Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › California Egg Law Too Far-Reaching & "unConstitutional"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) California Egg Law Too Far-Reaching & "unConstitutional" (Read 256 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: California Egg Law Too Far-Reaching & "unConstitutional"
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:45pm:
I have said nothing about animal rights and don't intend to. I've voiced my opinion and I'm rather proud of it.

You really do have the wrong impression on Canadian bacon. If you want to save yourself some embarrassment, check out the fact that it's sold in packages that are identical to the US bacon.

But  burnsred, do we really care? We're adults and we joust with more adult methods than comparing fukking bacon!
http://greenfieldmeat.com/product-bacon-2/
you silly twaht twit!
You're so right!  Let's get back to discussing important issues like extra leg room for chickens!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
We don't have to slaughter animals for food.  We can be perfectly healthy eating a vegetarian diet.

I get very sick, actually. What I would like to do is minimise cruelty. I would like to maintain a small backyard flock, incubate the fertilised eggs, and occasionally butcher the extra roosters.

I can't do that, though. It's much less cruel to let the egg industry do what I showed in my previous post, and ban my ownership of a couple chickens. No rights are being violated when they ban me from having them, of course. What about bird flu? That's a risk to others.

I suspect rights are being violated if the government acts against a business, however. This would be the point of the thread.

Hmm. Convenient. Extremely libertarian.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:05pm:
I get very sick, actually. What I would like to do is minimise cruelty. I would like to maintain a small backyard flock, incubate the fertilised eggs, and occasionally butcher the extra roosters.

I can't do that, though. It's much less cruel to let the egg industry do what I showed in my previous post, and ban my ownership of a couple chickens. No rights are being violated when they ban me from having them, of course. What about bird flu? That's a risk to others.

I suspect rights are being violated if the government acts against a business, however. This would be the point of the thread.

Hmm. Convenient. Extremely libertarian.
Why can't you own a few chickens and roosters?  Do you live in a state that doesn't allow home farming? 

You know that roosters are pretty tough if you cook and eat them?  You almost have to make soup or stew out of them.  I suggest you keep only one rooster and make capons out of the other males. 

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm:
Why can't you own a few chickens and roosters?  Do you live in a state that doesn't allow home farming? 

I am allowed up to 10, but females only. Even if I were allowed a male, 10 is not a large enough genetic base for what I want to do. I want to make wheaten brahmas who lay turquoise eggs, have more conservative leg feathering, and willow shanks.

Dogs are allowed, and my neighbour's dog is this little shit dogs that literally never shuts up, but I can't have a male chicken because it's "noise pollution".

burnsred wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm:
You know that roosters are pretty tough if you cook and eat them?  You almost have to make soup or stew out of them.  I suggest you keep only one rooster and make capons out of the other males. 

I would rather eat the tough meat then reach inside the rooster, where his testes are, and cut them out. I actually know how to make a capon. I have done it once. If you do it wrong, and leave a testicle or piece thereof, especially the smaller one, it may mature into an ovary, just as when a female chicken's main ovary becomes damaged or destroyed, the remaining ovary may mature into a testicle. This effectively changes the sex of the chicken.

People also say you can't eat a bull, and must only eat the steers. I have eaten a steak from a bull. Less fatty.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
delete

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:48pm:
I am allowed up to 10, but females only.

Dogs are allowed, and my neighbour's dog is this little shit dogs that literally never shuts up, but I can't have a male chicken because it's "noise pollution".

I would rather eat the tough meat then reach inside the rooster, where his testes are, and cut them out. I actually know how to make a capon. I have done it once. If you do it wrong, and leave a testicle or piece thereof, especially the smaller one, it may mature into an ovary, just as when a female chicken's main ovary becomes damaged or destroyed, the remaining ovary may mature into a testicle. This effectively changes the sex of the chicken.

People also say you can't eat a bull, and must only eat the steers. I have eaten a steak from a bull. Less fatty.
Allowed by who?  Where did grown people actually pass a "ten chicken and no roosters" law?  Seriously, I recommend you move to a place with more freedom if you want to choose your own diet. 

I live in Texas, which I often think of as over-regulated and full of government corruption and out of control police but I forget how much better it is compared to other areas.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:52pm:
Allowed by who?  Where did grown people actually pass a "ten chicken and no roosters" law?  Seriously, I recommend you move to a place with more freedom if you want to choose your own diet. 

I may consider it just to get away from the potheads. I prefer to live somewhere drugs are illegal and chickens are legal.

But I'm not lying.
https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprings/hens-in-the-hood/Content?oid=1506867
Quote:
Plus, while places like Northglenn, Thornton and Westminster prohibit chickens, and others like Denver require permits, Colorado Springs allows up to 10 birds per property, all for free, as long as coops are kept clean. (Roosters, however, are prohibited due to noise concerns.)

Here's another interesting excerpt from that article. Even by pampering your biddies, as long as you don't go full-on moonbat and buy organic food, you are saving money over storebought eggs.

Quote:
Maybe instead, you use regular commercial feed for about $10 a bag. This feed doesn't contain hormones or other additives, but the ingredients aren't guaranteed organic. Now the recurring cost is down to about $100 a year to feed the five birds, and the value of the non-organic eggs you'll get — $2 a dozen at stores — amounts to $156. So you'll save about $56, but remember, coop costs will put you in a hole, at least for the first year or two.

So yes, the nasty battery farms really are doing it just to make massive profits, exactly as the news expo claims.

The free market forces them to do this, to compete. The good guy egg company who lets hens range and makes less profits, but still some, just as the article tells me I might do, can't compete with the battery cage cruelty farms on the free market.

I find it disgusting.

But if I could just have my own chickens I'd find it tolerable.

My ideal chicken has this colour, face, and shanks:

...but with the body of ones like these:

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:06pm:
I may consider it just to get away from the potheads. I prefer to live somewhere drugs are illegal and chickens are legal.

But I'm not lying.
https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprings/hens-in-the-hood/Content?oid=1506867
No, I never thought you were lying.  Sorry if it sounded like I doubted you.  I just keep getting surprised at how other states regulate the lives of their citizens. 

Quote:
Here's another interesting excerpt from that article. Even by pampering your biddies, as long as you don't go full-on moonbat and buy organic food, you are saving money over storebought eggs.
I love real natural eggs.  My neighbor used to keep about a dozen hens and she always had plenty to give away.  The yolks were brighter yellow and they had their own flavor rather than being just a platform for butter and salt (not that butter and salt are bad).  Unfortunately some wild dogs actually came and destroyed them right in front of my neighbor.  Her husband ran in and got his .44 and killed them but it was too late for the hens.  She didn't have the heart to replace them.

Quote:
So yes, the nasty battery farms really are doing it just to make massive profits, exactly as the news expo claims.

The free market forces them to do this, to compete. The good guy egg company who lets hens range and makes less profits, but still some, just as the article tells me I might do, can't compete with the battery cage cruelty farms on the free market.

I find it disgusting.

But if I could just have my own chickens I'd find it tolerable.

My ideal chicken has this colour, face, and shanks:
http://cdn-prod.countrysidenetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/Ameraucana-1.jpg

...but with the body of ones like these:
http://www.thehappychickencoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Brahma-Chicken-Siz...
I love animals, and I do prefer that they be treated well whenever possible.  Easily bribable government paid off by the big meat producers is why there are restrictions on small farming, not any health concerns or whatever the excuse is.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Double post again.

I don't know why that keeps happening?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 11:28am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:27pm:
No, I never thought you were lying.  Sorry if it sounded like I doubted you.  I just keep getting surprised at how other states regulate the lives of their citizens. 

I'm just used to Jeff automatically contradicting every word I say.

I love real natural eggs.  My neighbor used to keep about a dozen hens and she always had plenty to give away.  The yolks were brighter yellow and they had their own flavor rather than being just a platform for butter and salt (not that butter and salt are bad).

The reason is protein. Chickens are not natural vegetarians. They're largely insectivores, and they're certainly not scratching the ground for roots and tubers; I'll tell you that much. Tasteless, pale-yolked eggs are a symptom of the same protein deficiency that causes battery hens to eat each other and all their feathers.

Lately, "vegetarian-fed" eggs have become something to be proud of labeling your product. This is deadly for the hen and not nearly as nutritious for the human.

Unfortunately some wild dogs actually came and destroyed them right in front of my neighbor.  Her husband ran in and got his .44 and killed them but it was too late for the hens.  She didn't have the heart to replace them.

I have had the same problem with a ferruginous hawk, dogs, raccoons, and possums. I've always lived where there are laws against killing such things, so it gives me a lot of satisfaction to hear some of the offenders paid for it.

I love animals, and I do prefer that they be treated well whenever possible.  Easily bribable government paid off by the big meat producers is why there are restrictions on small farming, not any health concerns or whatever the excuse is.

I agree that that's true. I just wish you could pay the egg company their owed tribute and have the chickens anyway. Let's say I spend $7 on eggs every month; I could just give them that amount for a free pass to grow my own. Everybody wins. The business gets the money they're entitled to, and I don't have to eat their nasty cruelty-farm eggs.

It's the pretence to freedom from the guilds that bothers me. If we could just admit what capitalism really is (guildism) and run with it, I'd be perfectly happy.

Libertarianism is a form of guildism too. I don't believe for a second that I'll be able to run my own private court and declare thieves guilty when they steal from me. I will need to purchase the services of a Guilded private court. And the market would be chaos if everyone who wanted to run a private court was allowed to compete.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › California Egg Law Too Far-Reaching & "unConstitutional"
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy