Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Nobody Is 100% Libertarian
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nobody Is 100% Libertarian (Read 20757 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Nobody Is 100% Libertarian
Reply #610 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 8:47am:
The question would be, "Should murderers and rapists and other violent felons be permitted to vote?"

Would Bernie answer yes to that?
He plainly said that he would.

"I think the right to vote is inherent to our democracy - yes, even for terrible people, because once you start chipping away, you're running down a slippery slope."

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #611 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
First off, thank you for the response free of insults. Continue to do this and I plan on keeping my word and offing myself on May 4th instead of waiting for the end of the holidays this year.

The question would be, "Should murderers and rapists and other violent felons be permitted to vote?"

My question is why the Hell not? What do you think they'll do, legalise murder and rape? Elect Charles Manson? If so many people are in prison for murder and rape that they can do either of these things, you have bigger problems than them voting.

Would Bernie answer yes to that? Perhaps explaining that the opinions of murderers and rapists are important in electing the best people to our government?

He's a politician so he'd probably just pour out some sap to win the argument, which it would, because that's what works.

I imagine he'd leverage the few votes of the few innocent people who are certainly in prison for murder and rape, saying those votes are sacrosanct.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #612 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:00am:
He plainly said that he would.

"I think the right to vote is inherent to our democracy - yes, even for terrible people, because once you start chipping away, you're running down a slippery slope."
Referring to our form of government as a "democracy" is the slippery slope "progressives" have been taking us down since the 17th Amendment was adopted.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #613 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:07am:
My question is why the Hell not?
Since there are actually not all that many people in prison for murder, rape and physical assault, the chance that their votes would sway an election are minimal.

Because so many people are in prison for crimes without victims or non-violent crimes, allowing all of them to vote could easily sway an election.

Since it doesn't seem likely that all those people will be released any time soon, maybe we could compromise and let all prisoners except those convicted of murder, rape and physical assault vote.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #614 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 1:46pm:
Referring to our form of government as a "democracy" is the slippery slope "progressives" have been taking us down since the 17th Amendment was adopted.
Good point.   Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #615 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 2:05pm:
Good point.   Smiley
Thanks. Every time they make the U.S. "more democratic", our government becomes more tyrannical... I believe there is a direct connection. Shocked

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #616 - May 9th, 2019 at 4:17am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:07am:
First off, thank you for the response free of insults. Continue to do this and I plan on keeping my word and offing myself on May 4th instead of waiting for the end of the holidays this year.

My question is why the Hell not? What do you think they'll do, legalise murder and rape? Elect Charles Manson? If so many people are in prison for murder and rape that they can do either of these things, you have bigger problems than them voting.

He's a politician so he'd probably just pour out some sap to win the argument, which it would, because that's what works.

I imagine he'd leverage the few votes of the few innocent people who are certainly in prison for murder and rape, saying those votes are sacrosanct.

The reason to not let convicted felons vote is they are not citizens in good standing, so by the fifth amendment their rights can Constitutionally abridge them and we should abridge them because they have victimized other citizens.  Why should you be able to kill someone and continue to vote while they can't?

I would eliminate the right of convicted felons to ever vote, a price of the crime.  Unless they are able to overturn the conviction

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Nobody Is 100% Libertarian
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy