Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Can UHC Patients Bribe Their way to Top of Wait Lists?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can UHC Patients Bribe Their way to Top of Wait Lists? (Read 59 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Can UHC Patients Bribe Their way to Top of Wait Lists?
Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The default answer would be yes, since bribery happens in every government and the more intrusive the government, the more the corruption.  Usually, the sums needed are relatively small, especially compared to the life-and-death nature of one's place on a waiting list.  So it's not about being rich enough to bribe someone - the rich don't bother with waiting lists since the U.S. is only a plane ride away.  It's about knowing someone to bribe without getting caught. 

Or maybe universal health care systems have found the magic way to stop that kind of low-level corruption that infests every other government operation.  If so please describe how they guarantee that there is no pay-to-play in UHC.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Can UHC Patients Bribe Their way to Top of Wait Lists?
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
In general, government "officials" and their employees and cronies will have their own special and separate "system". They will write exemptions into the law for themselves, or they will turn a blind eye to violations by their friends and cronies.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
The evidence I've read regarding Canada is that you're better off being friend of the local doctor's.  They're more likely to help a friend ahead in line than take a bribe.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13am:
In general, government "officials" and their employees and cronies will have their own special and separate "system". They will write exemptions into the law for themselves, or they will turn a blind eye to violations by their friends and cronies.
That's certainly the way Obamacare is written.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:37pm:
The default answer would be yes, since bribery happens in every government and the more intrusive the government, the more the corruption.  Usually, the sums needed are relatively small, especially compared to the life-and-death nature of one's place on a waiting list.  So it's not about being rich enough to bribe someone - the rich don't bother with waiting lists since the U.S. is only a plane ride away.  It's about knowing someone to bribe without getting caught. 

Or maybe universal health care systems have found the magic way to stop that kind of low-level corruption that infests every other government operation.  If so please describe how they guarantee that there is no pay-to-play in UHC.

If you weren't so bitter about the smackdown Ron Paul dealt to your promotion of the US's failed system, you could be thinking of ways to fix it.

All the world's UHC systems are rated as better than the US's for profit system. Stop cutting your noses off to spite your faces.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
If you weren't so bitter about the smackdown Ron Paul dealt to your promotion of the US's failed system, you could be thinking of ways to fix it.

All the world's UHC systems are rated as better than the US's for profit system. Stop cutting your noses off to spite your faces.  Roll Eyes

Oh.

I honestly thought you would answer the question.

Oh, well, I'll take that as a "Yes, but . . . "

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:01pm:
Oh.

I honestly thought you would answer the question.

Oh, well, I'll take that as a "Yes, but . . . "

All the world's UHC systems are rated as better than the US's for profit system. Stop cutting your noses off to spite your faces.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Don, you requested that I post serious about UHC and promised you would answer them.

When your belief system forces you to provide insults instead of answers, it's time to re-think your system.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 2:39pm:
Don, you requested that I post serious about UHC and promised you would answer them.

When your belief system forces you to provide insults instead of answers, it's time to re-think your system.

I did promise to answer serious questions and so ask me any question and I'll answer it.

I've made the same offer to jeff a hundred times but he doesn't ever ask 'the' question. He wants to know how much I get paid to post on this forum. You could ask for Jeff!

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:08pm:
I did promise to answer serious questions and so ask me any question and I'll answer it.

I've made the same offer to jeff a hundred times but he doesn't ever ask 'the' question. He wants to know how much I get paid to post on this forum. You could ask for Jeff!
My OP is a completely serious question.

You agree that UHC countries have waiting lists, you agree that government maintains those waiting lists.  Government is noted for being bribed.  So the question is how does the government of a UHC country ensure that the waiting lists are not corrupted so that poor people go to the bottom and rich people get to the top?

If you don't want to answer, don't.  That's your right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Can UHC Patients Bribe Their way to Top of Wait Lists?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy