Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › USA Fed Gov't to be sort of shrunk: FDA personnel to be in CPSC?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) USA Fed Gov't to be sort of shrunk: FDA personnel to be in CPSC? (Read 332 times)
AlayneLeung
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

USA Fed Gov't to be sort of shrunk: FDA personnel to be in CPSC?
Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Here's what my Green Party of the United States friend told me: he told his elected members of Congress to transfer all Food & Drug Administration personnel into the Consumers' Products Safety Commission; and to have current CPSC personnel to be multitrained how to detect and recall badfoods & badbeverages & baddrugs in addition to detecting other unsafe products; and also to have those former FDA personnel, that will be in CPSC, to be multitrained to detect unsafe products as well as detecting and recall badfoods & badbeverages & baddrugs.  So my message to all United States of America Libertarians is: tell your elected members of Congress to support that idea.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Re: USA Fed Gov't to be sort of shrunk: FDA personnel to be in CPSC?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:05am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:52am:
Here's what my Green Party of the United States friend told me: he told his elected members of Congress to transfer all Food & Drug Administration personnel into the Consumers' Products Safety Commission; and to have current CPSC personnel to be multitrained how to detect and recall badfoods & badbeverages & baddrugs in addition to detecting other unsafe products; and also to have those former FDA personnel, that will be in CPSC, to be multitrained to detect unsafe products as well as detecting and recall badfoods & badbeverages & baddrugs.  So my message to all United States of America Libertarians is: tell your elected members of Congress to support that idea.
Just from what you describe, it sounds like a tiny half-step sort of sideways but sort of in the right direction.  But why does the Green party support it? 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:10am
Print Post  
That friend of mine had started that idea on his own, so I don't know if the Green Party of the United States would support that idea.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:57am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:05am:
Just from what you describe, it sounds like a tiny half-step sort of sideways but sort of in the right direction.  But why does the Green party support it? 

the 'smaller government' notion is most likely a scam that's been promoted by the right in this case. Regulation of business and industry is a friend of the people and the enemy of irresponsible businesses. Businesses get sued for infractions that do people harm.

If you pseudo-libertarians could bring yourselves to see it in that light, a good half of your agenda aimed at smaller government would collapse.

It's competely mystifying to me that any middle class or others with little wealth would support such a thing.

I keep wondering why thumper isn't picking up on the 'sound' of socially responsible captialism at least. This would be an invitation to anyone who is interested.

As an aside, would any libertarian claim that isn't Trump's agenda on these sort of issues? Ignorant libertarians would support such nonsense. Wiser libertarians would more likely see through the efforts to destroy sensible and necessary regulation.

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Don_G, I wasn't trying to promote unregulated businesses; and burnsred, I wasn't trying to promote frivolous recalls of unsafe products; I was simply posting my friend's idea that the FDA could be abolished by sending FDA personnel into CPSC.  While that technically makes the USA Fed Gov't smaller by having one part abolished, the CPSC would theoretically have more personnel to examine more unsafe products (food, medicine, toys, tools, etc.).

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:57am:
I keep wondering why thumper isn't picking up on the 'sound' of socially responsible captialism at least. This would be an invitation to anyone who is interested.

Socially responsible captialism does have a nice 'sound' to it... It's made up of words that make us feel warm and safe.  Sorta like "Internal Revenue Service"  and "New World Order" are very pleasant sounding terms until we peel back the veneer and uncover the horrors that lie beneath.

These are all deceptive 'code' terms for Big government and less individual liberty. No wonder we libertarians are skeptical.

“As government expands, liberty contracts.” - Ronald Reagan

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:22pm:
Socially responsible captialism does have a nice 'sound' to it... It's made up of words that make us feel warm and safe.  Sorta like "Internal Revenue Service"  and "New World Order" are very pleasant sounding terms until we peel back the veneer and uncover the horrors that lie beneath.

These are all deceptive 'code' terms for Big government and less individual liberty. No wonder we libertarians are skeptical.

“As government expands, liberty contracts.” - Ronald Reagan

I'm inviting your skepticism but I don't think it's fair to ask me to redefine three simple words. I could call it something else if you could come up with words you would prefer.

If you're ready for a conversation then let's do so. I'll start by saying that most of the meaning to me, at least, is government that has eliminated the corruption and abuse.

That is likely utopian to believe government can ever be that. But it's not utopian to demand it and expect to achieve at least a part of it.

So far my example is completely within the confines and ideals of libertarianism.

I think it's going to be seen by some of the relevant others as a challenge they are going to have to put down with the regular scamming attempts. For that reason the discussion could still be premature.

At least it's an honest attempt with you so we'll see how you choose to handle it.

A current discussion that could be picked up on is 'smaller government'. It's one of the main priorities with your politics. I have ideas I want to float with you.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:52am:

Better idea.  Let's eliminate the FDA and cut the spending from the budget

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:43pm:
Better idea.  Let's eliminate the FDA and cut the spending from the budget
Yes, always the obvious first choice for libertarians.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:07pm:
Yes, always the obvious first choice for libertarians.

Let's start with the best ideas

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › USA Fed Gov't to be sort of shrunk: FDA personnel to be in CPSC?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy