Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another Government Train Wreck
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Government Train Wreck (Read 241 times)
burnsred
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Another Government Train Wreck
Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
No, I man a literal train wreck by the government railroad:

http://katu.com/news/local/derailed-train-falls-off-bridge-onto-i-5-lanes-south-...

It's a train.  It's almost always fine if it just stays on the tracks.  How is that hard?  Who but government would screw that up?

Why do we keep pumping money into a government-run passenger railroad?  Just nostalgia?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Another Government Train Wreck
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:40pm:
Why do we keep pumping money into a government-run passenger railroad?  Just nostalgia?
They have 20,000 employees who are likely to vote for proponents of big government?
They run nice services in and around Washington D.C. that are very convenient for our Congressmen and government employees?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Sorry, I forgot to mention cronyism.
Amtrak cronies will make lawmakers happy to help them. Lots of opportunities for corruption.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:40pm:
No, I man a literal train wreck by the government railroad:

http://katu.com/news/local/derailed-train-falls-off-bridge-onto-i-5-lanes-south-...

It's a train.  It's almost always fine if it just stays on the tracks.  How is that hard?  Who but government would screw that up?

hundreds of train wrecks in the land of the gun to complain about and burnsred picks on the government because it has one!

Complain, complain, complain.

Nothing is right in the land of the gun and it's all government's fault. Nothing at all to do with the rightist wingnuts who elect them and hve been mindfukked into never even considering socially responsible government.

Happy holidays burnsred, work on finding some shoes that fit you and won't make you so cranky!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:53pm:
hundreds of train wrecks...
No. Another lie on your part.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
Sorry, I forgot to mention cronyism.
Amtrak cronies will make lawmakers happy to help them. Lots of opportunities for corruption.

Quote:
They have 20,000 employees who are likely to vote for proponents of big government?
They run nice services in and around Washington D.C. that are very convenient for our Congressmen and government employees?

Those are some good reasons.

I think it's also just that in general, the statists will never admit a government program is a failure. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:12am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 18th, 2017 at 8:33pm:
Those are some good reasons.

I think it's also just that in general, the statists will never admit a government program is a failure. 

Amtrak is a great success as long as you don't care that taxpayers have to subsidize it... And people that think taxpayers should subsidize everything would probably like to expand it.

Anyway, I read today that the train was going 80mph and didn't slow down for a posted 30mph curve. And I also read that anarchists/terrorists have been planning to derail trains.

Will there be a good NTSB investigation? Time will tell.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:12am:
Amtrak is a great success as long as you don't care that taxpayers have to subsidize it... And people that think taxpayers should subsidize everything would probably like to expand it.

Anyway, I read today that the train was going 80mph and didn't slow down for a posted 30mph curve. And I also read that anarchists/terrorists have been planning to derail trains.

Will there be a good NTSB investigation? Time will tell.

It could be a case of bad government reaping it's benefits. It was the first passenger run and it's been explained already why it happened.

there are similarities with dismantling OSHA. A safety device could have prevented this accident. The Trump government mentality would be for saving the money it would have cost to have those deviced installed on this train.

Greedy and irresponsible capitalism will get what it pays for, no more, no less.

"they sing the praises of humanity,
But they know machines cost more than men."

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
"The National Transportation Safety said late Monday night, preliminary reports from the data recorder in the rear locomotive show the train was going 80 miles per hour on a 30 mile per hour track."

Shocked  They should take it slower next time.  There's a reason for speed limits! 

Government!!!  -  can't live with 'em  -  can't just shoot 'em.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 12:43pm:
"The National Transportation Safety said late Monday night, preliminary reports from the data recorder in the rear locomotive show the train was going 80 miles per hour on a 30 mile per hour track."

Shocked  They should take it slower next time.  There's a reason for speed limits! 

Government!!!  -  can't live with 'em  -  can't just shoot 'em.

There are devices available that take over and automatically slow a train down when it exceeds the speed limit. They weren't installed. This can be blamed on government. Bad government!

What should be done but likely won't be done is trace the issue back to the reason why they weren't installed and cause some heads to roll.

Cost saving is the likely first suspect.

Trump and his government mindset can save money in the short term and demonstrate success. But the cost of that sort of mentality comes with a much higher cost in the end.

It's going to be demonstrated in many ways now as the Trump ideology and the Republican ideology becomes more the norm.

This is an opportunity for libertarians to practice what they preach. Do they believe what they preach about bad government and consequences such as this train wreck, or are they just Republicans at heart?

You get to go first Chief!

edit: It's also a pure case of libertarianism hitting a wall on government regulations. Is the cause something that libertarians can run with or is it something that they are going to be able to realize they have to make compromises over?

there couldn't be a better test for the libertarian agenda!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another Government Train Wreck
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy