights of the citizens.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Hawaii Bans Guns To All Medical Cannabis Patients
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
The government of Hawaii is at least as bad as rule by Jerry Brown...

You can't expect them to be rational or willing to be swayed by evidence... What's reality to people nicknamed "Moonbeam" anyway?

Edit:If the government of Hawaii has conceded to be subordinate to the "federal" government, the people of Hawaii are well and truly crappity smacked.

I can't see how I can help them.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:16pm:
The Honolulu Police Department is ordering legal cannabis patients to “voluntarily surrender” any guns they own because pot is still considered an illegal drug under federal law.

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” Honolulu police Chief Susan Ballard wrote in a Nov. 13 letter to one medical marijuana card holder. “If you currently own or have any firearms, you have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender your firearms, permit and ammunition to the Honolulu Police Department or otherwise transfer ownership.”

https://www.policeone.com/gun-legislation-law-enforcement/articles/463173006-Haw...

The slippery-slope of gun confiscation begins.  This is what happens when government policy trumps constitutional rights of the citizens.

Excellent. It's a beginning of giving back the people their freedom they lost  when the gun slaughter rose to epidemic proportions.

No doubt in all the other states the government is going to come in the night and take away 'all' your guns. It's the slippery slope that begins at midnight! Owooooooooooo-----

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:31pm:
Excellent. It's a beginning of giving back the people their freedom they lost  when the gun slaughter rose to epidemic proportions.

And in the midst of this slaughter, you want to disarm law abiding people? Why?

Have you talked this over with the poor law abiding people of Baltimore or Chicago?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:01pm:
And in the midst of this slaughter, you want to disarm law abiding people? Why?

You must first ask the question on how much I'm being paid to post here. I promise I will answer. Then you can ask other questions and I promise I'll answer all of them. I'm always here for you to answer your questions. They're questions you obviously understand nobody else can answer because you keep asking me!

Please Jeff, just aks the question and get it over with forever.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:16pm:

This is big because it is rare for police to initiate what amounts to a new law.  It has also been relatively rare - despite the left's best efforts - for government to actually confiscate  existing weapons rather than to ban purchases by targeted individuals in the future.

At first I thought your post was going to be that the law in Hawaii would allow medical MJ but require users to turn in their guns.  I still wouldn't be surprised of a blue state did that.  That is why libertarians should avoid the whole "medical marijuana" debate like the plague.  Marijuana should be legal because its use requires no initiation of force.  Once legal, individuals - in whatever level of consultation with medical professionals they choose - can decide whether the benefits of marijuana are greater than its harm.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:31pm:
We lost freedom when idealists decided to rehabilitate criminals instead of punishing them.  As an ideal, it was well-founded.  In practice, the rehab doesn't work as the horrendous recidivism rates in all countries show.  Yes, some countries have better rates than others, but the "best" I've heard is 20%.  We absolutely lose freedom when we release rapists on our wives, daughters, mothers and sisters knowing that 20% of those released rapists will rape again and maybe kill this time to avoid going back to prison.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:14pm:
This is big because it is rare for police to initiate what amounts to a new law.
We can only hope they are punished for it. Severely. Immediately.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:17pm:
We lost freedom when idealists decided to rehabilitate criminals instead of punishing them. 
I don't see any connection.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:14pm:
This is big because it is rare for police to initiate what amounts to a new law.  It has also been relatively rare - despite the left's best efforts - for government to actually confiscate  existing weapons rather than to ban purchases by targeted individuals in the future.

It IS big.  It's unprecedented to my knowledge...

Quote:
At first I thought your post was going to be that the law in Hawaii would allow medical MJ but require users to turn in their guns.  I still wouldn't be surprised of a blue state did that. 

Actually, this what I gleaned from the article - Medical MJ dispensaries have opened up in Hawaii, and Medical use is now "legal", but the police are using the list of Medical MJ users to demand that these law-abiding citizens turn in thier guns.  It's outrageous that the courts allow this.

You can bet [CA Guv] "Moonbeam" Brown is paying close attention to this - he would absolutely love the opportunity do disarm the law-abiding citizens of California.

On the plus side, last November, California voters voted to decriminalize pot for recreational use [Prop 64], so we can toke to our heart's desire.  And we do!   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Hawaii Bans Guns To All Medical Cannabis Patients
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy