Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › healthcare rationing.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) healthcare rationing. (Read 489 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: healthcare rationing.
Reply #20 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
Freedom is inversely proportional to the size of government - the bigger government becomes, the less freedom we have.  This is always the case.

Because, what does government do when they are in session?  They make Laws, of course.  Laws which take away our freedoms.

A long time ago, they at least pretended to follow constitutional guidelines, but in October 2001 they stopped pretending.

The PATRIOT Act was passed. It was in direct violation of the 4th Amendment.  Supreme Court pretended not to notice.  I'm glad it happened, though.   It was on that day I realized that government was no longer acting on behalf of the People. So I became a Libertarian. 

I'm beginning to think you may have a point. What laws take away your freedom?

You are saying you want the freedom to act unlawfully. What laws do you wish to ignore or break?

The laws that protect against victimless crimes? Which specific laws? You like to make libertarian noises but you never stand behind your claims.

Maybe now would be a good time to start, rather than spamming with your cartoons when your feet are held to the fire.

Bigger government doesn't lead to less freedom. Good government leads to more real freedoms. Something you don't identify with because you despise the idea that government can be good government.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:39pm:
Bigger government doesn't lead to less freedom.

The US is a perfect example of unchecked government expansion and diminishing liberties. 

Big Government always leads to reckless spending, abuses of power, Military intervention, taxes and debt.

Hong Kong, Switzerland, and New Zealand have very limited governments and a small Military - it's no coincidence that they are also the freest countries.

(Hong Kong doesnt have any military)

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:50am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
Freedom is inversely proportional to the size of government - the bigger government becomes, the less freedom we have.  This is always the case.

Then logic dictates that to maximise freedom, we should have zero government.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:26am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:50am:
Yes, so what?

In the real world, having no government also maximizes the freedom of all those people who prefer the law of the jungle over the NAP.

Let's talk about practical ways to maximize liberty and protect rights too.

Here's a non-healthcare 'problem' that a government has pursued to the same end, high cost and limited availability.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/15/los-angeles-wants-to-make-housing-afford?utm_m...

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:28am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:50am:

Yes. The freest people in history were those who had no government 12 thousand years ago.  But they were barbarians too, so their quality of life probably wasn't very good even with all their freedom.

I don't know of anyone who thinks we should have zero government,  but I've heard they exist. Most sensible libertarians just want to down-size government - to reduce it's scope and powers.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:52am
Print Post  
We would be more free under an actual libertarian government, because that government would exist solely to protect our freedom.  However, no libertarian government has ever existed.

If there ever were true anarchy, I would think there would be more freedom at first, but then gangs would quickly form to perform the three major functions of non-libertarian government which are killing, stealing and enslaving.

That is the difference between anarchy and libertarianism.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:52am:
We would be more free under an actual libertarian government, because that government would exist solely to protect our freedom.  However, no libertarian government has ever existed.

If there ever were true anarchy, I would think there would be more freedom at first, but then gangs would quickly form to perform the three major functions of non-libertarian government which are killing, stealing and enslaving.

That is the difference between anarchy and libertarianism.

Just in case anybody is still confused, good government is the answer and it isn't dependent on keeping it small. In fact bigger government is compatible with good government.

Unfortunately, Americans can't think of good government because that has been disqualified by those who want to keep the status quo.

And then ordinatry people such as thos on this forum keep wanting libertarian government at the same time as they realize that it has never existed and can never be.

What's the solution burnsred?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:52am:

What powers would "an actual libertarian government have"?

You say it would protect our freedom.

How would it do that? If a group of local people decided to make me their slave, what would a libertarian government do to restore my freedom? Would they have the authority to use force against all sorts of aggression?

You frequently speak of a "libertarian government", yet I have no idea what you imagine it would be... Would it be governed by law? How would it be funded? Who would be "the government"? How would they be chosen?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:16pm:
What powers would "an actual libertarian government have"?

You say it would protect our freedom.

How would it do that? If a group of local people decided to make me their slave, what would a libertarian government do to restore my freedom? Would they have the authority to use force against all sorts of aggression?

You frequently speak of a "libertarian government", yet I have no idea what you imagine it would be... Would it be governed by law? How would it be funded? Who would be "the government"? How would they be chosen?

Great questions Jeff. I hope he doesn't just ignore them because he knows they're my questions he thinks he doesn't have to answer.

You're starting to  make some big changes from the way you were 6 months ago. You're certainly not pretending to be one of the pseudo-libertarians anymore!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:38pm:
Great questions Jeff. I hope he doesn't just ignore them because he knows they're my questions he thinks he doesn't have to answer.

You claim my questions as your own?

Thief. Dolt. Ask kaz your own questions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › healthcare rationing.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy